need help recording sound effects of cars

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
dungeonsound615
suffering 'studio suck'

need help recording sound effects of cars

Post by dungeonsound615 » Mon Nov 01, 2004 3:17 pm

Just wondering what suggestions you might have for a portable recorder to record different sound effects that cars make for a documentary someone is doing.

Im hoping to not spend alot of money I have a small studio setup i just dont have any kind of field recording equipment, and i dont think im getting paid for this just a film credit.

Also any suggestions for recording a car crash sound effect without actually crashing a car, this is th eone i think im going to have some trouble with.

thanks Mike

JGriffin
zen recordist

Re: need help recording sound effects of cars

Post by JGriffin » Mon Nov 01, 2004 3:33 pm

I use a Tascam DAP-1 DAT recorder. It's quite a few years old and models like it can probably be rented for cheap. I have used a variety of mics with it--I like the sony VP-88 as it's a single-point stereo mic and therefore much easier to set up than multiple mics, but I also got some really nice recordings at RoadAmerica this summer using two Radio Shack Highball 2s.

You can also try a sound effects library if you just need generic door slams, drive-bys, car crashes etc. There may even be some good free downloads online somewhere. (I have some sound effects online at Toxicbag.com, though no car sounds, sorry.)

To simulate a car crash without crashing a car? Get a couple of buddies, go into the alley bahind a large building, and roll the trash dumpster into a brick wall as hard as you can. I've never tried it but it just occurred to me and it might work...just don't get arrested.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

EletrikGutar182
alignin' 24-trk

Post by EletrikGutar182 » Mon Nov 01, 2004 4:17 pm

dwlb wrote:I use a Tascam DAP-1 DAT recorder. It's quite a few years old and models like it can probably be rented for cheap. I have used a variety of mics with it--I like the sony VP-88 as it's a single-point stereo mic and therefore much easier to set up than multiple mics, but I also got some really nice recordings at RoadAmerica this summer using two Radio Shack Highball 2s.

You can also try a sound effects library if you just need generic door slams, drive-bys, car crashes etc. There may even be some good free downloads online somewhere. (I have some sound effects online at Toxicbag.com, though no car sounds, sorry.)

To simulate a car crash without crashing a car? Get a couple of buddies, go into the alley bahind a large building, and roll the trash dumpster into a brick wall as hard as you can. I've never tried it but it just occurred to me and it might work...just don't get arrested.
I think that was the Shure VP-88, which I agree would make an excellent field mic (Stereo or M-S Configured Condensor).

Maybe in addition to the crashing dumpster, breaking glass as an overdub would sound good, as would slamming a metal garbage can into the afforementioned brick wall, and record a brake skid (have someone floor their car and then slam on the brakes on an empty street, that is :-D...shotgun mic might work better in that case)

You also may be able to find similar sounds online that are available to borrow/share...

Alex

8th_note
buyin' gear

Post by 8th_note » Mon Nov 01, 2004 4:18 pm

When it comes to a car crash you'll have to decide if you want a realistic sound or what people think a car crash should sound like. A real car crash sounds pretty boring - it's just a "thwop" sound. You could record a buddy squeeling to a stop and then use something like dwlb's suggestion to get the components of a crash. If you want a typical car crash sound effect you'll have to go to a sound effects library.

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Mon Nov 01, 2004 4:30 pm

www.findsounds.com

Here's an example of metal and glass crashing which is a really useful .wav file:

http://www.findsounds.com/ISAPI/search.dll

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Mon Nov 01, 2004 4:36 pm

Ingrediments:

A Marantz portable cassette recorder, the kind with a strap you can sling over your shoulder. This one had the sophisticated dbx noise reduction--pretty clean sound for a cassette. Oh yeah metal tape.

Two Radio Shack Highball 600 ohm microphones, each strapped into the epaulets of your Army surplus jacket, facing straight forward.

Then drive around, with the windows open, with the windows up, out on the highway, through town, all around.

The recordings from a session like that are spooky realistic and you feel the car swaying to and fro, the horns of angered motorists, the sirens. Try it, you'll like it.
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Mon Nov 01, 2004 4:47 pm

If you also need door slams and windows opening and the engine starting, do it in a garage. This way, you'll have less "environmental interference."

dungeonsound615
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by dungeonsound615 » Mon Nov 01, 2004 5:03 pm

I love the dumpster idea i will definatly do that we have a dumpster at my fathers work that or i'll steal the neighbors and use theres at night or something thanks guys great ideas keep them coming.
Mike

Oh so how much you think im gonna need to spend for a recorder or should i just find a place to rent one, is dat better than casette or does it depend on the situation.

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Mon Nov 01, 2004 5:09 pm

You could use a mini disc recorder and a stereo mic. I recommend the Audio-Technica AT822 Stereo Condenser Mic. It sounds quite amazing.

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Mon Nov 01, 2004 8:35 pm

if you're going to be in a car, you can buy one of those car-lighter power adapters. that might increase your recording options.

try adding the sound of something you can crumble in your hand to the dumpster sound - soda can, aluminum foil, styrofoam cup...

will

(I'd be careful with the dumpster idea. you might go through some walls)

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Mon Nov 01, 2004 9:35 pm

EletrikGutar182 wrote: I think that was the Shure VP-88, which I agree would make an excellent field mic (Stereo or M-S Configured Condensor).
You're right, of course. My apologies.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

jca83
carpal tunnel

Post by jca83 » Mon Nov 01, 2004 9:38 pm

so far the opinions are good. i'd like to offer another one...

try shattering glass, throwing metal, all that, and slowing it down via tape, a plug-in, whatever. slowing down a nice glass "smash" turns into a booming and ferocious "CRASH"...

also, for crash sounds, try some good samples others have made and mix in your own crazy sounds you've got. anything works, really.

also, for car noise, the inside the car two mic thing is great. for outside the car shots, try a mic (cheap condenser or 57, something) facing the same direction as the exhaust pipe, taped to the bumper. it'll capture the growl of the car. also, tape a mic to the inside of the hood (most likely a 57) and point it away from any fans or air-moving parts, but towards any nice sounding parts. mix that with your indoor noise and "ambient" outdoor track, and you're set. also, mix in the "outdoor" car noises with the indoor track when you're inside the car.

just an idea or two..
that devil bastard protools

dungeonsound615
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by dungeonsound615 » Tue Nov 02, 2004 2:54 pm

Can someonesuggest some good models of portable recorders, ive been looking at the marantz cassette recorders, and they look pretty good, or what would be the next step up in quality something like a portadat? thanks
Mike

mikeyc
buyin' gear

Post by mikeyc » Tue Nov 02, 2004 3:18 pm

I recorded a car revving once by hanging an RadioShack omni dynamic from the open hood. It came out pretty good.

For a car crash, try putting a bunch of glass in a cardboard box and slam it on concrete. The box gives you a nice thud and it muffles the shattering glass. Plus it cuts down on the mess.

antilog
george martin

Post by antilog » Tue Nov 02, 2004 3:19 pm

i find the marantz solid-state and the hhb minidisc recorders intriguing.
"Artists to my mind are the real architects of change, and not the political legislators who implement change after the fact." William S Burroughs