The Multivox Amp

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

The Multivox Amp

Post by @?,*???&? » Thu Nov 04, 2004 8:08 pm

Any of you guys heard of Multivox amps? Just won this mid-60s amp on ebay. Looks like a Silvertone. Hoping it has a similar sound. Should be here sometime this week UPS. $68 for an amp with a 12" speaker. The last Gibson GA-8 I bought kicked my ass, so I'm hoping for more of the same...bidding on something else too. May be the steal of the century, but I won't gloat until it's shipped. We still have vocals and lead guitars to do and these amps should be stellar.

rob@SigmaDelta
gettin' sounds

Re: The Multivox Amp

Post by rob@SigmaDelta » Thu Nov 04, 2004 8:29 pm

I have 2 multivox amps, a keyboard and an echo unit that I got for my own endeavors.

They are all golden. They will never leave my posession as long as I can defend them. Especially the keyboard and the echo. both are crazy cool.
Lovingly signed,
Robert Randolph @
http://www.audio-labs.net

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Fri Nov 05, 2004 4:40 am

All I know about them is that they distributed Roland products in the seventies and make perfect copies of several, illegally I assume--and they made some good pedals too. I would be surprised if your amp isn't a pretty cool, obscure little bugger--I'm a tad jealous to be honest.

takeout
steve albini likes it

Post by takeout » Fri Nov 05, 2004 10:39 am

The Multivox tape echoes are the poor man's Space Echo, only better in some respects.

Coco
re-cappin' neve

Post by Coco » Fri Nov 05, 2004 1:29 pm

Old amps need to be recapped more often than not. That should be a cool piece of gear. Any competent tech could probably do it for a fair price. Put in some nice old nos tubes and you are set. I assume it is a tube amp? those pld obscure pieces of gear, guitars, amps ect. can be the jem of a recording. It is a sound not many people will have in their arsenal. Good score!
I know enough to know that I don't know what I am doing.

Generals and Majors http://www.myspace.com/generalsandmajors

trashy
dead but not forgotten

Post by trashy » Fri Nov 05, 2004 2:04 pm

takeout wrote:The Multivox tape echoes are the poor man's Space Echo, only better in some respects.
shut the hell up.

Rick Hunter
dead but not forgotten

Post by Rick Hunter » Fri Nov 05, 2004 2:07 pm

CHRISTMAS IS ALMOST HERE!

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Fri Nov 05, 2004 2:23 pm

I am using a multivox echo that a pal of mine owns. It is really cool. The reverb tank is cool in it as well I guess, this one isnt working, but the delay is swank.
Weird, I had never really heard of multivox before, and I borrow one, and now this thread. WEEEEIRD! (fake psychadelic synchronicity voice).

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Sat Nov 06, 2004 12:44 pm

Got the Multivox yesterday. Unboxed and cleaned it last night. 40 years of dirt and obvious cigarette smoke on the thing. Took it apart, it's missing a few screws and I may gromit the head inside the cab as a vibration deterrent. No model number on it, but it does say "Made in the USA". Found a link online with a photo and this seems to be either a Model #45 or Model #50. Has volume, tone and tremolo on it. Jack for Tremelo switch too, which means I'll have to make a footswitch for it. Tubes are a Multivox (no shit) 12AX7 as a preamp tube, a GE 6V6 as output tube and a Multivox (no shit again) 6AV6 as the tremolo tube. Doesn't make a sound right now, so in having it apart I checked the fuse, which appears to be intact, but strangely, it's soldered at either end in place. I may still try and replace that. And the fun begins!

Next task, in search of the Multivox schematic...