What Did You Work On Today? 11-21-04

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
cgarges
zen recordist

What Did You Work On Today? 11-21-04

Post by cgarges » Sun Nov 21, 2004 12:37 pm

Out with it!

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

dungeonsound615
suffering 'studio suck'

Re: What Did You Work On Today? 11-21-04

Post by dungeonsound615 » Sun Nov 21, 2004 1:08 pm

Nothing really just kinda bummed around, been telling myself to do somethign productive but its just not happening. I need to try adn figure out how to record the sound effect of cars crashing and squeeling tires without leaving my studio. That or im going to have to buy a portable field recorder for a project im not getting paid for. Im also trying to like everyone else to attract more work to my place, as i just lost bussiness to a person who is offering free recording time arghhh kinda upsets me.
anyhow thats about it.

someone motivate me to get my ass moving today
Mike

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Sun Nov 21, 2004 1:10 pm

Not too much, but the day is still sort of young. Finished the cavity shielding on the cheap strat I'm taking on my trip to Norway. Spent an hour or so cutting firewood. Still need to re-record some bass parts for the Prosoundweb CaPE thingy, and there's some web design to do one of these days.

spankenstein
re-cappin' neve

Post by spankenstein » Sun Nov 21, 2004 1:11 pm

I finished a song i started last night. It was origianally in 11/16 but that was a super pain to play on the drums (I'm not a drummer) so I added a note and changed it to 7/8.

Got a Pro VLA yesterday and I've been experimenting with that quite a bit as well.

GLEA
pushin' record

Post by GLEA » Sun Nov 21, 2004 1:12 pm

Continuing work on Donovan's Brain album. Final overdubs and mixing as I go. Work this week was interrupted so we could cut drums on two new songs that we'd stated a few weeks ago. Our drummer went the extra mile and did a great job finding a great arrangement in one of the new ones. Then he asked if he could record a short song I'd solicited from him... There are 13 songs on the album, a couple are pretty long, so once again we have a "double" album. I figure we can link the "sides" with short pieces from everyone. Sort of like Umma Gumma, except everyone gets 2 minutes max, not a half a side!

I'm doing all the work now on the Mac. This has really changed the way I think about the songs and mixing. I'm doing some arrangments of parts in the mix. If it doesn't fit, I am just pulling sections, and phrases out. Making for a better sound. In the past it wasn't so easy to mute bits out. The extra track avalable now are a real treat. I have been adding some additional bg voice and what every else seems appropriate.

back to the soul mine.

RS
the country that rules magnetism, rules the world
http://www.donovans-brain.com

YOUR KONG
buyin' a studio

Post by YOUR KONG » Sun Nov 21, 2004 1:13 pm

At midnight, I was seeing my friend's Yes coverband. Good stuff.

This morning, wife took the kid to her family's for breakfast this morning so I took the opportunity to mix mix mix. Mix, get frustrated, take break, fix it, repeat. Rolled-off the high-end on the hats and applied what I learned from TapeOp's EQ primer and am currently happy. Some tweaking and will be done. Hellsyeah.

Reuben
takin' a dinner break

Post by Reuben » Sun Nov 21, 2004 1:25 pm

Made some quick roughs of the quintet I recorded last night. I can't believe it actually came out okay. I've never had that many people in my room before and it was crowded, but everything was basically in phase and sounds clear. Shocking.

But today is the day the landlord is coming in to knock down one of my walls to fix a drainage pipe, so I cleared out. I'm really nervous about the work he's doing, but I'm more nervous about what would happen if he didn't do the work, so there you go.
Reuben Radding
www.reubenradding.com

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Sun Nov 21, 2004 1:29 pm

I worked to much, but I loved it. Recorded this sloppy punk band for 7 hours straight (well one watter break). Went and ate talk to some friends came back and worked on a mix for another hardcore band which is turning out amazing, possible my best recording yet. Started cleaning up and mixing another punk bands stuff. Left for while, came back and started one the psuedo master for a friend, (it's just some thing for a friend that won't be a real release, so don't try to burn me for mastering shit myself). By then my ears were exhusted and I went to sleep. This was yesterday not today.

hauser gabone
gettin' sounds

Post by hauser gabone » Sun Nov 21, 2004 1:33 pm

-figuring out how to connect my 8-track to my friends mixer.
-figuring out how to record drums.
-rocking out.

nacho459
re-cappin' neve

Post by nacho459 » Sun Nov 21, 2004 1:38 pm

Mixed the morning service, took a walk through the fall trees, went to KFC, logged on to here. Next I'm gonna try to finish my pair of Royer 2001 mods, then watch the Simpsons and Arrested Development.

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Sun Nov 21, 2004 1:39 pm

-waking up
-playing laptop electronic brunch gig (now)
-going to studio g later
-cleaning my apartment
-sleeping

i'll try to eat at some point in there, too.

john
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

phait
takin' a dinner break

Post by phait » Sun Nov 21, 2004 1:40 pm

Still struggling writing an instrumental about meeting E.A. Poe... other than that, nearly finished the album's website which won't be online until that's out.

trianglelines
takin' a dinner break

Post by trianglelines » Sun Nov 21, 2004 2:01 pm

Mixed my friend's attempt at a rockabilly project that has now somehow turned hard rock... and Really Good Hard Rock at that. By buddy did all the guitars and bass, my "more indie and I love Shellac" friend did drums, a few weeks later I wrote the lyrics/vox melody - think Spinal Tap style over-the-top subject matter- and then the "rockabilly" guitarist shows up last Wednesday with the vocalist from My Sister's Machine in tow! Total hard rockin' acid garglin' greatness through an SM7 and a Neve 1272 pre that he brought with him to get "his sound." I tracked without compression, which freaked him out ;-) but he was a total pro and just stepped back off the mic before screaming like a rabid dog :-)

One song is like the pop side of the Yardbirds, the other is like punk rock Skynrd (or the Supersuckers, I suppose). Anyway, I'm like Mr. Indie Alt-Rock of the 80s/90s, so the irony of having this turn out cool proves that I grew up the the rural burbs on Van Halen, AC/DC and Led Zepplin and it impacted me more than I care to admit...

-TimT

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Sun Nov 21, 2004 2:06 pm

Trying to recover from a 15-hour day yesterday trekking down to Conecticutt along with a security guard buddy of mine to an old-timers concert... some of the acts rhyme with Spare Turf and Free Frog Fright and Spay and the Spamericans...

And somebody please explain what the HELL is wrong with the PA systems in supposedly professional venues? Not only was everything just too loud but the vocals in particular were breaking up, I don't know the term for it but it's a kind of frizzly, spitty, shearing distortion around 8 K. It's horrible, and yet people just accept it. Well, I hung out with the sound guy at his Century board, and I introduced myself and said, "Hey, waddaya think of this board?" and he says, "Well, okay, except for the pres and the EQ. Flexibility is good."

And the faders went up and down without any apparent difficulty. Very flexible in delivering terrible sound.
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

MASSIVE Mastering
buyin' a studio

Post by MASSIVE Mastering » Sun Nov 21, 2004 2:12 pm

Ron Holzner (Trouble) just dropped off the tracks (20!) for his new project with Dave Chandler (Saint Vitus), "Debris Incorporated."

Kind of a doom-punk flavor. Some of the tracks are really... uh... "loud" would be a good description... This one will keep me up late to be sure... :(
John Scrip - MASSIVE Mastering