Guitar repair in NYC

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Flight Feathers
re-cappin' neve

Re: Guitar repair in NYC

Post by Flight Feathers » Tue Nov 16, 2004 8:19 pm

are you the original owner? if so, the repair is covered under the martin lifetime warranty.

the 2 guys i recommend are Doucet Guitar Works, Brooklyn, NY, 11217, 718-643-4435 (authorized martin service center) and Bob Jones. these are guys that know their way around a guitar. but they are in brooklyn, which is almost as far as hoboken...you lazy bum.
5D Studios <-- my OLD studio
Flight Feathers <-- my band

Steve
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Steve » Wed Nov 17, 2004 9:26 am

anyone know how hard it is to fix this stuff myself?

llmonty
re-cappin' neve

Post by llmonty » Wed Nov 17, 2004 11:18 am

space_ryerson wrote:30th street vintage does good repairs too.

Do not take your guitar to The Guitar Emporium (like 50th st., and 9th ave or something) for repairs. I had a les paul with a broken headstock, and it took 14 months to get it back with a shitty paintjob.
Do you mean the ny guitar & bass boutique - jimmy coppolo? i had them install a pickup and it was pricey and not a fantastic job.
richmond is a really cool town - supafuzz

space_ryerson
steve albini likes it

Post by space_ryerson » Wed Nov 17, 2004 2:09 pm

llmonty wrote:
space_ryerson wrote:30th street vintage does good repairs too.

Do not take your guitar to The Guitar Emporium (like 50th st., and 9th ave or something) for repairs. I had a les paul with a broken headstock, and it took 14 months to get it back with a shitty paintjob.
Do you mean the ny guitar & bass boutique - jimmy coppolo? i had them install a pickup and it was pricey and not a fantastic job.
yep, that's the guy. I think it was 'coppola'. I had to keep dropping by the store to check on his progress to get my guitar back. Mind you, this is a early 70's lefty les paul custom; not easy to get a replacement for. 14 months it took him.
For what it's worth, he did a great job structurally on the headstock fix, but the finish was awful on the back of the neck. He never removed the original finish anywhere but where the break was. Also, the color did not match the original finish of the guitar at all. He seems like a meticulous stoner, who at the last minute realizes he needs the cash, and rushes through the rest of the job. I'm half tempted to remove the finish there, and just have bare wood on the back of the neck. Either that, or have it re-re-finished by someone else. I know a guy upstate who does great repairs, and I'll probably take it to him if that happens.

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Wed Nov 17, 2004 2:14 pm

david gage, who is an awesome acoustic bass/cello luthier has started repairing guitars and basses, too... he works on my upright, and his work is pretty amazing. i haven't seen anything he's done on a guitar, but judging from what he's able to do with basses/cellos i'm sure he'd do a great job.
www.davidgage.com

john
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

mrufino1
pushin' record

Post by mrufino1 » Wed Nov 17, 2004 9:10 pm

Guitar Bar is great, Hoboken Vintage is right next door, 2 blocks from PATH, on 1st and garden. Also, the guy I go to is good too, www.frettech.com, although not in NYC, but not too far either. Don't try to do it yourself though- when those repairs are done right, the neck will be stronger than when you first had it, but done wrong and it will be really hard to ever make right. The right way to fix that is to line up all the pieces exactly and use dowels inside as well (as far as I know). My upright bass was repaired this way when I sheared off the headstock in a doorway, no problems with that since then (and I watch myself in doorways!).

jrsgodfrey
re-cappin' neve

Post by jrsgodfrey » Wed Nov 17, 2004 9:22 pm

Also, don't wait too long. That wood is never supposed to be exposed and humidity/lack of humidity can make a tight repair harder. Actually, try not to handle it much at all --leave all the little splinters in place -- it's like a puzzle piece.

Good luck.

Jay

toog
pluggin' in mics

Post by toog » Thu Nov 18, 2004 7:21 am

Maindrag horror story: A friend of mine tried to sell his nice, late 60's Fender through them on consignment. The owner agreed but first he'd have to give it an action-set, tweak it for selling, etc. A little over a year later he finally put it on the shelf to sell. I love that store, but I'd never go in for repairs. Don't hate me, just passing on information.