ART PRo VLA; Made In China?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
vortexunion
audio school graduate

ART PRo VLA; Made In China?

Post by vortexunion » Fri Oct 29, 2004 4:52 pm

So I just received my art Pro VLA that I ordered online. I've heard good things about this unit and have been excited about the features available at this price. I unpacked it and looked at the back of the unit to see a "Made In China" sticker. I looked at the box and saw "Made in China". I looked at their website and every other advert for it : "Designed and Manufactured in the USA" I've sent them an email voicing my frustrations. It's not that I have anything against the Chinese; I just know the labor is cheaper, the quality control not as rigid, and this is false advertising. Has this happened to anyone else? If so, what did you do?
:evil:

slowblue
gettin' sounds

Re: ART PRo VLA; Made In China?

Post by slowblue » Fri Oct 29, 2004 4:57 pm

On the topic I've just returned my second Pro VLA back to MF, the first one had a bad power supply the second wouldn't pass sound on one channel when the compressor was engaged. Hopefully 3rd's a charm. Maybe this is a sign to get a refund and save for a Distressor.

vortexunion
audio school graduate

Post by vortexunion » Fri Oct 29, 2004 10:44 pm

yeah, it makes me wonder if ART is cashing in on some good press by lowering standards and manufacturing costs while selling at the same price.

Milkmansound
george martin

Post by Milkmansound » Fri Oct 29, 2004 11:49 pm

mine does not say made in China - and it works fine. Also recently purchased from MF because of the closeout post. Hmmm... maybe there is something evil behind the close out? Aka, move as many as you can (the USA ones were probably the first out) and replace with crap for lower cost... You have to admit, its a money maker of a plan. However: weak!
(((((((((((((((((((((((((())))))))))))))))))))))))))))
www.pedalsteelamp.com
www.milkmansound.com
Follow me on Facebook!

vortexunion
audio school graduate

Post by vortexunion » Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:01 pm

I received a prompt response from ART apologizing for the oversight. They've recommended an exchange or return from the dealer it was purchased from and their website has been changed; omitting the "Designed and made in the United States" I'm hoping to get an exchange for one of the last remaining US made units.

Theron D
pushin' record

Post by Theron D » Wed Dec 01, 2004 9:26 am

My "made in China" VLA seems to be working fine. Probably will never deal with MF again, but is there a "sonic" difference cwhen ompared to the American version??? Or is it just bragging rights for the having the VLA (made in America) version?

Theron D

bigtoe
deaf.

Post by bigtoe » Wed Dec 01, 2004 9:36 am

are standards really that much higher for this low end crap when it's made in the us compared to china? i mean the quality control issue.

no offense to anyone - but i picture a bunch of underpaid immigrants doing the assembling anyway here in the states! i know some of the assembling stuff done here in some Clevo places relies on a lot of Vietnamese immigrants. Low pay - bad work - poor conditions. i'd be curious to have seen their plant and the conditions. maybe it's good but something tells me there's a good chance it's sucksville.

Just a blab from a piece of cake being washed down with slim fast.

Burp,
Mike
edit - me talk pretty one day.

nestle
re-cappin' neve

Post by nestle » Wed Dec 01, 2004 9:54 am

really good point, like my friend says about Fender. Does it really make a difference if you buy a Tele made in the USA by mexicans or Mexicican Tele made in Mexico by mexicans? Lets face it its time to let go of the Made in USA meaning anything in this world. Soon the dollar will slide so low against world currencies we might become the next Mexico and China as far as manufacturing. Why else do you think Neumanns cost so much now, its not because they are that great it's because the euro is that strong. Get used to the China thing because we need that cheep labor to enjoy our WalMart pro VLA lifestyle-

Are You Chaka Kahn?
audio school

Post by Are You Chaka Kahn? » Wed Dec 01, 2004 4:47 pm

Not that I'm saying either way (USA or China), But I just got my VLA from Musicians Friend (made in China) and within two minutes of turning it on, the lights on it blew out. The worst part is the one that I got was already a returned one, They tried to hide the RMA number written on the box with a piece of tape...Shady bunch I say!

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Wed Dec 01, 2004 4:57 pm

Are You Chaka Kahn? wrote:Not that I'm saying either way (USA or China), But I just got my VLA from Musicians Friend (made in China) and within two minutes of turning it on, the lights on it blew out. The worst part is the one that I got was already a returned one, They tried to hide the RMA number written on the box with a piece of tape...Shady bunch I say!
fukin' dickfers...

colinandrew12
gettin' sounds

Post by colinandrew12 » Thu Dec 02, 2004 2:07 am

i got mine about a week ago and it'll be an xmas present....however, i was allowed to open it up and try it out and make sure it worked in case it had to go back.....so i got it all open..saw that it came with some replacements somethings (fuses or bulbs or something, didn't really look...just saw replacement somethings)....and then hooked it up....i ran it as an insert in pro tools onto a kick drum track and then onto some overheads and room mics. i only got to play with it for about 20 minutes but from what i could tell, i fucking LOVE it. it did ok on the kick drum track (the kick drum wasn't the best sounding in the world, so i'm sure it'd sound better on something better) but that thing just SHINED on the overheads and the rooms mics. i thought it sounding really cool, much like the LA-4s that a friend of mine uses. i'm definitely pleased with such a useful and inexpensive piece of gear. also, mine did NOT have the made in china sticker on the back...so who knows....
...just remember, when doing live sound: you can't polish a turd....

rich
alignin' 24-trk

Post by rich » Thu Dec 02, 2004 3:30 am

i have had one of these for a while adnd i love it. its an older one with no made in china sticker on it and it works great. the only thing that went out on it is 1 of the vu lights and i could care less. i actually bought 2 more of these because i like them so much and havnt had probs with either of them. sucks that some people have had problems as when people ask for cheap comp, this is the first one i allways mention.

konabuzz
takin' a dinner break

Post by konabuzz » Thu Dec 02, 2004 4:31 am

vortexunion wrote:I received a prompt response from ART apologizing for the oversight. They've recommended an exchange or return from the dealer it was purchased from and their website has been changed; omitting the "Designed and made in the United States" I'm hoping to get an exchange for one of the last remaining US made units.
I find this interesting as I had a lengthy phone converstation with the sales manager and the technical manager at ART about a month ago after after the original "made in China?!?!" thread came out re. the ART Pro VLA.

I, too, bought one from MF after the intitial "tip" was posted here, and I don't regret it for one minute. Ultimately, my VLA performs just as it's claimed to -- that is, wonderfully.

Believe me....I scrambled as fast as can be to the back of my rack to see where mine was made and felt like the biggest chump when I saw the "Made in China" sticker. Damn my luck, it was just past the return limit for MF -- I'm stuck! So, my next recourse was to hop on the phone and tear the guys at ART a new one.

Here's what I was told....and these were pretty decent fellows -- I feel they were totally honest and above-board with me. The sales manager said that they use the same componentry as when they were made in the USA but they hadn't been made here for at LEAST 2 years! Ok...What about quality control? Each one is tested in the US after assemby and must meet original spec's. Ok....I mentioned this thread and that some guys seem to be getting the occasional American-made model from MF. He expressed surprise and surmised that MF must have had a few USA-made units left in stock and again insisted that they haven't been made here for at least two years. Hmmmm......I then was transferred to the technical department and had a long conversation re. the said componentry and ultimately was completely put at ease -- this IS the same in every respect as the American-made version of years gone by.

I love mine.....perfect complement to my RNC and Symetrix 501 and other oddball compressors.

No, I don't work for ART....: ).....but I do feel better after
making that call to them.

Oh, by the way.....first I attempted to get MF to bend their 60 (?) day return policy, but no go. I then pointed out that it was false advertising claiming that the Pro VLA was "made in USA", which would have been grounds for a return, but they pointed out that no where does it actually claim to be "Made in USA" . Has anyone actually seen this? I'm wondering if it was there originally several months ago when this all started.....it's not on their site now (with respect to the VLA)
"Jigsaw Jazz and the Get Fresh Flow"

http://www.youtube.com/user/simpletech?feature=mhee

lancebug
re-cappin' neve

Post by lancebug » Thu Dec 02, 2004 4:37 pm

Sorry I cant make the quote function work so here goes:

"Does it really make a difference if you buy a Tele made in the USA by mexicans or Mexicican Tele made in Mexico by mexicans? Lets face it its time to let go of the Made in USA meaning anything in this world. Soon the dollar will slide so low against world currencies we might become the next Mexico and China as far as manufacturing. Why else do you think Neumanns cost so much now, its not because they are that great it's because the euro is that strong. Get used to the China thing because we need that cheep labor to enjoy our WalMart pro VLA lifestyle-"

My response: I dont really think that ethnic origin is important in who makes my products. What I do care about is that when they recieve their paychecks that they have the oprtunity to spend the money I gave them on the products and services that my friends family and neighbors make their livings from and that some of the money I paid them goes to pay the taxes that support things like the parks and streets that I use. When my money goes out of the country, it leaves the community I live in.

Albert
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Albert » Thu Dec 02, 2004 7:40 pm

It's basically impossible to live your life buying "Made in USA" only. It's much bigger than just where the ART PRO VLA gets made. The US trade deficit with China is $150 *billion*. This year alone it's going to be $18 billion. That's a lot of PRO VLA's, and some other stuff thrown in.

Even made in USA products are loaded with parts built overseas. Buy a Ford or GM car and it will have TONS of foreign made parts inside. They should almost say "assembled" in the USA.

It's a great sentiment to want your money to stay in the neighborhood so to speak, and I agree with that feeling. But it is virtually impossible to make it a reality these days. Try it, I dare ya! Try to purchase only American made products where the entire product is made in the USA. Good luck! :-)