help with studio foam placement

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
the_riff
takin' a dinner break

help with studio foam placement

Post by the_riff » Sun Oct 31, 2004 3:51 pm

So here is the layout of my studio. I recently bought some studio foam 24"x48"x3". I'm definitely putting some up in the ISo booth to start off. But I'm going to have some left over and wanted to put it in the control room to kill some of the live-ness... Any ideas on what I can do as far as placement or shall I just experiment? I was thinking to start off by putting some on the wall where the couch is against....

BTW. The ceilings are 8'. Thanks!

jajjguy
re-cappin' neve

Re: help with studio foam placement

Post by jajjguy » Sun Oct 31, 2004 4:17 pm

consider your walls as mirrors, and your speakers as flashlights. there are certain points on your walls that will reflect the sound from the speakers directly to your listening chair. deaden those spots with foam.

this method ("ray tracing") only works for higher frequencies, but then again the foam only works for higher frequencies anyway... :roll:

JASIII
george martin

Post by JASIII » Sun Oct 31, 2004 5:16 pm

nice avatar, is that Freddie Mercury?
"If you will starve unless you become a rock star, then you have bigger problems than whether or not you are a rock star. " - Steve Albini

googacky
pushin' record

Post by googacky » Sun Oct 31, 2004 10:41 pm

sit at your mix position and have a friend slide a mirror around on the side walls. when you can see you speakers in the mirror, mark the spot and hang foam there. this procedure will help kill reflections at your mix position. and don't forget about the ceiling.

the_riff
takin' a dinner break

Post by the_riff » Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:39 pm

I was just going to ask about the ceiling.... Woudl I do this same trick with the mirrors on the ceiling as well? Thanks, this is useful info!

BTW, the avatar is the amazing Borat from the Ali G show :)

googacky
pushin' record

Post by googacky » Mon Nov 01, 2004 3:59 am

the mirror trick will work for the ceiling as well. you're basically looking for the points where sound is reflecting off of the walls to your mix position. check out ethan winer's site for all kinds of great information about acoustics.

http://www.realtraps.com/