SPDIF questions

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
FoundationSound
alignin' 24-trk

SPDIF questions

Post by FoundationSound » Thu Nov 04, 2004 1:39 pm

I've been using the SPDIF interface from my old sound blaster live for quite sometime now to mix down from my D8B. Any thoughts here? Are the AD converters any good on this thing? I've never really had any problems with it, just wondering if anyone can tell me if I should go out any buy a new interface or just keep using this one. It's just something that's been on my mind for a while now.

I have some monster cables for it (that I got for free the other day at GC) but are just using some hosa ones that I've had for a while. I don't think I'd notice any difference since it's a digital signal, but any thoughts?

kcrusher
tinnitus

Re: SPDIF questions

Post by kcrusher » Thu Nov 04, 2004 1:49 pm

There's no A/D conversion happening (unless you're referring to the A/D on your D8B), so that's not an issue.

Probably the biggest question is how good are the jitter and clock specs on that card. It should be fine using the SPDIF outs.

You definitely should be using a specific digital cable and NOT an audio cable. There's a big difference between them and using an audio cable can seriously degrade the sound quality.
America... just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable.
- Hunter S. Thompson

FoundationSound
alignin' 24-trk

Post by FoundationSound » Thu Nov 04, 2004 2:46 pm

Yes, I am an idiot. AD Converters. :oops:

As far as the cable goes, it's a really high quality rca cable. I should probably put the monster on then?

fillmoresound
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by fillmoresound » Fri Nov 05, 2004 10:54 am

as long as its at least a 75ohm RCA - i believe if you use a SPDIF cable, the chances of signal degredation are minimized. i'm still undecided, and my RCA was free, so it works for now. good luck!
"Soft and spongy. Like a twinkie. Like a twinkie."