Good Delay for Live Vocals

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
jp76
gimme a little kick & snare

Good Delay for Live Vocals

Post by jp76 » Thu Nov 11, 2004 3:55 pm

I'm looking for a decent delay unit to use for live vocal performance. Any recommendations?

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Re: Good Delay for Live Vocals

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Thu Nov 11, 2004 4:05 pm

TC electronics Dtwo is the shit for a live delay, as a FOH engineer. tap tempo, sounds good. usefull shit. if you mean to apply delay yourself while singing, i would guess that the Line6 DL4 pedal would be good if youi used a preamp before it.

john
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Thu Nov 11, 2004 4:11 pm

I'll second the D-Two as possibly the coolest stereo delay on the planet.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

kcrusher
tinnitus

Post by kcrusher » Thu Nov 11, 2004 4:29 pm

I like the Lexicon MPX-550 - which I think sounds better than the D-Two. Smoother, more analogy sounding delays.
America... just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable.
- Hunter S. Thompson

Paul Fury 161
gettin' sounds

Post by Paul Fury 161 » Thu Nov 11, 2004 5:30 pm

Hiya.
There are loads more delays with tap tempo, any of which are absolutely fine for live FOH vocals-i don't care about the analog-ness or whatever, i'm not mixing for posterity, it has to work and translate now.SO;

Lexicon Vortex - great, use mine live AND studio all the time dirt cheap also ;-p unique method for the tap tempo, you set the rhythmic subdivision (can be set different for left and right sides for 3 against 4, 7 against 5 etc etc) then tap once for beat one and again for beat oneof the next bar - does the math no problem, more even tempo mapping due to the longer interval of calculation IMO. Also, the presets are in pairs i.e. 4a and 4b. You can morph with one touch to the B preset , where every single parameter can be different, and set a morph time e.g. 10 secs. Ace.The b-a morph time can be different to the a-b one as well. Bless Lexicon !

Yamaha SPX-990 it's got a tap tempo everything else good verb also no problemo!

Digitech studio Quad V2- cheap, nasty, but can be a stereo verb and stereo delay with tap tempo totally can get the job done.The tap isn't easy to find but it IS there read the manual.

Howzat?

;-p

Take it easy,

Paul Fury 161
"These mixes are really great. I only want to re-record all the guitars and vocals - can I have the masters please?"

www.myspace.com/extinguishher

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Thu Nov 11, 2004 8:59 pm

Regarding the tap tempo, I can never get the Lexicon's taps to chase accurately. I don't know what the deal is with them, but everybody else's work just fine and the Lexicons never end up the tempo I'm tapping. From the PCM 90s right on down to the little cheap ones. Anyone else notice this?

The D-Two is super cool because not only can you tap tempo (accurately), but you can also tap rhythms. I don't know of any other delay that does that. It traces multi-taps with different delay times, so your delays can shuffle or follow a rhythmic pattern or whatever, just by tapping it in. Works great.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Max
takin' a dinner break

Post by Max » Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:14 am

I have a TC D2 and I'm really happy with it. It does everything that I can imagine a delay to do.
I've never compared it side by side with a Lexicon or an Ensonique delay. So I can't comment on that.
A friend just returned from a two weeks tour doing sound for a band and the first thing he told me when I asked him about it was:" I want a TC 2290. I now it's just 16bit but I want one. I've used one in Vienna and it sounded amazing." He is quite familiar with the D2 but says that the 2290 sounds better.
I can imagine that a used 2290 is affordable.
Best, Max.

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:24 am

2290's ARE the shit, but they're still quite expensive. they sound amazing.

john
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

Verboten

Post by Verboten » Fri Nov 12, 2004 11:52 am

I'd vote for the D-2... but, also consider the TC M300. It's cheaper and sounds pretty damn good. You can tap in tempos and can get some really effective analog delay sounds. If the smoke and wear and tear get to it - it's only $200.

psychicoctopus
buyin' a studio

Post by psychicoctopus » Fri Nov 12, 2004 6:43 pm

I like the Digitech RDS 7.6 Time Machine. Gibby Haynes rips shit up with it.
Armed with seven rounds of space doo-doo pistols

AnalogElectric
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by AnalogElectric » Fri Nov 12, 2004 10:53 pm

I'mthe first to mention DeltaLab Effectron???? (any series, really...truly)

The MOTHER of live engineer rack effects.

--Adam Lazlo
AnalogElectric Recording
Gilbert, Arizona USA
http://www.analogelectric.com
http://www.myspace.com/adamlazlo

thunderboy
buyin' a studio

Post by thunderboy » Fri Nov 12, 2004 11:22 pm

Dammit! AnalogElectric beat me to it!
I miss my Effectron so much, I still label my delay returns with a Greek delta.

jt
"most toreadors worth a damn are circumcized."
- Discs of Tron

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Fri Nov 12, 2004 11:32 pm

AnalogElectric wrote:I'mthe first to mention DeltaLab Effectron???? (any series, really...truly)

The MOTHER of live engineer rack effects.
I agree. That's why I mentioned that the D-Twp was the coolest STEREO delay. Long live our Effectrons!!!!! I'm up to three now. Whoo-hooo!!!

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

telepathy
pushin' record

Post by telepathy » Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:54 pm

get to know your Effectron(s) well enough and you don't need no tap tempo!
get up with it

marcusb

Post by marcusb » Sat Nov 13, 2004 5:54 pm

I'm so glad someone brought up the effectron! My effectron II (adm1024) is still a staple in my personal rack I take to shows when i'm doing FOH. My first introduction to it was from Jonathon Kreniek who was doing FOH for Trans Am in australia many years ago. I was doing supports and got to get my grubby hands on his .. the next day I picked one up dirt cheap on ebay and have used it ever since. As telepathy said, you don't need to tap tempo I can hear a song and pretty much guess where the ratio knob has to be :) The knobular ness of this box is so damn cool.

It also works great as a vocal distortion, and doing feedback effects by feeding back the send into itself .. having the limiter built in on the front end is awesome.

I also really love the D2, one of the best boxes TC has released in years. Most big FOH racks I see these days at large shows no long carry 2190's but a couple of D2's in the same rackspace for about 1/3rd the cost :)

Back to the effectron for a minute, have any of you done any repairs on one. Just recently mine seems to be really really noisy on the longer times (256 + 1024) in particular. I don't know that much about electronics but a buddy reckons it could be a bad IC or something. Be nice to tidy it up.

To continue my ramble ... a friend of mine works in an old vintage guitar shop and found for me a morley foot controller for the effectrons. It's a big powered thing that you connect to the CV inputs on the back so you can control the delay ratio and hold and bypass from the footpedal! I used to have my effectron in my bass rack and would essentially get a drone or loop going in the effecton then wind the delay mix back a bit and play over it. Lotsa fun!

Sorry for the ramble :) I love delay... lay... ay... y..

cheers,
marcus