Hot Snakes, hot sweat pants.

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
J.B.Horns
pushin' record

Hot Snakes, hot sweat pants.

Post by J.B.Horns » Thu Nov 04, 2004 12:53 am

A few years back, I saw a Kiss reunion of sorts on TV. I don't remember if it was the 4th of July or New Years, or if they just had ridiculous pyrotechics for the fun of it. I do remember how embarrassed I felt for them. Here they are in their 50s and they're trying to be cool by dressing in their little costumes, spitting blood and all that shit that made them scary 25 or whatever years ago. The thing that stuck with me about that show was how old and out of shape they looked. The drummer looked like he was trying to keep his brittle arms from breaking by hitting the drums too hard, and the other dudes looked as though they were trying to remember how all their moves went. Let's see, I'll do a little kick here, that was always cool, or I'll shake my head this way then that way, I'll look so bad ass!

Tonight I went to see Hot Snakes. Surprise, surprise, theres only about 50 people there. All of the Drive Like Jehu fans are all grown up, and most of them probably didn't want to be up late on a Wednesday because they have work in the morning. The younger kids are saving their money for Sparta, and probably have never heard of Jehu (let alone Hot Snakes).

I missed the first band, and the second band is hardly worth mentioning. The singer would randomly jump in the air as though he is pretty sure that's what guys who are "into it" do.

Then Hot Snakes plays. As they are playing their first song, I start to think about that Kiss show I saw on TV. There's Mario hitting the drums, but the look on his face presents a feeling of a.) sore joints, b.) dissapointment in the lousy turnout, or c.) he's in "fuckin' Utah" again. Rick is singing, and I'm thinking, there's the voice I've heard a million times on the Jehu records, but he sounds winded, bored or possibly dissapointed in the turnout in "fuckin' Utah". John's packed on a few pounds since last time I saw Rocket From the Crypt, shortly after Scream Dracula Scream came out, and he also looks less than "into it".

There's one guy who comes out to every show. He always wears grey sweat pants, a black windbreaker and a worn and torn old baseball cap. He's got to be in his 50s, but he loves this shit!!! He puts his head down and wiggles all over the place, much like the hippies at a jazz festival. You'd swear he's listening to a different song in that crazy head of his. He's in the crowd for the second band, but I don't see him now. What's this shit??!! He rocks out to everyone from Don Cabellero (an amazing show by the way), to Karate, to the band before Hot Snakes, but where is this guy now? Poor Poor Hot Snakes if they can't even get this guy to stick around.

....Keep in mind, I'm as Jaded as one gets. In my opinion, the last great show I saw (with the exception of Don Caballero a few months back) was Jawbox, right after their final album came out. I didn't really want to go, because frankly, I was pretty hard to impress back then too. I couldn't believe my eyes and ears that night. I spent an entire song staring at Zack's left hand while laughing out loud to myself at the shit he was doing with it. I was blown away! Those mother fuckers were feeling it, and they could fucking play!.....

Back to Hot Snakes-About the third song or so, the crowd starts to get into it. Maybe the first two songs they played were new, and nobody was real familiar yet, but by now people are moving- some are even mouthing the words.
Now, be being the cynic I am, I've never heard Hot Snakes before. Jehu is in my daily rotation in iTunes, but I never took time to give these guys a listen. I decide to come out to the show because I never got to see Drive Like Jehu, and this would be my consolation prize. Of course, I'm going to be cool and stand in the back. I probably won't even clap.
By the fourth song, Mario's got his head down and he's hitting like he means it. John's starting to bend a little at the waist, and Rick is using both lungs. The crowd is feeling it, and so am I- a little. I decide to walk up towards the front of the stage so I can can hear the guitars. Next thing I know, my heads moving up and down, Rick's got a little sweat under his arms and John's starting to really rock out. I don't know who the bass player is, but he wrote SSSSSSSSSS on his shirt in magic marker and he's sporting a sweet mustache. He's starting to win me over too. They play a few more, and goddamnit I'm liking it. For ten minutes I wasn't thinking about what size diapers I need to pick up on the way home, or how am I going to afford a new transmission in my shitty car. Is it worth it, or should I just canel the insurance? My head is going up and down, up and down, my whole leg is shaking, and dare i admit, my eyes would close occasionally and I was completely lost. By now, Rick's shirt is no longer a light khaki color, but it's mostly dark brown from all the sweat. Everybody's going nuts. They play four or five more, and all the while there's no discussion about which small diapragm condenser I should buy. There's not analog vs. digital debate. There's no "Hey Joel, what kind of boombox should I get to check my mixes on"? There's four old guy's kicking my ass for being such a dipshit! This is what it's all about. MUSIC ASSHOLE!!!! These guys can play their fucking instruments, and they've got the attention of 50 or so grown-ups who earlier in the day were likely checking their bank accounts to make sure their wives blown all their money at the Gap.

Goddamnit, it feels good to be in that position again. It's seldom that I can listen to anything anymore without critiquing the recording, songwiting, lyrics and playback system all at the same time. I was listening to music for the first time in a long time. I didn't matter what mic he was singing into (a 58 if you must know). It was music in it's rawness and it's entirety, without the fucking jargon.

Now back to reality- can the Josephson C42 handle enough SPL to mic a snare drum with it, or do I need something with a -10 db pad?

saasquatch
pluggin' in mics

Re: Hot Snakes, hot sweat pants.

Post by saasquatch » Thu Nov 04, 2004 3:45 am

Kick ass man, I'm goin to try and catch them in NYC. There new album Audit in Progress is amazing. Really refreshing for the times, complete pros on there instruments like you said. To bad only 50 people showed up, bands like this need support ya know. Good story man. Oh, did you pick up them diapers?
When you pirate mp3s, your downloading Communism!

DryCounty
buyin' a studio

Post by DryCounty » Thu Nov 04, 2004 4:53 am

J.B.Horns wrote:There's four old guy's kicking my ass for being such a dipshit! This is what it's all about. MUSIC ASSHOLE!!!! These guys can play their fucking instruments, and they've got the attention of 50 or so grown-ups who earlier in the day were likely checking their bank accounts to make sure their wives blown all their money at the Gap.
Just how old are we talking here? I saw Jehu back in ... Christ, must have been 92 or 93? ... and they couldn't have been much older than myself at the time. I'm 33 now. Does that make me an old guy? Should I check my moves?

I've seen Fugazi since their 2nd show and they continue to amaze me, regardless of whether they "rock out" like they used to. They're now in their 40s, but you know what? No one gives a crap -- they're going to continue doing what they love and here's to that. Who cares about moves!

I remember the Kiss show you speak of -- I think it was a 4th of July thing on TV. Regardless of how old they looked you have to consider the bottom line: were they having fun? I thought they were at the time, and that's all that really matters. They don't have to look cool for anybody, they just have to have fun. Anything else is pure pretension.
"I would imagine that the inside of a bottle of cleaning fluid is fucking clean." -Hedberg
-----
Tulsa Drone
Dry County Records ? Richmond, Virginia
twitter: drycounty

J.B.Horns
pushin' record

Post by J.B.Horns » Thu Nov 04, 2004 6:20 am

DryCounty wrote:
J.B.Horns wrote:There's four old guy's kicking my ass for being such a dipshit! This is what it's all about. MUSIC ASSHOLE!!!! These guys can play their fucking instruments, and they've got the attention of 50 or so grown-ups who earlier in the day were likely checking their bank accounts to make sure their wives blown all their money at the Gap.
Just how old are we talking here? I saw Jehu back in ... Christ, must have been 92 or 93? ... and they couldn't have been much older than myself at the time. I'm 33 now. Does that make me an old guy? Should I check my moves?

I've seen Fugazi since their 2nd show and they continue to amaze me, regardless of whether they "rock out" like they used to. They're now in their 40s, but you know what? No one gives a crap -- they're going to continue doing what they love and here's to that. Who cares about moves!

I remember the Kiss show you speak of -- I think it was a 4th of July thing on TV. Regardless of how old they looked you have to consider the bottom line: were they having fun? I thought they were at the time, and that's all that really matters. They don't have to look cool for anybody, they just have to have fun. Anything else is pure pretension.
I don't know their ages, but "old" was an exaggeration. This was mostly a commentary on my own state-of-mind. How many people our age will pile into a van to go on tour, as opposed to 11 years ago? I think it's awesome that they are still doing this at their age. I'm not, and I envy them.

I've missed the Fugazi the last couple times they came through town. I'm sure they were great. The point of this story was, again a response to a revealation I had about myself. I'm not picking on anybody. I never went to Fugazi to watch them jump around.

Kiss probably was having fun, I'm just saying that at the time, I thought they looked silly trying to ride that whole make-up and fake blood thing to a comeback.
It's not that they couldn't remember thier moves. I say if you don't feel like jumping in the air, don't do it just because people are watching.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Thu Nov 04, 2004 8:11 am

Playing with "old guys" who are good is THE SHIT. I love being around people who've been doing what I do for much longer. It's always fun from a playing perspective and I learn TONS!!!!!!

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Coco
re-cappin' neve

Post by Coco » Thu Nov 04, 2004 8:39 am

I am 33 years old. I may be old to some but I can still rock with the 18 year olds and keep them coming back for more. I play drums with more ferocity than I did when I was 15. I love the Snakes and would give my left nut to see them live. the good thing about us old rockers is that we feel the music that we play and well.......not just play it. I saw Urge Overkill a while back and they did not warm up to the crowd the way the Snakes did in the aforementioned Utah show. They were drunk and bored but at least I got to see them. Where the hell is Regina Saskatchewan anyway? that is probably what they were thinking as they hit the stage. Calexico came to Regina and were completely blown away by the turn out. They have been back every year since because we are so hungry for good music here. Saskatchewan is in the middle of Canada, so nothing good comes here. My point is if a band like the Hot Snakes came here I would drag my 33 year old ass out in a heartbeat to see that show and not care if I worked the next morning. A lot of you guys are lucky to see that shit on a regular basis. It goes back to old saying, you gatta support your scene. My band is the band of old guys in our local Alt/Rock Indie scene, and we still make those teenagers jaws drop. Old guys can still rock if they want to. No wife + no kids = rock and roll for me.
I know enough to know that I don't know what I am doing.

Generals and Majors http://www.myspace.com/generalsandmajors

Derrick
re-cappin' neve

Post by Derrick » Thu Nov 04, 2004 11:51 am

I am 33 years old too. Not only can I still rock with the 18 year olds and keep them coming back for more, but I can rock better and harder then musicians of that age. :D J.B., you are way too jaded indeed. Enjoying some of the great hidden stuff that's going on now rather then critiquing and compairing everything to your past faves. Move on. Jaded people suck the life right out of a music scene. People are bombarded with a lot of crapp these days at shows so it can take a moment to relize they are being rocked ...with tallent. It sounds like you are expecting a San Diego type crowd, but you live in F'ing Utah. What do you expect? BTW, that bass player is Gar Wood from Tanner. Like John Ries, he's a great, nice, humble guy. Did you get the new Hot Snakes record at the show? If not... go out and buy it when you pick up the new Ashlie Simpson record for your baby. :D
Image Image

Derrick

We have a pool... and a pond. Pond's good for you though.

Lavahead
pushin' record

Post by Lavahead » Thu Nov 04, 2004 5:45 pm

I understand.

I'm really dissappointed that I missed out on the early 80's breakout of great "underground" rock music like Husker Du, Mission of Burma, Minutemen, Fugazi, etc. The bands had substance and they fucking meant it..they werent trying to look "cool", in fact, people thought they were out of their minds.

Everything is diluted now. Too many fucking hipster scenesters wearing cool glasses with cool haircuts. Whenever I go to shows I see too many people that look like they got lost on the way to Starbucks or the Gap.

Shit..I'm rambling and I'm pissed now..I don't even remember if this has anything to do with what you posted, but I felt like writing back when I read it.

It feels good to see people doing the right thing in rock though..check out a band called Vaz. It is 2 of the members from a band called Hammerhead that was on Amphetemine Reptile. They will blow you away..they are in their mid/late 30's..and there is no question as to if they mean it or not.
steely dan sucks, and so do mesh hats

slimjw
pluggin' in mics

Post by slimjw » Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:23 pm

This thread is retarded.

I just saw Hot Snakes in Seattle on Monday and they rocked the jam session raw. Best show I've seen in a while. I don't get the sense that any of those guys give a fuck about what age they are. Who cares if Ries weighs more than he did in '95? That guy has more rock in his little finger than most of us have in our whole body. He is the real deal and then some.

I am 35 and while I can attest to it being a different time than my 20's, This whole "old guy" thing is bullshit. My old band's 1st record came out the year I turned 30 and we toured our asses off in a shitty van, sleeping on floors and playing hard every night. It was hard and fun and horrible and rad and everything else. I wouldn't trade that for anything.

Fuck this age shit. Just keep making cool music.

J.B.Horns
pushin' record

Post by J.B.Horns » Fri Nov 05, 2004 7:43 am

It wasn't meant to be about their age, it was about the fact that they were so fucking amazing that I forgot about my obsession with microphones and shit. I just brought up the age thing because they started off slow and seemingly uninterested, and it reminded me of when I saw Kiss that one one time. I meant no disrespect to anyone. I wen't to the show with a big cold shell around myself, and they broke it. And from all accounts, they had a sheel too, and the crowd broke theirs. This all I meant by this thred. I was stoked top see a band who made me feel the same way I did when I was youngER. Before the mortgage and kids and car payments and the extra 10 pounds. I'm sorry for not conveying my point accurately. Most of the music I listen to today is by older artists. It wasn't about the age. I tried to tell a story I thought some might like, and I embellished a little so it might be funner to read by some, and funner to write by myself. I'm not a writer, so I guess I shouldn't try.

Hey what mic did they use in 1973 to record so and so's guitar with? There is that better.

Fuck off!

Coco
re-cappin' neve

Post by Coco » Fri Nov 05, 2004 7:53 am

slimjw wrote:This thread is retarded.

I just saw Hot Snakes in Seattle on Monday and they rocked the jam session raw. Best show I've seen in a while. I don't get the sense that any of those guys give a fuck about what age they are. Who cares if Ries weighs more than he did in '95? That guy has more rock in his little finger than most of us have in our whole body. He is the real deal and then some.

I am 35 and while I can attest to it being a different time than my 20's, This whole "old guy" thing is bullshit. My old band's 1st record came out the year I turned 30 and we toured our asses off in a shitty van, sleeping on floors and playing hard every night. It was hard and fun and horrible and rad and everything else. I wouldn't trade that for anything.

Fuck this age shit. Just keep making cool music.
Amen brother! And JB, I thought your story was cool. I did not think you were dissing anybody. Old guys or young guys, keep the good music coming.

gravy boat
takin' a dinner break

Post by gravy boat » Fri Nov 05, 2004 8:19 am

Put me in the old guy category, too. I'm 40, and I've been playing in underground rock bands for almost 20 years. In the 80's it was hardcore which morphed into a weird speedmetal/noise thing, then in the early 90's, I went back into straight ahead punk rock'nroll. Now I still play with my punk band Jesus Christ Superfly (new album out on Nov 16 produced by Spot!), but I also have an alt country/southern rock band Gravy Boat and a new blues punk project. The point is, age makes no difference to me. The 18 year olds who don't understand why the old guy is still up there won't be around the music scene in a few years anyway. To them it's just a social scene and when the fashions/trends change, they'll get a "real " job and won't go out anymore. Guys like the Hot Snakes are getting in a van because they want to, not for some outdated conception of being a rock star. As for the turnout, 50 people for a show like that is probably average. It was a weeknight ( I guess) and in SLC (no offence). Live music that is not flavor of the month or jamband doesn't draw like underground music did in the 80's or early 90's. The audience has changed and only the true fans are going out on a tueday night. I think I read somewhere that the last Sonic Youth record only sold around 12,000 copies. Kids don't buy cds, they share (steal) mp3s. They don't go out to see bands, they stay home and play video games and download. Times they are a changing. I also recently read a quote from Ian Mccaye (sp) where he was talking about the alterna explosion post-Nirvana. He said something to the effect, "when the dust settles, only the true rebels will remain."
I'm a drinking man with a guitar problem.

Derrick
re-cappin' neve

Post by Derrick » Fri Nov 05, 2004 9:40 am

whatever
Last edited by Derrick on Fri Nov 05, 2004 11:52 am, edited 4 times in total.
Image Image

Derrick

We have a pool... and a pond. Pond's good for you though.

Coco
re-cappin' neve

Post by Coco » Fri Nov 05, 2004 9:52 am

J.B.Horns wrote:It wasn't meant to be about their age, it was about the fact that they were so fucking amazing that I forgot about my obsession with microphones and shit. I just brought up the age thing because they started off slow and seemingly uninterested, and it reminded me of when I saw Kiss that one one time. I meant no disrespect to anyone. I wen't to the show with a big cold shell around myself, and they broke it. And from all accounts, they had a sheel too, and the crowd broke theirs.
This all I meant by this thred. I was stoked top see a band who made me feel the same way I did when I was youngER. Before the mortgage and kids and car payments and the extra 10 pounds. I'm sorry for not conveying my point
accurately. Most of the music I listen to today is by older artists. It wasn't about the age. I tried to tell a story I thought some might like, and I embellished a little so it might be funner to read by some, and funner to write by myself. I'm not a writer, so I guess I shouldn't try.

Hey what mic did they use in 1973 to record so and so's guitar with? There is that better.

Fuck off!

It is nice to get stoked on things like the younger days. I still get pumped when I see a great band live. It makes me want to play live more and create more music. This thread did go a little off topic but I did get your point. I did like your story quite a bit. There is "that guy" in the sweatpants in every city and at every show.

Coco

greatmagnet
buyin' a studio

Post by greatmagnet » Fri Nov 05, 2004 10:56 am

Piss off, Derrick. You're just too dopey and alarmist to pick up on written irony, sarcasm, and just-plain good storytelling skills. End of story. Go to your dorm room. No dinner. When you're old enough to have some perspective we'll let you stand on that soapbox and look down.

Dude, you never finished your story, though...what happened to the dude in the sweatpants? He never came back? I thought you were gonna say he ended up blowing you after the show or something. Total anticlimax.
"All energy flows in accordance with the whims of the great Magnet"
?Raoul Duke
www.greatmagnetrecording.com