can anyone talk to me about the yamaha md8?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
bellulah
gettin' sounds

can anyone talk to me about the yamaha md8?

Post by bellulah » Tue Nov 16, 2004 3:34 am

that's basically it - a search around her basically told me that some people have used it, and that it was used on such and such records...

here's my deal - i'm currently rocking the ADAT, and i want to get somethign different. ADAT's are like the worst of analog and digital all in one special package. i want something different, and here is what i need:

-hopefully an all-in-one box package.
-records 8-tracks simultaneously
-track bouncing
-at least 3-band eq
-1/4" inputs

as i can see this here md8 has all that. are the minidiscs still easy to come by? does it have a 1/4" headphone jack? is it easy to tell what's going on and how to use it?

and since the can o' worms is open, is there a better option? i'm gonna be in the less than $400 range, most likely used. the threads i searched earlier mentioned rolands - what models? are they good? do they have the features i need?

finally, i know i could search the internet, as i have already done, but i am really after some personal "yeah, here's what sucks that they don't tell you..." kinda stuff, and conversely, the "what's really been useful to me about the _____ is..." be it the md8 or something anyone else thinks would suit me better.

thanks so much!!
josh

hapbeat
audio school graduate

Re: can anyone talk to me about the yamaha md8?

Post by hapbeat » Sat Nov 20, 2004 5:18 am

the md8 is thin sounding compared to ADAT(you'll have to work at warmth), but you do have fab track bouncing,easy operation, and the best on the fly punch in I've ever used, bar none. The eq is nominal. Fixed hi and lo, with sweepable mids. Nothing special,but workable, and you don't need an external board. Headphone jack is 1/4, as are ins(I think there is xlr too ).Two 1/4 send/returns. Yamaha minidsc recorders are the best. Just check before buying used that the seller hasn't had error messages - esp error 08 (which means a new drive, and expensive). If you can find one under 400 in good condition, nice. The rolands don't generally record 8 tracks at once, and are a pain to use.

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Sat Nov 20, 2004 7:09 am

You may want to consider the new Tascam DP01 (looks like it replaced the Tascam 788). I think the street price is within your range, especially the one without effects (which may be better since the effects in these units are usually criticized).

For that matter, now that the 788 is discontinued, you should be able to find those for cheap on EBay. I'm seeing some for $300. I think they have 4 track simultaneous.

If you want simultaneous 8 track recording, ADATs are still the cheapest digital way to go. You could get an analog option (e.g. 8 track 1/2" or a 8 track cassette) and fly it into a DAW program.

MichaelAlan
tinnitus

Post by MichaelAlan » Sat Nov 20, 2004 8:06 am

Awww....the MD8...my first recorder. I hear mini disk uses bad data compression. It is a "mini disk" after all. How else are you gonna fit an hour of 8 track audio on such a small disk?

It's been a while, but as I recall it was really easy to use. like I said it was my first, and I figured it out.

Oh ya, when I bought the MD8 is cost....ahem...$1100!!

Mike

lonesome_tone
takin' a dinner break

Post by lonesome_tone » Sat Nov 20, 2004 9:55 am

The main bitch with these machines is that they use MD-Data discs, not the audio ones you can still find readily at places like best buy. You can still get them online here and there but you're talking like $15 a piece when they turn up.

They dont sound bad for what they are. Digital without menus!

The 788 is a far better machine if you don't need removeable media and can deal with a steeper learning curve. The Boss BR-8 is a nice machine if you want something in between- it uses Zip disks which are far far cheaper and easier to get than MD Datas.

As for the MD8, I believe John Frusciante did an album on one. It doesn't sound half bad.

lonesome_tone
takin' a dinner break

Post by lonesome_tone » Sat Nov 20, 2004 3:04 pm

i just noticed the thing about 8 tracks simultaneous- that would knock out the BR-8 for sure, and probably the 788, IIRC?

Maybe you should look into the Tascam DA machines- they sound better an are more robust than ADATs any day of the week. The 78HR is looking pretty amazing for recent second hand prices.

Coco
re-cappin' neve

Post by Coco » Mon Nov 22, 2004 8:05 am

We used them to record our rehearsals and new material that the band was working on. That is it. those mini discs are a pain in the ass.
I know enough to know that I don't know what I am doing.

Generals and Majors http://www.myspace.com/generalsandmajors

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Mon Nov 22, 2004 8:21 am

Stay away from mini-disk at all costs. It's a very lossy format and personally I think it sucks. I've tracked some nice things to MD that sounded beautiful going in and really crappy on the playback.

HD or R2R.

Coco
re-cappin' neve

Post by Coco » Mon Nov 22, 2004 2:00 pm

Like I said, the only thing we use it for is as a glorified tape 8-track to record our jams at our jamspace. I think they sound terrible. I never had the heart to tell our guitar player how crappy it sounded because he spent about $1500 CDN on it when they first came out. Plus there are only 2 phantom powered inputs.
I know enough to know that I don't know what I am doing.

Generals and Majors http://www.myspace.com/generalsandmajors