Question for Joel H. re: g4

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Trem2
gettin' sounds

Question for Joel H. re: g4

Post by Trem2 » Wed Dec 01, 2004 7:51 am

In the letters section of the latest tapeop, your studio partner Tony mentioned that you installed an exhaust tube onto the fan of your g4. Could you elaborate a little on how you did that ?

Many thanks, John.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Re: Question for Joel H. re: g4

Post by joel hamilton » Wed Dec 01, 2004 3:45 pm

Sure!

I simply measured the fan "gazouta" (not the Gazinta) and tony bought a 4 foot (roughly) piece of dryer hose (the silver stuff that looks like a robot arm) and I mounted it to the back of the G4 that lives in a semi-quiet box built into one of our custom desk/rack thingies. On a normal desk, where your legs go, is covered with a piece of plexiglass, and there is big old auralex (the 4" thick wedges) foam inside the "leg area" as well.

The area is open on the back, and about 6" from the studio wall. I put the same kind of foam on the wall behind the G4, but it was still annoyingly loud, and now giving me all sorts of trouble due to slight heat issues.

Anyway,

The dryer hose is mounted with some metal strapping from the top of the "quiet box" and hangs right up against the fan, exits the entire rack out the back, then over to the corner of the studio where the out fires almost directly into a foamed up corner. Pretty quiet, and stays cool pretty well. That worked pretty well....

Then I got the same exact kind of dryer hose and put it on the floor aiming straight into the "gazinta" (goes into) from the side of the desk where the AC vent fires on. That became a great cold air intake that I am actually going to build a whole AC vent right over to... That way we have AC going directly to the back of the rack/quiet box where the drives and G4 live, but with as little noise as possible without getting psychotic. Maybe with a direct AC vent input, I can seal p the back of the box a little better as well.

Nothing fancy, just a hose coming in from near an AC vent, and an exhaust hung from the desk and exiting far away from the computer itself. The G4 has been ROCK solid since!

Heat really fucks with RAM a lot, and causes all kinds of seemingly random errors and crashes, which is what I was getting before the sweet "exhaust mod."

It works really well and cost about 20 dollars for the two hoses and pre-cut piece of plexiglass.

Hope that babble helps you!

No Wave Casio Kitsch
re-cappin' neve

Post by No Wave Casio Kitsch » Wed Dec 01, 2004 7:12 pm

I was wondering about this too. Thanks for posting on it, Joel.

-Giahni
Who cares what it sounds like soloed?

Freelance Recording/Production
Assistant Studio Manager - ShangriLA Studios

Trem2
gettin' sounds

Post by Trem2 » Thu Dec 02, 2004 6:33 am

Sounds pretty simple. Thanks Joel.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Thu Dec 02, 2004 7:38 pm

The studio location is no accident, cedric. A 24 hour deli/diner across the street, and another korean health food/deli around the corner, about 9 great restaraunts...

The subway stairs are one step away....

No accident...