headphone mic

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
lee
steve albini likes it

headphone mic

Post by lee » Wed Nov 17, 2004 12:28 pm

has anyone ever noticed that if you plug a set of headphones into an input, it actually works as a mic!? (tip for the beginners); too broke to buy a mic AND headphones, well you can get 'em both in one shot.
it actually sound pretty cool on an acoustic guitar. they kinda wrap themselves around the guitar. incredibly bassy of course, but if your looking for something "different", it makes a cool undertone to the song.

nacho459
re-cappin' neve

Re: headphone mic

Post by nacho459 » Wed Nov 17, 2004 12:33 pm

midiot
pushin' record

Post by midiot » Wed Nov 17, 2004 12:37 pm

right, for those who dont know. this can be a quick way to tune an acoustic to a tuner with a 1/4" plug. I have never tried recording it, although I was asked to do it once. We just never got around to it. I assumed it would sound like ass, but I still would try it.
boom-ptch-boom

campironwood
ass engineer

Post by campironwood » Wed Nov 17, 2004 4:06 pm

wrap the headphones around your torso, craknk the gain... and listen to your heartbeat...

pretty cool and useful sometimes.

you'd be surprised how much low end information you can get out of your heart.

sample that and double it up with a kick drum sample....

can't think of anything more organic than that.

-m

Family Hoof
buyin' a studio

Post by Family Hoof » Wed Nov 17, 2004 5:53 pm

Only the left ear will work. The right one becomes defunct. I mic'd my drum kit this way when I first started recording. Little broken headphones clipped to all the toms. I felt so cool.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Wed Nov 17, 2004 11:02 pm

I have two old headphone ears with XLRs wired to them. They are just the ear thingy without the headband. Works really cool taped to the front head of the kick drom, or used as a muffle on the snare or toms, but being recorded as well.

I really like the sony one taped to the front head of the kick. Like a "wooden 808" sound, or the sound of getting kicked in the chest by a refrigerator box...

(um, yeah).

seeabove
pushin' record

Post by seeabove » Wed Nov 17, 2004 11:31 pm

Joel Hamilton wrote:I have two old headphone ears with XLRs wired to them. They are just the ear thingy without the headband. Works really cool taped to the front head of the kick drom, or used as a muffle on the snare or toms, but being recorded as well.
The ears just fell off my favorite set of phones and I'd love for them to live on as a mic. So how did you wire it up into an XLR (I am very much a novice with a soldering gun in my hand). Three pins: hot, cold, and ground. How did you wire? Mono or stereo (ooooooo....)

Thanks!
I get satisfaction of three kinds. One is creating something, one is being paid for it and one is the feeling that I haven?t just been sitting on my ass all afternoon.

lee
steve albini likes it

Post by lee » Thu Nov 18, 2004 7:10 am

DO TELL, DO TELL!!

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Thu Nov 18, 2004 7:21 am

Get an XLR connector. Solder the wires to the three pins. Try it. Repeat if it doesnt work.

That was the way both of mine were made. They are only one ear each, so they are mono. Together I suppose you would have stereo ;)

They sound so eird, and the two different models of sony that have died have a totally different sound.

Fun stuff under the right circumstances.