Metal (18Visions and Meshugaah)

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
operator_tape
suffering 'studio suck'

Metal (18Visions and Meshugaah)

Post by operator_tape » Wed Nov 24, 2004 8:40 pm

Has anyone everheard the new Eighteen Visions record, the sound of the guitars and the drums are just so heavy. Does anyone know how they possibly did this? The "breakdowns" are phenomenal. The new Meshugah E.P. "I" has some really good metal parts, 20 mins of pure chaos, they have such a thick sound. Does anyone have any comments on these two great modern recording jems of metal. Any thoughts?
Last edited by operator_tape on Fri Nov 26, 2004 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

musikman316
suffering 'studio suck'

Re: Metal (18Visions and Meshugaah)

Post by musikman316 » Wed Nov 24, 2004 11:44 pm

I really couldn't stand the new 18 Visions record, they went nu metal on me for some reason, I really love the first record, but I don't think that the record can hold it's own against Poison the Well's records or Refused's "Shape of Punk to Come"... although I must say that the sound of the new 18 Visions is pretty sick.

Later,
musik

smallsonic
audio school

Post by smallsonic » Fri Nov 26, 2004 7:57 am

Concerning Meshuggah: They recorded the E.P. and the last album in their own studio (I think build it together with Clawfinger). The guitars are custom-made 8-strings from Nevborn (down to F#!) through Pod-Pros in DAW (shitty Cubase). You can check them out on their website http://www.meshuggah.net. A friend of mine got a sheet with the routing of all the effects (most of them modified or custom-made) of the two guitarists. I can asks him to send it to you if you want. Hope this helps!

Kevin Kitchel
buyin' gear

Post by Kevin Kitchel » Fri Nov 26, 2004 2:31 pm

Clawfinger the rap-metal band? Terrible!

For new production, do any of you guys like the more raw stuff? Three records that have amazing raw production for me are

Crowpath - Red on Chrome
Converge - You Fail Me
Lair of the Minotaur - Carnage

That Lair of of Minotaur CD is one of the heaviest things I have heard in a while. Woo!

operator_tape
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by operator_tape » Fri Nov 26, 2004 2:44 pm

smallsonic wrote:Concerning Meshuggah: They recorded the E.P. and the last album in their own studio (I think build it together with Clawfinger). The guitars are custom-made 8-strings from Nevborn (down to F#!) through Pod-Pros in DAW (shitty Cubase). You can check them out on their website http://www.meshuggah.net. A friend of mine got a sheet with the routing of all the effects (most of them modified or custom-made) of the two guitarists. I can asks him to send it to you if you want. Hope this helps!

That would be cool if you could send me the routing of the effects to sylvestermalik@sympatico.ca Thanks

The new converge album is really raw sounding, all done on anallog tape I believe.

MichaelAlan
tinnitus

Post by MichaelAlan » Fri Nov 26, 2004 6:08 pm

I hate hardcore. BUT...Norma Jean's Bless the Martyr was awesome...and recorded ALL ANALOG no computers involved. (and LIVE!)

Mike

operator_tape
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by operator_tape » Sat Nov 27, 2004 4:59 pm

FoamyCloset wrote:I hate hardcore. BUT...Norma Jean's Bless the Martyr was awesome...and recorded ALL ANALOG no computers involved. (and LIVE!)

Mike

Cool band and I must admit the recording sounds pretty damn good for a hardcore band.

wenzel.hellgren
buyin' gear

Post by wenzel.hellgren » Sat Nov 27, 2004 5:40 pm

Leather Pants?

helstab
george martin

Post by helstab » Sat Nov 27, 2004 6:00 pm

FoamyCloset wrote:I hate hardcore. BUT...Norma Jean's Bless the Martyr was awesome...and recorded ALL ANALOG no computers involved. (and LIVE!)

Mike
ANALOG and LIVE!!!!! *headbangs really hard a couple times* Fuck computers!
-Matthew Macchio$tab

Al
moves faders with mind

Post by Al » Sat Nov 27, 2004 6:41 pm

How about some Lederhosen?, it's the new rock n roll!

Al

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Sat Nov 27, 2004 7:11 pm

Kevin Kitchel wrote: Converge - You Fail Me
Yes that is a baddass album. It is pretty raw but in a very good way. Not all supper slicked up like a lot of new "hardcore" BS, especially those Orange County bands.

I love the drum sound on the last song on "You Fail Me" I think Kurt Ballou's recording skills have improve from "Jane Doe" to "You Fail Me"

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Sat Nov 27, 2004 8:55 pm

wenzel.hellgren wrote:Leather Pants?
leather pants indeed.

And guys and girls with a lot of hair product in the crowd. I think the boys are more pretty than the girls

wenzel.hellgren
buyin' gear

Post by wenzel.hellgren » Sun Nov 28, 2004 7:47 am

trodden wrote:
wenzel.hellgren wrote:Leather Pants?
leather pants indeed.

And guys and girls with a lot of hair product in the crowd. I think the boys are more pretty than the girls
sounds flammable.

MichaelAlan
tinnitus

Post by MichaelAlan » Sun Nov 28, 2004 7:56 am

Leather pants? have you seen what these friggin kids are wearin'? My band can't even stage dive anymore because these noodle armed black haired kids keep droppin' us! Stage diving is for wieners anyway. But seriously.. whoever just listed Shape of Punk to Come with Poison the Well can just die. There is no comparison. I suggest you throw away your Poison the Well CD because you already own the only CD you'll ever need.

Refused was awesome.

Mike

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Mon Nov 29, 2004 8:28 am

FoamyCloset wrote:Leather pants? have you seen what these friggin kids are wearin'? My band can't even stage dive anymore because these noodle armed black haired kids keep droppin' us! Stage diving is for wieners anyway. But seriously.. whoever just listed Shape of Punk to Come with Poison the Well can just die. There is no comparison. I suggest you throw away your Poison the Well CD because you already own the only CD you'll ever need.

Refused was awesome.

Mike
agreed.. and agreed some more.