pacific pro audio mics

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
todd
pushin' record

pacific pro audio mics

Post by todd » Tue Jul 29, 2003 9:53 am

has anyone used their $299 9 pattern tube condenser mic? i'm having trouble finding reviews of it online. it sounds like a too good to be true kind of thing, all that in such a cheap package but they apparently offer a 30 guarentee that you'll like it.
i've got a fair collection of mics, but my large diaphram condensers are lacking. all i've got is a akg c2000b (which is suprisingly good on some vocals) and the oktava 319 (trashy room mic...i like it for what it is and can do for me).
i've heard good things about the rode ntk tube mic for a cheaper ld tube...

comments?

thanks,
todd

doc
pushin' record

Re: pacific pro audio mics

Post by doc » Tue Jul 29, 2003 10:29 am

I work in a studio that has two LD-1's and one LD2ube. I like the tube mic okay, but I did a shoot out with my Groove Tubes AM61 and the AM61 won hands down, every time. The LD-1's however, are awesome. I've used them as drum overheads, on guitars, a bass rig, and vocals and they've rocked every time. My friend just got an LD2ube and I think he's pretty stoked. I definitely like it okay, it's just not a go-to mic for me.

-Doc

thewelfareline
takin' a dinner break

Post by thewelfareline » Tue Jul 29, 2003 12:42 pm

hey i cant seem to find the ordering info for these mics any help on a website or such.

thanks
mike
remember when it was dangerous?

check out pics of the new welfareline studios
www.myspace.com/thewelfarelinestudio

toothpastefordinner
buyin' a studio

Post by toothpastefordinner » Tue Jul 29, 2003 3:08 pm

http://pacificproaudio.com/

Friendly people, shipped my stuff fast, no problems.

drew
toothpastefordinner.com

MintFieldMan
audio school graduate

Post by MintFieldMan » Tue Jul 29, 2003 4:41 pm

I own an LD2ube and 2 LD1s as well. The LD2ube is a wonderfull mic for the price. The nine pattern switch on the PS is really handy for dialing in the desired amount of room tone with out having to leave the control room to adjust the mic. I used to work in a studio with 414s and NT2s for large diaphram condensers and I would bring in the 2ube and split the work load pretty evenly between all three. Comparatively, the NT2s were the most accurate sounding, the 414s were a little low-mid heavy, and the 2ube was bright, breathy, and a little dirty.

The guys at PPA told me when I bought the unit that they were going to offer a another tube to swap out with the original for a slightly different sound. I think I remember reading a review (in an old TapeOp?) saying that there wasn't a huge difference with other tube apart from an improved noise floor. Anyone else out there try the other tube?

I did have a little bit of bad luck with the unit at first. My LD2ube's shockmount was missing a peice when I bought it and the cable had a short in it. A friend of mine who has the same PPA mics as I do also received a faulty cord. The good news is that the very nice (and funny) people at PPA replaced our faulty/missing parts without hassle, and neither mic has had a problem since.

offlinepk
audio school

Post by offlinepk » Wed Jul 30, 2003 1:38 pm

Doc will be able to give you more of a subjective comparison between lg diaphram mics, but I can tell you LD2ube works great for me.

I am used to the "you get what you pay for" especially in audio equipment, but this mic reaaly blew me away. My only complaint is the shock mount isn't worth a crap and wouldn't trust it to hold my drink, but everything else is solid.

I dont have much to compare it to, but it sounds great on acoustics and vocals so far.

I am lucky enough to live near PPA office, so seeing the mic in person really sealed the deal. They are very cool guys and will help you in any way possible.

Good luck.

thewelfareline
takin' a dinner break

Post by thewelfareline » Wed Jul 30, 2003 4:35 pm

went to the site, went to the products page but couldn't find the ppa mics.

...i'm an idiot aren't i?
remember when it was dangerous?

check out pics of the new welfareline studios
www.myspace.com/thewelfarelinestudio

Dingo
pushin' record

Post by Dingo » Wed Jul 30, 2003 6:19 pm

I've got an LD2ube and I love it. Vox, guitars, drums, great on everything. Give it a try. 30 day money back guarantee, how can you go wrong?

todd
pushin' record

Post by todd » Wed Jul 30, 2003 6:24 pm

went to the site, went to the products page but couldn't find the ppa mics.

...i'm an idiot aren't i?

no, just impatient. let the home page load and scroll down....there you go!

thanks for the responses...anyone else?

thanks,
todd

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Sun Mar 14, 2004 8:15 am

Ok, so this is an old thread, but I've been thinking about getting the LD 2ube, so thought I'd stir it back up.
I have a LD-1 and like it a lot. It's the only LD condenser I've got, so can't really compare it much. Sounds better than my sm57 on most things though. Sorry that was lame.
Anyone else have anything to say about the LD-2ube? Doc, how much does the AM61 cost? Is it comparable? Is there a better tube condenser for the price of a LD-tube?

markpar
george martin

Post by markpar » Sun Mar 14, 2004 11:34 am

Definitely switch out the tubes. It makes the sound much better. It's an EH 12AY7. Don't remember what the original was, but the EH sounded a lot better to me on guitars and as a room mic.

Also, if you've got an early version of the LD2UBE, there's a newer, different power supply available. Not sure exactly what the diff is (I haven't picked up a new one yet), but it could be something to check into.

-mark

Dingo
pushin' record

Post by Dingo » Sun Mar 14, 2004 1:36 pm

I've got one and I fucking love it. Sounds great on everyone and everything I've tried it on. Get the tube upgrade. It does make a difference. Plus it does have the thirty day money back thing so you can't go wrong. The people there are really nice too. All around good deal in my opininon.