Going to be tracking a noise guy

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
vvv
zen recordist

Re: Going to be tracking a noise guy

Post by vvv » Tue Nov 16, 2004 2:46 pm

[quote="object88
I've heard about "underpowering" being a danger to a speaker, but honestly, I don't understand it. Can you explain why it's dangerous?
quote]

A simple explantion is that when the amp is straining to send the signal, there is a huge increase in distortion. Keep in mind that a 100 watt amp is not sending 100 watts at all times; its output varies with the material and the volume output control setting, which output is not a maximum setting for the entire time signal is passing through. Therefore, as a quick and cheap analogy, if you set output at 75% power at a point in the song where only 50% of the total signal level is then playing, when it requires full level (or 100%) based upon the signal, the amp will be called on to deliver 125% which is where you get distortion. (It might be easier to substitute "watts" for "%" in the preceding, not for accuracy, but to understand the concept.)

Overpowering under-rated speakers typically damages them after they overheat from sustained high signal levels, assuming that you don't send ridiculous transients (ex., unplugging or plugging something in while power is going through, which is pretty much always dangerous, anyway.)
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

object88
takin' a dinner break

Post by object88 » Tue Nov 16, 2004 2:51 pm

vvv wrote:Overpowering under-rated speakers typically damages them after they overheat from sustained high signal levels, assuming that you don't send ridiculous transients (ex., unplugging or plugging something in while power is going through.)
Yea, I get that part no problem, but that's the opposite of what I was referring to. :) What I'm saying is that I've heard it said that it's a bad idea to use a, say, 100W rated speaker with a 10W amp.

operator_tape
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by operator_tape » Tue Nov 16, 2004 3:24 pm

Thanks for all the info gentlemen, really helpful. I will make sure he brings his own shit and blow his own stuff up. If I don't have a limiter what else can I do to make sure I don't go over the A/D. Does anyone have any expirence tracking with a radioshack mic, like a cheap $2.00. Here in Montreal I can pick up a Chateau dynamic for about $2.00 does anyone think I should track with that?

theposterkid
gettin' sounds

Post by theposterkid » Tue Nov 16, 2004 4:19 pm

operator_tape wrote:Thanks for all the info gentlemen, really helpful. I will make sure he brings his own shit and blow his own stuff up. If I don't have a limiter what else can I do to make sure I don't go over the A/D. Does anyone have any expirence tracking with a radioshack mic, like a cheap $2.00. Here in Montreal I can pick up a Chateau dynamic for about $2.00 does anyone think I should track with that?
I've recorded some noise stuff for some guys in Austin, and done live sound for them.

What's the big problem? Have him make the loudest sounds he is going to make, and set your input gain accordingly.

Also, what does the mic have to do with going over digital zero? Or were you not implying that?

Vartan K.
pushin' record

Post by Vartan K. » Tue Nov 16, 2004 5:40 pm

i record alot of noise guys.
if your recording digital dont clip. even people into noise dont like that sound.

8)

operator_tape
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by operator_tape » Tue Nov 16, 2004 9:06 pm

andrewh wrote:
operator_tape wrote:Thanks for all the info gentlemen, really helpful. I will make sure he brings his own shit and blow his own stuff up. If I don't have a limiter what else can I do to make sure I don't go over the A/D. Does anyone have any expirence tracking with a radioshack mic, like a cheap $2.00. Here in Montreal I can pick up a Chateau dynamic for about $2.00 does anyone think I should track with that?
I've recorded some noise stuff for some guys in Austin, and done live sound for them.

What's the big problem? Have him make the loudest sounds he is going to make, and set your input gain accordingly.

Also, what does the mic have to do with going over digital zero? Or were you not implying that?
Sorry what I meant is that I guess that I am a chicken when it comes to this stuff and I want to make sure I don't overload anything. I was just wondering if anyone used that mic to record any noise. I was just trying to get some assurance that none of my mics would screw up during the session. I guess I just have to stop being so worried about the equipment and be more concerned about the sounds that I will be tracking.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Wed Nov 17, 2004 6:09 am

Vartan K. wrote:i record alot of noise guys.
if your recording digital dont clip. even people into noise dont like that sound.

8)
PIP..LOL :rofl:

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Wed Nov 17, 2004 6:17 am

operator_tape wrote:
andrewh wrote:

Sorry what I meant is that I guess that I am a chicken when it comes to this stuff and I want to make sure I don't overload anything. I was just wondering if anyone used that mic to record any noise. I was just trying to get some assurance that none of my mics would screw up during the session. I guess I just have to stop being so worried about the equipment and be more concerned about the sounds that I will be tracking.
another thing is that the loudness on a record can be illusory..it can be done with without having a blazing amp or blazing monitors happening..i only make amps loud if there is a specific characteristic that only happens at that kind of volume..

logancircle
tinnitus

Post by logancircle » Wed Nov 17, 2004 9:43 am

Is this all coming from programmed/prerecorded tracks on computer or live samples or concertinas and cymbals through effects or what? SOmething I've noticed recording my CAN-inspired noise-band's rehearsals with 2 boundary mics is that, even though there are some samples and synthetic sounds, room reverb is good to add. Especially if you can use different rooms to evoke different moods. You can cut the room track(s) in the middle of a piece for effect or cut the direct stuff and just leave the room. I go for the Fiona Apple's drum reverbs (first album) and Tricky's Maxinquaye reverbs.

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Wed Nov 17, 2004 12:09 pm

I kind of like a modulated square wave digital clip/over from time to time. Say, a clip at the head of the delay signal and the consequent rerun of that clip.

radiantbrian
takin' a dinner break

Post by radiantbrian » Wed Nov 17, 2004 1:12 pm

Vartan K. wrote:i record alot of noise guys.
the one and only merzbow cd i have clips the entire time. it's goddamn painful, but i guess that's the point, heh

operator_tape
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by operator_tape » Wed Nov 17, 2004 7:36 pm

I heard from a friend that this guy that calls himself mammal got his material refused printing at three different vinyl pressing plants, they supposidly told him that his material peaks to much and they would not risk breaking any of there equipment over that. Could this be true?

A.L.
buyin' a studio

Post by A.L. » Wed Nov 17, 2004 11:25 pm

operator_tape wrote:I heard from a friend that this guy that calls himself mammal got his material refused printing at three different vinyl pressing plants, they supposidly told him that his material peaks to much and they would not risk breaking any of there equipment over that. Could this be true?
Well it would depend on the master, wouldn't it?

If he was getting the pressing plants to master it, too, then yeah they're full of shit. The number of noise LPs that have kicked around since the late 70's should attest to that. These days everyone knows you get your noise vinyl mastered at aardvark.