DVD project idea - interest poll

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.

Would you buy an audio-visual experience oriented DVD?

Yes this sounds very interesting.
No votes
I don't know, indifferent.
67%
No thanks.
33%

Total votes: 3

phait
takin' a dinner break

DVD project idea - interest poll

Post by phait » Sat Nov 27, 2004 11:02 pm

I was having a friend listen to some of my current album work and he had an idea to do a DVD that is just music and video... kind of like a big music video, but as I started really liking this idea, I'm thinking it would be broken into chapters. It would be a moderate undertaking and an ambitious project but I am so in love with this idea that nothing would stop me, and it wouldn't cost that much to do. I already am interested in getting into video editing and am just anxious to get that G5...

Anyway, my question to you is more about - if a new artist released such a project, would you buy it? I think the answer in most cases, when involving a favorite or familiar artist, would be "yes"... His original idea was to have it in surround sound, and while that'd be quite cool, that is a territory I wouldn't feel comfortable doing, my first time for an actual release. I would have to be quite experienced before I'd offer a surround-sound audio-visual experience. So it would be stereo.

My other question is, what if this DVD was a re-release of an artist's album, but with a whole set of videos to accompany each track. Now, you already had the original album - would you buy the DVD that has the original album (maybe some extra tracks) and videos? Or would it be better to release the DVD + the CD together, although that'd be more cost...

I'd just like to see what the demand might be for such a thing, and again not solely from ME but from any new or perhaps "old" unknown artist that might catch your attention.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Re: DVD project idea - interest poll

Post by JGriffin » Sun Nov 28, 2004 1:15 am

I think if you put any sort of "added value" to your release it's a good thing. I'm thinking of doing a DVD or enhanced CD for the next Donny record, and adding CD-ROM content to my rock record, so I'm right there with you (I have as much video editing crap at home as I do audio crap these days!). If you can keep the price near what a CD would sell for ordinarily, so much better. I remember saying to my friends in the late '80s that one day you'd be able to buy the CD of an album and it'd come with all the videos already on it.

I have seen discs that have the CD content on one side and the DVD content of the other--that might be less expensive than pressing 2 sets of discs and coming up with 2-disc packaging.

The other thing to think about is: how much will the visual aspects be accessed? I was thining this afternoon about this stuff and I realized that several of my music CDs have extended CD-ROM features I've never accessed, and almost all of my DVDs have DVD-ROM features I've never played with, since I can't be arsed to stick the DVD in the computer. It'd be interesting to see if there's a marketing study out there somewhere that addresses how much those features get used.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/