"ready-made" feedback guitar?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Re: "ready-made" feedback guitar?

Post by kayagum » Mon Jul 28, 2003 1:42 pm

... or a Smokey amp as an effect. Hold the speaker over the pickup, patch it through.

wenzel.hellgren
buyin' gear

Post by wenzel.hellgren » Mon Jul 28, 2003 2:04 pm

an ebow is a great idea.

I also like screaming into my hollowbody when it is feeding back.

Build your own Hurdy Gurdy for $20 : http://www.ehhs.cmich.edu/~dhavlena/hurdy.htm

black mariah
buyin' gear

Post by black mariah » Mon Jul 28, 2003 5:54 pm

Sustainiac makes a MUCH better system than the Fernandes unit, at about the same price. I used to work with these things all the time. Fun as hell, annoying as fuck. :D
Heurh!

kaliyuga
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by kaliyuga » Mon Jul 28, 2003 9:50 pm

I've thought about getting an e-bow, though I've heard they're difficult to use. However, this coming from the only person I've ever discussed an e-bow with, so . . .

Anybody heard the "sitar swami" pedal by Danelectro? How about a device called "fat fingers" that supposedly increases sustain?

Jason
"Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so."

wenzel.hellgren
buyin' gear

Post by wenzel.hellgren » Tue Jul 29, 2003 8:22 am

Oh yeah, a sustain pedal is another great idea. It can really help when trying to feedback at low volumes.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Thu Jul 31, 2003 3:13 pm

If you're really into modding your guitar, I'd say remove one of the pickups and stick a smokey amp in the cavity, then split the signal from the other pickup to drive both the guitar's output jack and the amp. Turn the smokey on and presto. (Sorry if this is a repeat suggestion.)

Also, you might want to bolt something really heavy, like a big block of wood, to the headstock--adding mass up there can increase sustain.

Ebows are great but only give you one string at a time.

You might also want to try the Reeves Gabrels vibrator trick. A vibrator, or in fact, and hand-held object with a motor, placed in close proximity to a guitar pickup gives an amplified whine that's pretty cool. With a variable-speed vibrator you can adjust the pitch. I've also used hand-held toy rayguns, motorized PEZ dispensers and M&M dispensers (these can be had at 7-Eleven for about two bucks) and the Big Mouth Voice Changer (available at most toy stores for $5--holler through it into the pickup).

The BOSS feedbacker/sustainer was a fun pedal. Dunno if they still make 'em. We had one in the late '80s. They haven't gotten that retro cool rep that the Ibanez Tube Screamer got, so they're probably pretty cheap used.

wenzel.hellgren
buyin' gear

Post by wenzel.hellgren » Thu Jul 31, 2003 3:41 pm

Do they still make Stompers? (the moterized cars/trucks) Years ago I mounted a stomper to the top of the guitar so the wheels were rubbing on the strings. turn on the stomper and drone baby drone. They had different tires (or non) you could use on the wheels, etc. it was great. I think the stomper ended up in the microwave though. That single wheel thingy to make it drive in a circle was just too much...

You can also just put the stomper, or most any electric moter near the pickups for weird noise.

gone
alignin' 24-trk

Post by gone » Thu Jul 31, 2003 4:03 pm

Last edited by gone on Wed Nov 19, 2003 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

signorMars
re-cappin' neve

Post by signorMars » Thu Jul 31, 2003 9:16 pm

if you're just for weird noises, not feedback.... put a remote control right at the pickup and press the buttons... the universal remotes work the best because the vcr commands will make different sounds from the tv commands.

--ross ingram

kaliyuga
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by kaliyuga » Thu Jul 31, 2003 10:03 pm

signorMars wrote:if you're just for weird noises, not feedback.... put a remote control right at the pickup and press the buttons... the universal remotes work the best because the vcr commands will make different sounds from the tv commands.

--ross ingram
You know, I did this once, years ago and really liked the way it sounded - completely forgot about that until now - thanks.

Wow, there are so many great suggestions here folks - much appreciated. I'm going to check out a Smokey, and definitely gather some motorized toys.

Tonight I acquired a Boss DD-6 digital delay pedal . . . I think I'm in love.

Jason
"Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so."