pink floyd live at pompeii what mics were used?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
versuviusx
re-cappin' neve

pink floyd live at pompeii what mics were used?

Post by versuviusx » Mon Nov 01, 2004 8:16 am

hey i just found out about PF at pompeii. i saw it and i was blown away. one that ing that really got my attention was that it was 70's color but with DVD clarity. it was really cool. also they have lots of shots with them singing but i can't make out what kind of mics they are using. it's like the name of the mics were blurred out on purpose. i think they are sennheisers but i have no idea. never seen them before.

cgarges
zen recordist

Re: pink floyd live at pompeii what mics were used?

Post by cgarges » Mon Nov 01, 2004 8:53 am

They're singing into the Echolette versions of the Sennheiser MD409s. I'm not sure what's being used on the instruments.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Coco
re-cappin' neve

Post by Coco » Mon Nov 01, 2004 9:05 am

You are correct. Sennheiser MD409's for vocal mics. The older ones with the pivot on the stand mount. I can not remember what drum mics were used, I will have to watch it again. The only lame thing was the footage added of the space shuttle taking off and the computer animation. It was suposed to be the director's cut but somehow I don't think the space shutle was around in the early seventies.
I know enough to know that I don't know what I am doing.

Generals and Majors http://www.myspace.com/generalsandmajors

Dr. Sausage
gettin' sounds

Post by Dr. Sausage » Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:20 am

Coco wrote:You are correct. Sennheiser MD409's for vocal mics. The older ones with the pivot on the stand mount. I can not remember what drum mics were used, I will have to watch it again. The only lame thing was the footage added of the space shuttle taking off and the computer animation. It was suposed to be the director's cut but somehow I don't think the space shutle was around in the early seventies.
Ugh the director's cut pissed me off so much. even the original version pisses me off with the random shots of pompeii. Just stick to the band playing, no fancy artsy shots. The director of Stop Making Sense had this technique perfect. My favorite concert film no doubt.

Soda
ass engineer

Post by Soda » Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:26 am

I haven't see the film in a couple months but I do own it and don't remember seeing any space shuttle. I do remember seeing the Mercury/Apollo rocket blasting off. That was 60's rocket footage. And yeah, I think those were the Sennheiser MD409's and not the Echollete versions. But hey, how about all those Binson Echorecs layin' in the dirt!
Jason :roll:

Knights Who Say Neve
buyin' a studio

Post by Knights Who Say Neve » Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:37 am

The director's cut has computer animated footage of the Voyager craft, Jupiter,etc. that post-date the original film. I think the Director put together the Director's Cut for the DVD release. Not to worry, the concert-only version is on the DVD too.

This is my favorite era of Floyd so I have to speak up. :-)

Do you think they overdubbed the vocals in the studio? Or is it really a live recording? Did they use a mobile truck?

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Mon Nov 01, 2004 11:08 am

Soda wrote:And yeah, I think those were the Sennheiser MD409's and not the Echollete versions.
I used to have one of the original posters that came with the "Dark Side Of The Moon" LP (if that says something about my age) and they had closeups of some of the guys singing into the Echolettes. That was my first exposure to them. I remember the Echolette logo on the mics. I assumed they were the same in the Pompeii movie.

Hey Soda, do you work at Echo Park?

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Last edited by cgarges on Mon Nov 01, 2004 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Mon Nov 01, 2004 11:26 am

I still have one of those posters!
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

Devlars
re-cappin' neve

Post by Devlars » Mon Nov 01, 2004 1:20 pm

Well I would tend to agree with Chris that they are in fact the Echolette microphones and not the Sennheisers. There wouldn't really be a reason for their FOH engineers to switch to a copy of something they had been using for a few years successfully. Not that it isn't possible mind you (as I just saw a site of some band that is trying to recreate Pink Floyds music down to the very mics they use and they have the 409s) just doesn't seem all that logical though.
"Yes, you're very smart. Now shut up."
-Peter Falk
Speakerphone
Rexrode Records

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Mon Nov 01, 2004 1:25 pm

Can anyone tell what's on the back of "Umma Gumma?" I don't have my vinyl copy here.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Soda
ass engineer

Post by Soda » Mon Nov 01, 2004 1:33 pm

cgarges wrote:
Soda wrote:And yeah, I think those were the Sennheiser MD409's and not the Echollete versions.
Hey Soda, do you work at Echo Park?
I'm assuming that's a studio somewhere, right? No, I live in Echo Park in Los Angeles.

jason

GLEA
pushin' record

Post by GLEA » Mon Nov 01, 2004 6:38 pm

I want to say that at least some of the drum mics are Shures... those silver 58 looking jobs... Unidyne, was that what they were called?

That is sort of a goofy movie. The studio bits are very interesting. The first time I saw it I took a big hit of, oh well you don't want to hear about that.

If you can track down the Fillmore TV show from '70 you get a full set, including Atom Heart.
the country that rules magnetism, rules the world
http://www.donovans-brain.com

antilog
george martin

Post by antilog » Tue Nov 02, 2004 5:37 am

strat0tele wrote:
Coco wrote:You are correct. Sennheiser MD409's for vocal mics. The older ones with the pivot on the stand mount. I can not remember what drum mics were used, I will have to watch it again. The only lame thing was the footage added of the space shuttle taking off and the computer animation. It was suposed to be the director's cut but somehow I don't think the space shutle was around in the early seventies.
Ugh the director's cut pissed me off so much. even the original version pisses me off with the random shots of pompeii. Just stick to the band playing, no fancy artsy shots. The director of Stop Making Sense had this technique perfect. My favorite concert film no doubt.
yeah man, the director's cut led to me not liking the people behind the music. esp. nick mason and roger waters. i could have done w/o the "controversial" interviews. in the orginal cut, it was a bit comical, in the director's cut, it just makes them seem like wankers.

and the post original fx were lame.

made me want to syd floyd more.
"Artists to my mind are the real architects of change, and not the political legislators who implement change after the fact." William S Burroughs

Roman Sokal
buyin' gear

Post by Roman Sokal » Tue Nov 02, 2004 6:42 pm

GLEA wrote: If you can track down the Fillmore TV show from '70 you get a full set, including Atom Heart.
its a great set. ive had a zillionth generation copy of it on vhs for years now. i bet itll be officially released someday in order to continue their every 5 year special release in order to keep the band's spirit, public interest and pocketbooks alive! that was done for pbs back in the day.
as for pompeii. that dvd is kind of a waste except for the fact that its newly made available for the masses. too bad they lost the original negatives and multitracks for it which would have made for a stunning technical visual and aural hi-fi and no doubt a surround sound release!
best time was when i lived in santa monica and my friends at a theater who worked there found a 35mm print of it in the back room office. a couple times at midnight we threaded it in the projector and had a private viewing with a handful of die hard fans...
ah the good old days,.,
Last edited by Roman Sokal on Tue Nov 02, 2004 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wonderland
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Wonderland » Tue Nov 02, 2004 9:32 pm

Roman Sokal wrote:best time was when i lived in santa monica and my friends at the nuwilshire theater who worked there found a 35mm print of it in the back room office. a couple times at midnight we got some good grass and threaded it in the projector and had a private viewing with a handful of die hard fans...
ah the good old days,.,
Now that sounds excellent!!! 8)