Monitors for about $300?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
rkruz
audio school graduate

Monitors for about $300?

Post by rkruz » Thu Nov 25, 2004 9:40 am

DO you have any experience with monitor in this price that you would for studio monitors ($300 range)? This is for a home studio in office that is not set up with acoustic walls or anything. Just drywall and furniture. I would like to set them up on stands at about ear height and would be within 2-3 feet of me. New or used is ok with me (Ebay).
I currently use my old home stereo speakers with are JBLs 2 way with 12" and tweeter but they are really to large to place anywere convenient and besides I hear consumer speakers are not good for monitors as they color the sound as bass etc.

Should I get active monitores bi-amped etc. Or is it ok just to use my amp to drive some decent passive ones?

Event 2020, Sampson, Beringher Truth, Alesis are some of the names that pop up on Ebay in this range and I guess are low end makers.

Appreciate any inputs!
thanks!

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Re: Monitors for about $300?

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Thu Nov 25, 2004 9:43 am

MAudio BX5s for about $270 new are quite a deal... self-powered, too. Even with the smaller woofer, the bass is pretty understandable.
I've also heard that the Tapco S5s are quite usable, too, at $350ish new.
he took a duck in the face at two and hundred fifty knots.

http://www.radio-valkyrie.com/ao/aoindex.htm - download the new record (free is an option!) or get it on CD.

chris.pickett
audio school

Post by chris.pickett » Thu Nov 25, 2004 10:11 am

I have the Alesis M1 Active MK-II monitors, they are perhaps a bit more than $300 (maybe $400? I paid $700 CDN) but I am pretty happy with them and a lot of people seem to think they are the best thing under the Mackie near-fields. Try to buy them locally, sometimes there are production flaws -- I haven't had any problems.

mertmo
buyin' gear

Post by mertmo » Fri Nov 26, 2004 8:28 am

I have to second the MAudio BX-5.

I like mine a lot. Way more detailed than the NS-10's I mixed on for years.

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Fri Nov 26, 2004 9:05 am

I've got a pair of Behringer Truth monitors. Most Behringer gear is not worth the trouble of plugging it in, but I've got no complaints on these, for the money. Plenty powerful, somewhat versatile...all things considered, not too bad.

rolandk
buyin' gear

Post by rolandk » Fri Nov 26, 2004 9:33 am

I have the 20/20's and they work fine. Not as detailed as the high end monitors of course but they are fairly warm sounding, not harsh speakers.
my band: Mission 5

sad iron
tinnitus

Post by sad iron » Fri Nov 26, 2004 9:50 am

I'll throw in for the Behringer b2031a's. I was shopping for something in the $500 range and tried these just as a refernce point and liked them a lot better than the other stuff in the $500 range. Have been really happy with them.
New music: www.sadironmusic.com

Studio site: www.sadironstudio.com

Novel website: www.sadironpress.com

cashed checks
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by cashed checks » Fri Nov 26, 2004 10:04 am

easy... Wharfedale Diamond 8.2 @ AMS for $340 shipped. definately worth checking out. everything else i've tried out in this price range sounded like mud soup. i was going to get the Event TR8s but they weren't dramatically better for the extra $200.

Don't waste your money, know what your studio is for. Most people can get by with crap as long as you remember what's really important: songs. If you're going to get really serious, save up a little more, otherwise if it's just for home use, the Wharfedale's are top notch. it's a crime they're so cheap.

rkruz
audio school graduate

Post by rkruz » Fri Nov 26, 2004 10:24 am

Thats a good point. After looking at my workspace, my PC is in a corner and I dont have that much room for midsize or book shelf size monitors on either side of it or to place reasonably so I can work and listen without have to move my listening position. . So I started looking at mini size. M-Audio has the DX4 (8.5h x 5.75W x 6.25d) which is biamped and small for $150. Also there is the larger BX5 for $300 which is larger then DX4 but still smaller then all other bookshelves in that price range. Its 9.85h x 6.5w x 8d. That is just about the limit is size so fit reasonably on either side of by PC Display so that I can work and listen without turning my head.

any experience with those monitors?

thx

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Fri Nov 26, 2004 10:40 am

astronaut wrote:Don't waste your money, know what your studio is for. Most people can get by with crap as long as you remember what's really important: songs.
that's so true...and, whatever monitors you get, you'll eventually learn their response and be able to account for that when mixing.

Professor
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Professor » Fri Nov 26, 2004 11:02 am

I always encourage people to get passive monitors because the upgrade path is less expensive in the long run and you get more value per dollar.
Since you already have an amp, there should be no question. If you spend $300 on active speakers, you're spending most of your money on cheap power amps that are powering lower-grade drivers, and if you upgrade later, you'll need to replace both speaker & amp since their kind of inseparable.
As always, I'll suggest B&W speakers and specifically the DM-600 speakers which are small, higher-end home hi-fi speakers that should run inn the $300 a pair range and will give you aluminum tweeters, kevlar woofers, and amazing quality and clarity for their size. You might also consider their lower line DM-302 speakers which will a larger woofer but still run about the same price (somewhat lower grade parts, but still head and shoulders above M-Audio or Behringer).

You may not have heard of them, but B&W are the 5th largest speaker manufacturer in the world, and they make all their drivers themselves in England, not at an OEM plant in China.

-Jeremy

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Fri Nov 26, 2004 11:16 am

yes yes yes. professor right.

actives are cool for portability etc... but passives are where the deals are at.

you can get a perfectly great amp for less than $100. i just picked up a halfer dh 220 for $75. perfectly workable poweramp for the studio.

then you could pick up some tannoys or whatever for $200 or so... bam..you're in business.

Professor
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Professor » Fri Nov 26, 2004 12:23 pm

He doesn't even need to buy an amp - he's already got one.

Ah yeah, I guess I only mentioned the B&Ws, but should also throw a pitch out for Tannoys. Reveals are very nice, and should be available for your price range. I bought my System 800 passives for $350ish for the pair off of eBay, but they might be too large for you. But the System 600s would be a dream & a steal for you if you can grab them for the $250ish range on the eBeast.

-Jeremy