Achtung Baby

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Mysterytrain
pluggin' in mics

Re: Achtung Baby

Post by Mysterytrain » Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:36 pm

Tom you beat me to it. Didn't know those articles were still floating around out there. Thanks.

As for Joel's comments about the lack of low-end on Achtung, I'm baffled. I'm shocked in fact. Achtung has been in my record collection for 13 years now, and it has never failed to move MASSIVE amounts of bottom-end, sometimes bordering on the obtrusive. I've owned a half-dozen stereo systems since that album was released, and 4-5 different car systems, and that disc always puts out brutal low-end every time. Mega-bass. Could it be you're missing the heavy sub-bass stuff in your particular playback system?? I just can't imagine how anybody could accuse Achtung of lacking low-end. It's got enough bottom for several albums.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:07 pm

yeah thanks tom for the links.

re: low end...i wouldn't say it's "lacking", but it's never struck me as having lots of LOW lows, with the obvious exception of the bassline on 'trying to throw your arms around this ridiculously long title' which is just monstrous...

mertmo
buyin' gear

Post by mertmo » Tue Nov 30, 2004 3:36 pm

All that you can't...well, forget it. A disc made to sell copies, be played on MTV and get a few grammys. I still can't find the "genius" of it. Not a trace of that challenging and uncertain U2 of the 90s. A shame.
Fucking AMEN brother! I miss the band that was searching so much. Their return to form was crap. The new one doesn't compare to the '90's either.
Pop is a completely underrated record.

I missed the original comment about Achtung lacking lowend, and I have to say.... huh? The whole record has a huge subby quality I think.

Meriphew
deaf.

Post by Meriphew » Tue Nov 30, 2004 3:53 pm

MERTMO2 wrote:

Pop is a completely underrated record.
I agree. I think for some people, the bands new image was hard to get past to actually listen to the music with an open mind.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:15 pm

As far as the low end goes, it just seems to have a really cool "omnipresent low glow" rather than any ACTUAL low end in the kick or the bass.

I know it is perceived as "good low end" and I agree that the record sounds really good! All my statement meant was that I truly was amazed at how LITTLE low end there is in the actual low frequencies, because the record comes off really full and think and whatever ya wanna use for an adjective.

Put that record on, andlisten through studio monitors in a control room: neato weird glowing overall bass presence, but no boomin low end. Really.

It just doesnt move the cones. Just an observation. I like that record.

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Tue Nov 30, 2004 7:28 pm

Without Flood, that disc could have been a mess. Anyone who knows the sound of what he brings to a project, knows the shape the mixes have is all him. Get to know those Erasure, Pop will eat itself and Nitzer Ebb discs and get back to me in the morning. Cripe.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Wed Dec 01, 2004 7:16 am

another helpful, good natured post from jeff. :^:

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Wed Dec 01, 2004 7:46 am

Without Jeff Robinson, this thread could have been a mess. Anyone who knows the knowledge of what he brings to a thread, knows the shape the thread has is all him. Get to know those boutique tube amps, $10,000 mics, and "pro studios", and then get back to me in the morning. Cripe.
beware bee wear

greenmeansjoe
buyin' gear

Post by greenmeansjoe » Wed Dec 01, 2004 9:51 am

joeysimms wrote:Without Jeff Robinson, this thread could have been a mess. Anyone who knows the knowledge of what he brings to a thread, knows the shape the thread has is all him. Get to know those boutique tube amps, $10,000 mics, and "pro studios", and then get back to me in the morning. Cripe.
Awesome!

A+

Joe

Rick Hunter
dead but not forgotten

Post by Rick Hunter » Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:11 am

joeysimms wrote:Without Jeff Robinson, this thread could have been a mess. Anyone who knows the knowledge of what he brings to a thread, knows the shape the thread has is all him. Get to know those boutique tube amps, $10,000 mics, and "pro studios", and then get back to me in the morning. Cripe.
10.0 Well Done.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:17 am

i remember reading about Flood scoring mad weed for Crowded House when he began working on "Together Alone" for them back in the early 90s.

could Jeff do this for us if we pay him $40 apiece? :D
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:47 am

dunno man, that's a pretty expensive delivery service.

saultime
pushin' record

Post by saultime » Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:17 pm

I love U2.

The Edge has to be one of the most original guitar players since Hendrix.
When is the Douchebag Rapture?

mertmo
buyin' gear

Post by mertmo » Wed Dec 01, 2004 3:42 pm

Joel, I think I know what you mean about the low end on Achtung now.
You have a knack for phrasing things just the right way, dude.

And the tone of Jeff Robinson's post not withstanding, Flood is definately the man. His production work on PJ Harvey's records is the shit.

I'm a huge Lanois fan, but he can be a bit heavy handed sometimes. Which is awesome on some records and not on others.
But Flood is a little more understated and seems to be able to get a similar spookiness when he wants to.

Those links on the first page of the thread are awesome. The Lanois one is wacky, though. He seems a bit cranky in that interview. I'm here to witness, though, I saw him play in Taos last year with Henry Rollins's backing band "mother superior" behind him and HOLY SHIT it was one of the most amazing and most thundering rock shows i've ever seen. It was like they were posessed by the spirit of Neil Young and Crazy Horse, but even harder sounding!

In fact, it might actually be the best rock concert I ever saw. Seriously, it was fucking insane. Every single song was reinterpereted and phrased differently. Blew my mind.

Wait a minute, I'm off topic.....whoops

madtho
steve albini likes it

Post by madtho » Wed Dec 01, 2004 5:07 pm

KennyLusk wrote:I forgot to mention...Achtung Baby is in the cassette deck in my car even now as we speak and is typically the only cassette "occupant". :lol:
When an old friend of mine went to the record shop to purchase Achtung Baby, the clerk said-"have you heard this? I promise it wont leave your cassette deck!" she was embarassed to say that she was replacing her worn out copy. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was still there (or a another replacement).

and I too love the Baby

-mad