Can an assload of Mastering compression sound good?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
andrew embassy
george martin

Can an assload of Mastering compression sound good?

Post by andrew embassy » Tue Nov 23, 2004 8:36 am

Can an assload of mastering compression sound good?

So a while back Rigsby had me lay down these vibes tracks and I did, and I haven't heard anything since (I guess I could PM you, huh, Rigsby?) but I threw this together yesterday (using a slowed down version of the vibes lick he had me do), and I ran a master mix through my Waves Renaissance compressor and pegged it, so it was in the red the whole time (or almost the whole time).

I want to hear what you guys think; the Renaissance seems to do a pretty good job of sounding okay when you peg it like that, but still, is it squashed too much?

Also- I played the filters on my MS-20 to get this super sub bass an I was wondering if you guys thought it was too low; right now on my speakers at work I can barely hear it, and I'm sure on many smaller speakers you won't be able to hear it at all. I'm okay with some speakers not being able to play it, not everybody's got 20/20 speakers, but have I gone too low for most people? For this genre?

If you can't figure out how to work it maybe you don't need another drink
Last edited by andrew embassy on Tue Nov 23, 2004 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
HEY! Who forgot they bag?

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Re: If you can't figure out how to work it maybe you don't n

Post by dynomike » Tue Nov 23, 2004 8:48 am

I think it sounds good. THe bass is a bit low - I can hear it alright, but it might be more audible (don't know if this is what you're going for) if you squared it out a bit (distortion i guess) for more upper harmonics. The vibes sound really good, and the compression is fine for this style I think.

edit: I'm listening on some boston acoustics crm8 i think? Bookshelf speakers, fairly good, with a 7" woofer.

Mike
Making Efforts and Forging Ahead Courageously! Keeping Honest and Making Innovations Perpetually!

andrew embassy
george martin

Re: Can an assload of Mastering compression sound good?

Post by andrew embassy » Tue Nov 23, 2004 9:34 am

Yeah, it's the Filter self oscillating, so it's all sine wave. I LOVE the sine wave, though! Hmm.. maybe another square wave mirroring it, an octave up? We'll see. I'm not a huge fan of square wave bass...

spankenstein
re-cappin' neve

Post by spankenstein » Tue Nov 23, 2004 9:37 am

I think the answer to the compression is that it sounds good so yeah... it sounds good.

That's really low. I'm listening on computer speakers witha sub and it's below there as well.

andrew embassy
george martin

Post by andrew embassy » Tue Nov 23, 2004 9:45 am

hehe, why am I so giddy about putting out sine wave so low? I'll figure out how to get it in the audible range. Maybe for live performance I'll do the sub sub stuff.

andrew embassy
george martin

Post by andrew embassy » Tue Nov 23, 2004 9:55 am

Also- do you guys think that maybe it's because the sub bass is so low that the compression isn't sounding as bad? That it's just taking the top off the sub instead of everything else?

YOUR KONG
buyin' a studio

Post by YOUR KONG » Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:22 pm

andrew embassy wrote:hehe, why am I so giddy about putting out sine wave so low?
Sub-audible frequencies can induce a range of reactions, including disorentation, nausea, and perhaps giddiness.

Keep reaching for that brown note, dreamer!

jajjguy
re-cappin' neve

Post by jajjguy » Tue Nov 23, 2004 3:42 pm

hey yo that sounded awesome on my system, especially the ridiculously low bass stuff. plenty loud. way low, though, not surprised it doesn't come through on some speakers. prolly be good in a car system though, they all seem to have subs now.

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Wed Nov 24, 2004 6:32 am

Hey, i like that, and it's a really interesting use of the pattern - totally brings out the 'cheery' element which i don't think is present in my tune. ...and the bass sounds gooood.

As always, loving your stuff.
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com