don caballero drums.

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
markee2004
takin' a dinner break

don caballero drums.

Post by markee2004 » Thu Nov 25, 2004 7:41 am

hey guys, and girls i suppose too, I would be very intrigued to know anything and everything about what drums damon che uses (particuarly on the last couple of albums). especially what type of wood, size, and thickness, his drum shells are; and also what type of skins/drumheads he uses both live and in the studio. So if anyone knows anything about any of the afforementioned or knows of any resources to find out - please don't hesitate to post, or email me. thanks.
you can buy all the equipment in the world but it won't write the music for you.

thethingwiththestuff
george martin

Re: don caballero drums.

Post by thethingwiththestuff » Thu Nov 25, 2004 7:49 am

not sure about the actual drums, but electrical.com has lots of info on their recording, including a thread with detailed pictures.

onlyreason
gettin' sounds

Post by onlyreason » Thu Nov 25, 2004 8:14 am

From what I remember seeing him play live, his kit is old and beat up. Nothing special at all. I do know that he tours with a big wooden board that has holes drilled in to specific spots so his drums will be set up exactly the same every show. And he plays his snare super super low.

But yeah, I'm pretty sure he's not doing anything drastically different, tuning-wise, to his drums either. He's just a monster player whou could probably make any kit sound good (although he seems like the type of guy who would laugh at you if even suggested he use anything but his own.)

I also remember that he didn't use very many cymbals. A couple of big crashes, a big ride, and hats.

bad_dude_69
re-cappin' neve

Post by bad_dude_69 » Thu Nov 25, 2004 8:34 am

he actually doesn't use crashes, only rides (but as crashes).
medicate? oh, i thought you said "meditate."

Coco
re-cappin' neve

Post by Coco » Thu Nov 25, 2004 9:03 am

ihavecomputer wrote:he actually doesn't use crashes, only rides (but as crashes).
Nice!
I know enough to know that I don't know what I am doing.

Generals and Majors http://www.myspace.com/generalsandmajors

markee2004
takin' a dinner break

Post by markee2004 » Thu Nov 25, 2004 10:31 am

mmmhum, it's just that the tone he gets on "american don" is so amazing I was just really interested in what skins and drums he used in the recording of that album.
you can buy all the equipment in the world but it won't write the music for you.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Thu Nov 25, 2004 10:40 am

Here ya go! It doesn't get much more helpful than this.

http://www.electrical.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=20

They look like older Pearl or CB700s with a Ludwig keystone badge wood snare and Remo coated Weather King heads.. If the hardware is any indication, they're Pearls.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Thu Nov 25, 2004 11:33 am

Yeah those pictures are fucking awesome.

I saw Don Cab in St Louis in 2000 and it was really fucking good. He plays so fluid. His arms just look like liquid when he plays.

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Thu Nov 25, 2004 11:52 am

i still say its the sweat. besides dave pere ubu thomas, i have never seen anyone sweat so much...

nonetheless, i can't think of anything very special about his drums. except that he has really big sticks and hits really fucking hard.

because of that his skins are messed up all to fuck.

umm. my memory may be off here, but in 98 or so, i think he was using a sort of standard japanese sort of set. like black pearls or something like that. nothing that stuck out, but, yea, i think one of those late 80's maple "power" kits.

Phiz
buyin' gear

Post by Phiz » Thu Nov 25, 2004 12:52 pm

I did a few live sound gigs with don caballero in the late 90s. Back then he was nailing his kick drum to the stage. One of the shows had a carpeted stage. He tried hammering nails into it and then realized there was concrete under it. So instead he used about half a roll of duct tape in a pretty futile attempt to keep the kick in place.

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Thu Nov 25, 2004 1:24 pm

Phiz wrote:I did a few live sound gigs with don caballero in the late 90s. Back then he was nailing his kick drum to the stage. One of the shows had a carpeted stage. He tried hammering nails into it and then realized there was concrete under it. So instead he used about half a roll of duct tape in a pretty futile attempt to keep the kick in place.
where and when?

i toured with them round 98, but east coast only.

markee2004
takin' a dinner break

Post by markee2004 » Thu Nov 25, 2004 1:31 pm

thanks for the link dude slightly higher up the page. I also wonder if those double-butted sticks he uses make much difference to the timbre.

If either of you two guys immediately above me have got his email address please, please, please could you pm it me. I only wanna ask him a few dorkie drum questions.

Phiz
buyin' gear

Post by Phiz » Fri Nov 26, 2004 3:59 am

eeldip wrote:
Phiz wrote:I did a few live sound gigs with don caballero in the late 90s. Back then he was nailing his kick drum to the stage. One of the shows had a carpeted stage. He tried hammering nails into it and then realized there was concrete under it. So instead he used about half a roll of duct tape in a pretty futile attempt to keep the kick in place.
where and when?

i toured with them round 98, but east coast only.
Pittsburgh, one show was halloween of 1997, the other show was in 1998 or 1999. I was a house engineer -- not affiliated with the band. I don't believe they brought an engineer with them to either of those shows.