tele neck in a strat body

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
antilog
george martin

tele neck in a strat body

Post by antilog » Mon Nov 08, 2004 11:14 pm

will a tele neck fit in a 95 am start body?

any good resources for scalloped necks?
"Artists to my mind are the real architects of change, and not the political legislators who implement change after the fact." William S Burroughs

covert
pushin' record

Re: tele neck in a strat body

Post by covert » Tue Nov 09, 2004 6:13 am

antilog wrote:will a tele neck fit in a 95 am start body?

any good resources for scalloped necks?
This a quite common modification.

Try Warmouth for specialty necks.
"when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."

DoubleDownSound
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by DoubleDownSound » Tue Nov 09, 2004 7:44 am

yngwie malmsteen's garbage can is where I get all of my scalloped necks, unless you neant sea scallops....
Don't judge Texas by one person who claims to be a Texan...

UXB
steve albini likes it

Post by UXB » Tue Nov 09, 2004 8:21 am

They technically are the same fit, though it's not uncommon to have to do a little bit of filing or shimming on the neck joint for a proper fit. If it's too tight, try to keep the top part of the joint (towards thu upper cutaway) true and straight, that it will act as a guide for the neck's alignment, conversely, use some maple shim stock if it needs to be tighter...

Happy Luthiering (is that even a verb?!)

-H

Jaws of Hell
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Jaws of Hell » Tue Nov 09, 2004 8:58 am

From what I understand it's much easier to put a Strat neck in a tele body....I haven't seen many guitars the other way around.

Rodgre
carpal tunnel

Post by Rodgre » Tue Nov 09, 2004 9:01 am

Be aware that a lot of strats have rounded neck heels and teles will often have squared heels.

I've seen a guy put a strat neck on a tele and not realize that the guitar will be impossible to intonate because there is an extra 3/8ths of an inch in the neck pocket.

Roger

DoubleDownSound
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by DoubleDownSound » Tue Nov 09, 2004 2:14 pm

guitar can't really ever be intonated by it's nature, so don't fret about that too much...
Don't judge Texas by one person who claims to be a Texan...

UXB
steve albini likes it

Post by UXB » Tue Nov 09, 2004 3:52 pm

Re. intonation-just measure on the high "e" side of things, and make sure that the distance from the 12th fret to the saddle is 12 1/2" with the saddle extended fully. This should give you anough play for various string gauges-double check my math as it's been a while...scale length==25 1/2" divide by 2 and allow 1/4" deviation...

-H

black mariah
buyin' gear

Post by black mariah » Tue Nov 09, 2004 6:07 pm

DoubleDownSound wrote:guitar can't really ever be intonated by it's nature, so don't fret about that too much...
It can be intonated. Intonation on a guitar is just the process of compensating for inerent flaws. It can be intonated, but not in tune.

Which makes me wonder why nobody has come up with a formula for fret placement based on scale length AND string tension. I would, but math like that makes my brain refuse.
Heurh!

antilog
george martin

Post by antilog » Tue Nov 09, 2004 6:33 pm

black mariah wrote:
DoubleDownSound wrote:guitar can't really ever be intonated by it's nature, so don't fret about that too much...
It can be intonated. Intonation on a guitar is just the process of compensating for inerent flaws. It can be intonated, but not in tune.

Which makes me wonder why nobody has come up with a formula for fret placement based on scale length AND string tension. I would, but math like that makes my brain refuse.
fretwave - supposed to take care of this, wonder if it does. i do know when i tune, it gets to be an averaging game, especially down around the G+B string, to get a G chord AND D chord to be in tune.
"Artists to my mind are the real architects of change, and not the political legislators who implement change after the fact." William S Burroughs

antilog
george martin

Post by antilog » Tue Nov 09, 2004 6:34 pm

warmoth wants well over $200 for a scalloped neck.

i scalloped the neck of my ibanez radster with a dremel tool, man was that fun to play. that was my frankenguitar, I would think about doing that to the neck of my Strat....