BLUE lollipop capsule for AKG 451?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Ian
alignin' 24-trk

BLUE lollipop capsule for AKG 451?

Post by Ian » Fri Nov 19, 2004 9:24 am

Has anyone heard this product, I have a few 451's and would be interested in one of these, "they"say it sounds like a C12, I seriously have my doubts, but if anyone knows better, fill us in.

Coco
re-cappin' neve

Re: BLUE lollipop capsule for AKG 451?

Post by Coco » Fri Nov 19, 2004 9:43 am

I just asked this question on a thread about the Blue Ball and Robbie pre. A guy over on the 3db audio forum likes his a lot and that is what got me thinking. I think the capsule is $450 US. I am very curious as well. I think it is probably C-12ish, and wont sound exactly like one. Obviously a C-12 is a tube mic and will have different electronics ect. so the capsule design will be emulated and could share some similar attributes. I would love to try one but do not feel like shelling out $450 just for an experiment.
I know enough to know that I don't know what I am doing.

Generals and Majors http://www.myspace.com/generalsandmajors

jrsgodfrey
re-cappin' neve

Post by jrsgodfrey » Fri Nov 19, 2004 9:53 am

Well, I heard the 451/Blue combo, dug it a lot, sold my Brauner (fet, nice but never did it for me) and have purchased a Blue lolly. They've got them up on ebay starting at $400. No other bids, so I grabbed it. Free shipping also.

Round of vox and acoustic overdubs coming up. Will report my findings as a review here. If it works out, I'm thinking about a pair.

Cheers,

Jay

chetatkinsdiet
buyin' a studio

Post by chetatkinsdiet » Fri Nov 19, 2004 10:32 am

I've got one and love it. A C12? Not sure....I wish I had a great, vintage C12 that I could compare to, but if I owned one of them, or had access to them....why would I need the lolly?
I think it's a great capsule. If you've got an older 451 preamp, get one. You're getting an amzing LD capsule for under $500.
If you really want the real C12 sound, I hear that you can simply pick up one of the older AKG tube versions of the 451. I forget the number off the top of my head......C28? Is that right? They're usually around a grand or so....from what I hear, it's the same preamp and everything as the C12, just in a smaller body and obviously, the small diamater capsule that normally ships with these. Add the lolly and it's supposed to be pure bliss.....
later,
m
The only true great mic on this planet is the Shure SM-57. It is the most consistant in not totally sucking of anything ever built. All other mics are "application dependant".

-- Fletcher

Coco
re-cappin' neve

Post by Coco » Fri Nov 19, 2004 11:01 am

I thought about the C28 thing as well. they are kind of hard to find though. I was looking for one last year but never found one so I spent the cash elswhere. I think I will consider the lollipop capsule now. Did any of you guys try it on vocals?
Last edited by Coco on Fri Nov 19, 2004 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
I know enough to know that I don't know what I am doing.

Generals and Majors http://www.myspace.com/generalsandmajors

chetatkinsdiet
buyin' a studio

Post by chetatkinsdiet » Fri Nov 19, 2004 12:01 pm

That's about all I've used it on. It's a bit tailored for vox, IMO. It might work for other stuff as well....I know the original C12's are supposed to be amazing on overheads, but I just haven't experimented much.
later,
m

I've seen the c28 recently....vintage king? funkyjunk in london? don't remember.
later
m
The only true great mic on this planet is the Shure SM-57. It is the most consistant in not totally sucking of anything ever built. All other mics are "application dependant".

-- Fletcher