My first pro recording gig!

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
operator_tape
suffering 'studio suck'

My first pro recording gig!

Post by operator_tape » Thu Nov 04, 2004 6:30 pm

Next week I am taking over another engineers job at a meduim size studio, he left for unknown reasons, and I am really nervous. Any pointers on what to expect?

dungeonsound615
suffering 'studio suck'

Re: My first pro recording gig!

Post by dungeonsound615 » Thu Nov 04, 2004 6:40 pm

Honestly ive always hoped this would happen to me also, but at the same time i would be very nervous also. I dont know if possible but if you have an assistant from the studio helping you, maybe talking with him or her before hand to get an idea of how the place works and everything might be a good idea. I know it may seem crazy im saying this but try and have everything setup ready to go before the band shows up, make sure all the mics are working and showing level that kinda thing. I know this may seem to be common sense, but ive always found its something small and stupid that can make a session seem scary at time.
have fun most importantly
Mike

Family Hoof
buyin' a studio

Post by Family Hoof » Thu Nov 04, 2004 7:11 pm

Make you sure you do a lot of talking with the studio owner and staff to try and understand their philosophies and how you can best carry out whatever it is they expect of you.

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Thu Nov 04, 2004 7:53 pm

Be very prepared to learn that you don't know what you think you know. Be very humble and be very prepared to learn the 'process of making records' and what your part in that puzzle is. My guess is that you're the new 'house assistant'. Do that for 2-3 years and take stock of yourself after that interval. Try and get some sleep and show up at least a half hour before the clients- ALWAYS! Most of all, have fun. This shit's a hoot.

bigtoe
deaf.

Post by bigtoe » Fri Nov 05, 2004 5:12 am

i'd get the skinny on whether the old clients liked him or what. do they know yer coming in? do you have your own base of people?

good luck. i remember getting something like that. it was a thrill. you'll do great.

Mike

kcrusher
tinnitus

Post by kcrusher » Fri Nov 05, 2004 8:33 am

Go into the studio and get familiar with where everything is, what kind of gear they have and make sure you know how to use as much of it as possible.

One other thing - NEVER ASSUME! If in doubt - ask. Really. Better to ask, even if they give you weird looks, than to spend time doing something wrong. Most of the time they will be more than happy to clear things up for you.
America... just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable.
- Hunter S. Thompson