Time stretching-phase problems

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
choke3d
alignin' 24-trk

Time stretching-phase problems

Post by choke3d » Mon Nov 22, 2004 8:52 am

So I've got a multitrack drum file (PT LE - 9 tracks of drums) that I'd really like to slow down before tracking the rest of the instruments. I've got Pitch n' Time as an audiosuite plug, but when I time-stretch it to about 76% of the existing tempo (leaving the pitch locked in), it's like I threw a small stone phaser on the tracks... I don't hear any phase problems at normal tempo. I realize that I'm trying to stretch it quite a bit, but shouldn't there be a way to do so in the computer? My other option would be to do a stereo mix to a two-track 1/4 and slow the tape down, but I'm thinking that it would be too much of a "pitch drop" effect. Any ideas?

thethingwiththestuff
george martin

Re: Time stretching-phase problems

Post by thethingwiththestuff » Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:13 am

that's a good introduction to the limitations of extremely complex calculations in digital audio.

choke3d
alignin' 24-trk

Post by choke3d » Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:32 am

yeah, i guess odds are the computer just isn't capable of doing this - my question is more if there is a creative way to slow down the tempo without losing too much sound quality, or even slowing things down in a way that "sounds cool"? The time stretching effect can sound really neat on vocals, and on drums, but phasey-ness just ain't happenin' on this song.

Mr. Dipity
carpal tunnel

Post by Mr. Dipity » Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:37 am

choke3d wrote:So I've got a multitrack drum file (PT LE - 9 tracks of drums) that I'd really like to slow down before tracking the rest of the instruments. I've got Pitch n' Time as an audiosuite plug, but when I time-stretch it to about 76% of the existing tempo (leaving the pitch locked in), it's like I threw a small stone phaser on the tracks... I don't hear any phase problems at normal tempo. I realize that I'm trying to stretch it quite a bit, but shouldn't there be a way to do so in the computer? My other option would be to do a stereo mix to a two-track 1/4 and slow the tape down, but I'm thinking that it would be too much of a "pitch drop" effect. Any ideas?
Use an impulse based time processor, rather than a granulating one. In other words, use Phatmatik or Recycle, rather than Pitch n' Time.

marcusb
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by marcusb » Mon Nov 22, 2004 1:19 pm

With pitch'n'time at the top of the audiosuite dialog box is a button "Mono Mode" which you can click to "Stereo Mode". I'm pretty sure if you have it set to "Stereo Mode" even when selecting more than 2 tracks it will phase lock the time expansion between all the tracks.

Actually the button may switch between "MONO" and "MULTI" mode, I can't quite remember. I've long since retired P'n'T for the Waves Soundshifter. But in the past I have used PnT to time comp/exp multitrack drums with good results.

Cheers,
Marcus

Electricide
dead but not forgotten

Post by Electricide » Mon Nov 22, 2004 8:27 pm

you'll hate this answer, but transfer to analog deck and varispeed it. That's really the only way to get it perfect.

I recall when I had to change the BPM of a song, you could only process in like 4 or five measure chunks. More than that would throw the tracks off of each other.