Digidesign admitted second gen.G5 ProTools Freeze Up Problem

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
federal donut
gettin' sounds

Digidesign admitted second gen.G5 ProTools Freeze Up Problem

Post by federal donut » Thu Nov 04, 2004 8:07 pm

Sorry, I posted this in the #%&%#% computer section, too, but wanted to make sure that everybody saw this:

I got a dual 1.8 G5 and DIGI 002 rack about a month ago. After getting the run around, i finally got Digidesign to admit that they are having major problems with all second generation G5's locking up. kernel panic madness. Some sort of conflict with OS 10.3.4 and 10.3.5. It will lock up when playing and continue to play though i can't do anything to unlock it except hit the power button in front. It will also lock up when recording as little as one track with no plug-ins. All of this happens at very random intervals and can't be repeated by any specific means. They have a fix, but it didn't do anything. Now i am basically stuck with a non-stable system and have to wait for them to work out the bugs. this sucks big time. I've tested all my ram as well to make sure because it can look like a simliar problem i am told. It is Digidesign's #1 or #2 problem they are working on, or so they say. Unfortunately i am halfway through an album so i have to finish it in ProTools, otherwise i'd dump the stuff in a heartbeat. Beware anybody thinking about getting a similar set-up. One of the ProTools guys asked me not tell anybody! I was cool about it but now i am getting pissed. If they don't have it fixed when i am done with the project i am working on i am selling it and going DP. Damn. Too bad, i like PT when it works. Anybody else having this problem?

Current Resistance
gettin' sounds

Re: Digidesign admitted second gen.G5 ProTools Freeze Up Pro

Post by Current Resistance » Thu Nov 04, 2004 9:03 pm

I've had a similar problem, however the kernel meltdown never happens while running a session or anything, luckily. My problem is when I'm running audio from any other program through the pro tools hardware... i.e. listening to itunes through my mbox out my monitors.

I always attributed it to digidesign being finnicky with running itunes...but maybe it's related to the bug you have.

I'd like to get out of the digidesign dungeon as well....its funny pro tools is supposed to be the mac FRIENDLY one! But all I can think about these days is getting Nuendo or Logic Pro.

tactics
steve albini likes it

Post by tactics » Thu Nov 04, 2004 9:27 pm

Try sniffin' round www.osxaudio.com
cleantone wrote:
Microphone Case, Black, Plastic N/A $30.00
What is this case like? I've been thinking about getting one.

federal donut
gettin' sounds

Post by federal donut » Thu Nov 04, 2004 9:49 pm

Thanks for the link but no luck. Digidesign is really trying to keep this underwraps. I've talked to 5 guys and the guy i got today was the first one that admitted that it is becoming a pretty common problem. The first guy that admitted that it wasn't just my computer was basically begging me not to tell anybody. They should be scared. They have lots of competition that is really catching up.

spankenstein
re-cappin' neve

Post by spankenstein » Fri Nov 05, 2004 7:29 am

When I was recently upgrading I was going to get a 002R. On my way out the door I decided to make sure I went through the supported hardware list. I'm glad I did otherwise I would ahve been stuck with a system that wouldn't work on any PC I own! WTF is with all the restrictins on what it will run on? To top it off. It's a freaking firewire device!

wedge
tinnitus

Post by wedge » Fri Nov 05, 2004 7:47 am

spankenstein wrote:When I was recently upgrading I was going to get a 002R. On my way out the door I decided to make sure I went through the supported hardware list. I'm glad I did otherwise I would ahve been stuck with a system that wouldn't work on any PC I own! WTF is with all the restrictins on what it will run on? To top it off. It's a freaking firewire device!
This mimics my experience. I had a great experience with my Mbox, being astounded by it's plug & play flexibility and overall stability, and being able to use it one multiple computers & platforms if I so chose. I assumed (ass + u & me [d]) that the digi002, being a firewire device, would be even more stable, flexible and compatible. What I found, after it was clear that it wasn't going to work on my computer, is that it has a very narrow hardware footprint on which it will function properly: i.e., I would have had to buy a whole freaking new computer to get it to run. There's only 4 or 5 firewire cards, for instance, that it's compatible with. Add to that list chip sets (on PC's), hard drives, etc., etc. Too bad. I was fortunate in that I was able to return it and get my money back. Just snagged a digi001 off of ebay for a large savings. Stability and compatibility, here I come...

nestle
re-cappin' neve

Post by nestle » Fri Nov 05, 2004 7:55 am

very interresting thread-
I'm a Digi002R owner, I run it on a G4 1.5G PB. No problems at all knock on wood-
This thread has me concerned though-
Here at work we use the Accecl HD2 w a G5 2 gig deal and it's a little buggy. it works better with 6.4 but we can go there becuase of the AV option.

My home rig is a G4 tower with a PT24/2farms running 5.3.2- running on 9.2
rock solid,all the plugs you could ever want...I'd be a fool to fuck with it right folks? I'll milk it for all its worth. I'll keep the 002 for the OSX world.

federal donut
gettin' sounds

Post by federal donut » Fri Nov 05, 2004 11:41 am

I think the problem lies mainly in a conflict with the OS operating system's 10.3.4 and 10.3.5 so if you aren't running those you should be fine. They said that going back to 10.3.2 gets things working, but the second generation G5's won't work with anything but the newer versions. The irritating thing is that they have authorized these machines as compatible on their website, even though they it's not working right on a bunch of machines! sweet.

Red Rockets Glare
tinnitus

Post by Red Rockets Glare » Fri Nov 05, 2004 3:46 pm

I have an 002 Rack and G5 and the only troubles I can report are this:
after not touching the computer for a moment it spins the pretty color wheel for five seconds when I go back to it
and the 002 rack dosen't always start up correctly the first time. always the second time though.

obermorph
gettin' sounds

Post by obermorph » Fri Nov 05, 2004 4:25 pm

I am running a 002r and a dual 1.8 G5 flawlessly!
As an Apple employee as well (don't tell anyone) I suggest that you back up all yo shit, Format your drive, and reinstall X, and PT. If you decide that you want other apps, partition the drive, install X on both, PT on one and other shit on the other.

Currently I only have the following apps installed:
PT 6.4
Yamaha's Studio manager
Bundled apps, ableton, reason etc.
toast
Office.

Feel free to email me.
obermorph@yahoo.com
r

covert
pushin' record

Post by covert » Sat Nov 06, 2004 4:02 am

federal donut wrote: If they don't have it fixed when i am done with the project i am working on i am selling it and going DP. Damn. Too bad, i like PT when it works. Anybody else having this problem?
You might want to look at some of the problems with MOTU hardware as well.
"when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."

IronMaidenX
gettin' sounds

Post by IronMaidenX » Sun Nov 07, 2004 4:07 pm

I've been using the last version of the G4 Dual 1.25 with Superdrive & 002R for 6 months now without any crashes or freeze ups during all that time...also using OS X 10.3.2 & Pro Tools v. 6.4 - not sure if that helps anyone but it's worked for me.