Most ANNOYING drum sound?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Re: Most ANNOYING drum sound?

Post by Rigsby » Fri Jan 28, 2005 3:05 am

Most of Zappa's recordings after say 1975, maybe a little later, especially the live stuff. Eighties were largely horrible all round. Vinnie C stuff that my friend keeps playing me, just too crisp, bordering on drum machine sound. Oh, and Graceland, some good tunes, some good sounds, but horrific drum sound all over.
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com

Stephen B.
gettin' sounds

Post by Stephen B. » Fri Jan 28, 2005 6:24 am

I'm still getting a feel for what it is "cool" to like around here, and it looks like it is definitely "not cool" to like Dave Matthews Band. Well slap me and call me lame, but I like them and I think Dave writes good songs from time to time.

moving on...
I hate "futureman's" "drum" sounds in flecktones stuff. He can play kit, why doesn't he?

We all love the venerable stuart copland, but those little bitty long tom thingy's (that is actually the technical term for them) make me cringe.

I also am not a big fan of the itty bitty snare sound on Steely Dan's Two Against Nature.
"Badness is only spoiled goodness."

C.S. Lewis

X-ian
alignin' 24-trk

Post by X-ian » Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:45 pm

I love some eighties cheese drum sounds used in the right song and arrangement. It all depends on the song. Get a quadraverb and start practicing those gated reverb snares, because they are coming back!!! Come to think of it, I might go out and get a huge set of Roto-toms and a Yamaha DX-7. Although the snare sound that makes me cringe to even think about is the monotonous piccolo on anything by Bruce Hornsby

dayvel
gettin' sounds

Post by dayvel » Fri Jan 28, 2005 5:25 pm

A lot of early punk records are ruined for me cuz some hippy engineer tuned the drums down until the skins were flapping, then put duck tape all over them. I especially hate it cuz that's what happened to me the first time I went in a "real" studio. Fucking hippies.

NeglectedFred
pushin' record

Post by NeglectedFred » Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:44 pm

Zeppelin4Life wrote:Metallica - St. Anger

worst drum sound ever. No lie, when I first heard that track I thought it was like a joking-intro type pop thing.

Dave
I couldn't agree more.. I just don't get it, what were they trying to do? The snare is really a joke.. It's absolutelly the most annoying, pathetic sound I've ever heard.

Did they record this on a beer-marinated radio shack mixer in their garage? I think I heard they substituted the snare drum for a coffee can full of Lars' fermented toenails.

Ivon
steve albini likes it

Post by Ivon » Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:40 pm

I started being aware of popular music in the 80s...and I used to hate the 80s sounding, electronic drums, even when I didn't know anthing about performing music - but I've grown to like them when used appropriately. My mind has expanded along with my growth of musical knowledge. We may dislike something because it's not our preferred approach, but I really believe there are many different approaches to drum sounds. Granted, the 80s sounding electronic drums only fit certain types of compositions...and the same can be said of any modern pop music era with regards to drum sounds. Different styles of music ask for different recording, sound and playing approaches on the kit...and sometimes, I dare say, samples and electronic pads work better (but will never replace feeling and spontaneity). Nearly anything can go if used tastefully. That's my belief.

But...

Lars Ulrich's sound from "and Justice for All" onward is shit.

Zeppelin4Life
re-cappin' neve

Post by Zeppelin4Life » Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:42 pm

Hands down, here it is

http://www.ramdac.org/downloads/MattSmi ... ribute.mp3

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :ar15: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

old, but a classic for sure

the guy actually recorded the friggin drum track in a barn with a metal chair, my friend knew him somehow...I have a picture
I remember when I first heard this, I was outside and my friend burned it to a 'best of metallica CD'. all you could hear from the other side of the yard was that chair rofl :D

?I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.?
David L
KC2UUM
RadioReference.com Admin, Albany NY

soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Post by soundguy » Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:30 pm

if you dont liek the chair sound, prolly want to stay away from vistalite snare drums.

dave
http://www.glideonfade.com
one hundred percent discrete transistor recording with style and care.

SKEETER
steve albini likes it

Post by SKEETER » Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:47 pm

I don't like the drums on most modern music, they sound artificial and sterile. I liked drums when rock music was happening, they always sounded the way drums sound when you are onstage standing next to them. They are too gated and compressed now, most of them sound triggered and have no dynamics.

subversive
audio school

Post by subversive » Sat Jan 29, 2005 12:42 am

70's early 80's roto-toms and the crunk bounce music 808 snare
so ticky just annoying
As It Is... So Be It
Sex Style And Subversion

Ivon
steve albini likes it

Post by Ivon » Sat Jan 29, 2005 12:59 am

soundguy wrote:if you dont liek the chair sound, prolly want to stay away from vistalite snare drums.

dave
Yeah, they may look cool but it's hard to make them sound good.

soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Post by soundguy » Sat Jan 29, 2005 1:20 am

I think the one on st anger sounds fucking incredible, its just mixed in a comical fashion (the balls). Plastic however isnt the first thought when you think of good sounding shells.

dave
http://www.glideonfade.com
one hundred percent discrete transistor recording with style and care.

Stephen
steve albini likes it

Post by Stephen » Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:33 am

dayvel wrote:A lot of early punk records are ruined for me cuz some hippy engineer tuned the drums down until the skins were flapping, then put duck tape all over them. I especially hate it cuz that's what happened to me the first time I went in a "real" studio. Fucking hippies.
Yeah!
Pax, Steve
Necessity is a mother....
http://instantdogma.net

Stephen
steve albini likes it

Post by Stephen » Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:39 am

A few years back a friend of mine and I did a project called Santa's Bootleg. The premise was Christmas songs as if they have been recorded by famous groups. They were mostly original songs (formula: take thre of the groups popular hooks and change them slightly and combine into one song.)
King Crimson was the most fun becuase we did the Jamy Muir/Bill Bruford lineup. Anyway we did three from the eary/mid seventies, Steely Dan, America and Steve Miller. Good Goddess how did they get drums to sound that bad in those days? Bad tuning, weird EQing and duct tape seemed to have accomplished the job. Don't even get me started on the bad bass sounds of some of those records.
Pax, Steve
http://instantdogma.net

Stephen
steve albini likes it

Post by Stephen » Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:40 am

subversive wrote:70's early 80's roto-toms and the crunk bounce music 808 snare
so ticky just annoying
Single headed melodic toms... Eeeewwww.
Pax, Steve