Ok, so in your opinion, what do i need?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Ok, so in your opinion, what do i need?

Post by Rigsby » Thu Nov 25, 2004 2:36 am

I've just finished writing my record and i'm probably about a seventeeth of the way through recording. Much of the drums are done, i'm being fairly elaborate with samples to get these, and i'm also happy with the percussion sounds i get with my C4000 and my friend's 451, and i really like the sound of my glock with the 4000 and a 57 underneath. The 451's also good for Oud, i'm really happy with those tones too.

The other instruments i'll be recording are:

Cello,
Violin,
Double Bass,
Electric Guitar (Think Wes Montgomery in tone),
Alto and Baritone Saxophones,
Marimba.

The only mics i have are a 57, 4000, D112 and the loan of my friend's 451, which probably can't go on forever so i'll need my own SDC. My girlfriend (bless her) is getting me an SE1a for christmas, which i'll use when i can't borrow the 451, which is my Ouddist friend's so at least i can use the 451 on that. I use the pres on my Spirit Rac Pac to record, and i'm happy with the sound with condensers, though i know i'm not getting the best out of dynamics with this mixer. I'm recording to VST and i also have an old fostex digital eight-track for things i can't record at home (like the Marimba which is 30 miles away and difficult to get up my three flights of stairs).

I'll be mixing at my friend's, who has pro tools and generally a far cleaner set-up, so i'm not worried about any of the aspects of the mixing, but here's the question.. i usually have around ?100ish to comfortably spend on gear every month these days, what do you think i should spend that on or save for? Most of the instruments i'll be recording i've not recorded with the equipment i have here, i'm fine with the mic technique aspect from my days at Music Tech School, but some of those mics are way out of my price range, and they had some pretty nice boards there too.

I obviously want to make the best sounding record possible, but i also don't want to spend the rest of my life saving to do so, it's a limitations issue i guess. I'm hoping that sales from this one will give me a better gear budget for the next one, but that's not going to help me right now.

In my head it's a fairly warm sounding, 'in the room' type record, elements of 50's and 60's jazz, non-electric ambient, small ensemble classical, soundtrack type-stuff; and i've set myself the deadline of finishing recording by end of February. That'll give me four paychecks, so i guess i have ?400 ($750), though i could probably push that to ?500 ($940) at a pinch.

Any thoughts?
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Re: Ok, so in your opinion, what do i need?

Post by Rigsby » Thu Nov 25, 2004 7:48 am

Bump it up baby.

rigsbysmith.com

bobbydj
on a wing and a prayer

Post by bobbydj » Thu Nov 25, 2004 7:54 am

You always bump yourself rigsby.

I'm watching you.
Bobby D. Jones
Producer/Engineer
(Wives with Knives, Tyrone P. Spink, Potemkin Villagers et al)

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Thu Nov 25, 2004 8:04 am

bobbydj wrote:You always bump yourself rigsby.

I'm watching you.
Thanks! I bet from the outside this is starting to seem like a relatively popular thread.

rigsbysmith.com

Coco
re-cappin' neve

Post by Coco » Thu Nov 25, 2004 8:45 am

What about a nice old ribbon mic? You can get those old Reslo ribbon mics cheap over there.
I know enough to know that I don't know what I am doing.

Generals and Majors http://www.myspace.com/generalsandmajors

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Post by dynomike » Thu Nov 25, 2004 8:50 am

All this is pointing towards ribbons or tube sdc's.

km54/km56 on the room.. how sweet would that be :)

Realistically, you could grab some of those new nady ribbons. They're cheap.
I would definately go ribbon with all the strings you are doing.. and you want a warm guitar sound. Coles would be nice if you can afford 'em.

Beyer m130/m160 would be nice for drums. Not as "ribbony" sounding as say a coles, not in the classic sense.
Making Efforts and Forging Ahead Courageously! Keeping Honest and Making Innovations Perpetually!

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Thu Nov 25, 2004 10:19 am

dynomike wrote:All this is pointing towards ribbons or tube sdc's.

km54/km56 on the room.. how sweet would that be :)

Realistically, you could grab some of those new nady ribbons. They're cheap.
I would definately go ribbon with all the strings you are doing.. and you want a warm guitar sound. Coles would be nice if you can afford 'em.

Beyer m130/m160 would be nice for drums. Not as "ribbony" sounding as say a coles, not in the classic sense.
I've little experience of ribbon mics, but i have two concerns: with using the pres on the board i won't be able to use phantom powered mics alongside the ribbons which'll narrow options down a bit. Secondly, aren't they pretty low power? If so, i'll be in for a fair bit of hiss and noise as the board's pres aren't doing too much for my dynamics. Saying that, i do like the sound from what i've heard.

The Nady ribbons.. cheap and good, or just cheap? Anyone think my cash might be better spent in a pre or two, i think i could get a couple of sytek channels for the top end of my budget. How do you all think the money's better spent?

rigsbysmith.com

Meriphew
deaf.

Post by Meriphew » Thu Nov 25, 2004 10:21 am

Rigsby wrote:I've just finished writing my record and i'm probably about a seventeeth of the way through recording.
Well, if you were a fifteenth or even a sixteenth of the way done I'd prolly recommend something else, but since you're only a seventeenth of the way there, you might want to save for a nice ribbon mic. :wink:

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Thu Nov 25, 2004 10:25 am

The Syteks come four channes at a time. Do you mean a couple of Sytek units or a four-channel Sytek? If you mean you have about $1600, I'd look into a Sytek, which rocks for use with ribbon mics and an old RCA BK5A or a Beyer M160 and an Oktava ML52-02. Or, I'd take a gamble on the new Nady. Everyone who has them seems to like them.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Thu Nov 25, 2004 10:43 am

cgarges wrote:The Syteks come four channes at a time. Do you mean a couple of Sytek units or a four-channel Sytek? If you mean you have about $1600, I'd look into a Sytek, which rocks for use with ribbon mics and an old RCA BK5A or a Beyer M160 and an Oktava ML52-02. Or, I'd take a gamble on the new Nady. Everyone who has them seems to like them.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
A four channel sytek, yes, sorry, been typing and thinking while dancing (should stop that really). I've seen them knocking about on eBay for around $8-900, but it's a lot of money to risk over the net so that's a concern. I keep passing on the octavas for two reasons: one my ribbon/phantom power concern and also because of the variation in sound quality and frequency response that seems to occur with octavas generally, is this still common in the ML52-02s? I've been tempted by them before, that's the two ribbon version isn't it?

If i were to buy a ribbon mic is there a quiet single channel pre that would also fit in my budget so i could still use my board with the condensers at the same time. There would be some things i'd want to use the 4000's omni pattern on alongside a closer mic.

rigsbysmith.com

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Thu Nov 25, 2004 10:50 am

Rigsby wrote:A four channel sytek, yes, sorry, been typing and thinking while dancing (should stop that really). I've seen them knocking about on eBay for around $8-900, but it's a lot of money to risk over the net so that's a concern.
Mike Stoica, the guy who designed and builds them, sells overstock on ebay all the time. His user name is Mike417 or Mike423 or something like that. His listings usually include some obvious indications that he is THE GUY. He's really nice. You could even just email him at www.sytekaudiosystems.com and he'll probably just flat-out sell you an overstock unit for less than $900.
Rigsby wrote:I keep passing on the octavas for two reasons: one my ribbon/phantom power concern and also because of the variation in sound quality and frequency response that seems to occur with octavas generally, is this still common in the ML52-02s? I've been tempted by them before, that's the two ribbon version isn't it?

Yes, the ML52-02 is the dual ribbon version. They're not the most versatile mics in the world, but what they do, they do very well. I have two of them and while I wouldn't call them matched, they're both very similar in sound quality and both are very pleasant-sounding and work well.
Rigsby wrote:If i were to buy a ribbon mic is there a quiet single channel pre that would also fit in my budget so i could still use my board with the condensers at the same time. There would be some things i'd want to use the 4000's omni pattern on alongside a closer mic.
I haven't heard any that knocked me out that were what most people would consider inexpensive, so I'm the wrong guy to ask.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Thu Nov 25, 2004 10:55 am

Thanks Chris, that's incredibly helpful. Following your leads right now.

rigsbysmith.com

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Thu Nov 25, 2004 10:58 am

No problem. Good luck and keep us posted!

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC