Ripped off on EBAY: Is there something to do??

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
burn
pushin' record

Ripped off on EBAY: Is there something to do??

Post by burn » Tue Nov 16, 2004 1:04 pm

ok, i bought a pair of oktava mc012 almost a month ago, never received the package, the guy emailed me and said he'll send me another pair. I'm still waiting to receive them but i start to think that maybe i got ripped off (hope not...), if that's the case, is there something i could do?? please give me your precious advices!

Al_Huero
suffering 'studio suck'

Re: Ripped off on EBAY: Is there something to do??

Post by Al_Huero » Tue Nov 16, 2004 1:08 pm

If you paid through Paypal, you may be able to file a complaint through them. I think you can also file a complaint through Ebay. Good luck.

Fieryjack
steve albini likes it

Post by Fieryjack » Tue Nov 16, 2004 1:45 pm

I was ripped off by someone named Maged Taha. I "bought" a Ramsa DA7 digital mixer meter. Sent him $250 or so and it never came. He remained in touch with me for a few months...I complained to everyone...the Dearborn Police (where he lives), eBay, and others.

Nobody cared...not even the cops. My advice: just learn from your bad experience and move on. Check feedback carefullly. If using PayPal, only do business with verified accounts and people whose ADDRESS AND PHONE number you can verify prior to the transaction taking place.

All in all, over about 50 transactions, I've been screwed over once. Not bad, but not ideal. I still believe most people are good.....

Stephen
steve albini likes it

Post by Stephen » Tue Nov 16, 2004 1:57 pm

Technically if it is over state lines it is a Federal ofense. Also if anything transpired through though the mail it is mail fraud. Contact The FBI.
Pax, Steve
Necessity is a mother....
http://instantdogma.net

robotboy75
pluggin' in mics

Post by robotboy75 » Tue Nov 16, 2004 9:29 pm

This story about an ebay scam artist is worth reading. I think you have to download the pdf in order to read it though.

http://www.p-p-p-powerbook.com/

Kilroy
buyin' gear

Post by Kilroy » Tue Nov 16, 2004 10:15 pm

lol, the p-p-p powerbook thing was great, i remember that from a little bit ago.

-chris

space_ryerson
steve albini likes it

Post by space_ryerson » Wed Nov 17, 2004 12:21 am

I am actually going through a problem with ebay right now that involves the same recourse. Toothpastefordinner has helped me a lot, and gave me directions in another thread; but to summarize:

If you paid on paypal via credit card, go straight to your credit card company, and tell them that you were defrauded on ebay. Explain to them exactly what happened, and they will help. My case with my credit card is still pending, but it does look like I will be getting a full refund. Most credit cards will let you file a complaint like this for 60 days after the purchase.

If you didn't pay via credit card, go to Paypal NOW. Paypal will only take complaints for 30 days after the original purchase. I have had a refund successfully performed through paypal a while back, so it can be done, but I would try the credit card route first, since they have more leverage over ebay and paypal than you would.

maz
buyin' a studio

Post by maz » Wed Nov 17, 2004 5:13 am

space_ryerson wrote:I am actually going through a problem with ebay right now that involves the same recourse. Toothpastefordinner has helped me a lot, and gave me directions in another thread; but to summarize:

If you paid on paypal via credit card, go straight to your credit card company, and tell them that you were defrauded on ebay. Explain to them exactly what happened, and they will help. My case with my credit card is still pending, but it does look like I will be getting a full refund. Most credit cards will let you file a complaint like this for 60 days after the purchase.

If you didn't pay via credit card, go to Paypal NOW. Paypal will only take complaints for 30 days after the original purchase. I have had a refund successfully performed through paypal a while back, so it can be done, but I would try the credit card route first, since they have more leverage over ebay and paypal than you would.
yes- the PayPal thing would be key- AFAIK, they will give a refund in a second unless the seller can produce some sort of tracking number that proves he shipped the item. If he can though, they'll send you off crying.

junkstar
re-cappin' neve

Post by junkstar » Wed Nov 17, 2004 5:50 am

I got ripped off for like $12 one time. What I learned? After 30 days, eBay is not able to help you. You need to deal with the company that handled the transaction.

Basically, if the seller strings you along for a few weeks, you may be getting scammed. You need to be aware that the 30 day limit may pass. Don't go past without dealing with the problem.

burn
pushin' record

Post by burn » Wed Nov 17, 2004 5:56 am

Thanks a lot folks, very helpful. But now i'm a bit scare of getting screwed, but still not sure. I bought the mics on Oct 19, the guy said he sent them, never received them, a week ago he said he resent another pair and according to the guy at post office i'm supposed to receive them at the end of the week.

The fact is that if at the end of the week i didn't get them, it 'll be too late for a complain throught Paypal (I paid paypal with credit card, could this considered a credit card fraud?) I asked for a tracking #, but he said USPS doesn't provide a tracking number (normal mail not, but they provide one for insured one i think?)

The weird thing is that since yesterday the guy got a new feedback on ebay from a guy who bought the same mics from him at the same time than me and said: "Didn't receive first set of mics, was kind enough to send second set. A++"

I suspect the seller to never sent the mics the first time (maybe he didn't have them, and have to order them from somewhere??) but at this point I don't care about that, I just want to be sure I'll get what I paid for...

Fieryjack
steve albini likes it

Post by Fieryjack » Wed Nov 17, 2004 8:17 am

What SPace Ryerson is correct....if you have paid by credit card, your chances of recovering monies is significantly increased.

Unfortunately, with Maged Taha, I paid via certified check, the only thing he woudl take.

American Express is usually great.

Fieryjack
steve albini likes it

Post by Fieryjack » Wed Nov 17, 2004 8:19 am

....1st time, 2nd time, etc., maybe the guy is committing insurance fraud and pocketing/selling the "lost" mics???

The more you speak, the more fishy it sounds.

space_ryerson
steve albini likes it

Post by space_ryerson » Wed Nov 17, 2004 8:36 am

I would try to get the refund from paypal anyway, and if the mic's show up, then call off paypal's dogs. This way you cover your ass. You always have the option to stop the 'resolution center' at paypal.

Coco
re-cappin' neve

Post by Coco » Wed Nov 17, 2004 8:36 am

Burn, Montreal aint to far from Detroit. Go kick some Dearborn ass and leave a burning bag of dog shit on his front door step. It really bugs me when people get scammed on ebay. I got ripped once. Bought an old mic that was supposed to be working. It was not, although the item description daid fully tested and working. I gave the guy a few weeks to give me a refund and he did not. I left very negative feedback and he had the audacity to respond to my comment by saying he sent me a refund and can not understand why I left neg feedback. I e-mailed him promptly and told him to read his own damn item description before retalliating with a comment that has no validity or truth to it. It was only for $40 so I ended up washing my hands with it. It just sucks that you can't trust anyone anymore.
I know enough to know that I don't know what I am doing.

Generals and Majors http://www.myspace.com/generalsandmajors

wallace
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by wallace » Wed Nov 17, 2004 8:39 am

If you are going to file a complaint on paypal, you need to do it BEFORE a month has gone by, otherwise you'll get no love, like a freshman boy at the senior prom.