The meaning behind your band/name

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
phait
takin' a dinner break

Re: The meaning behind your band/name

Post by phait » Fri Dec 03, 2004 6:22 pm

Cool, kinda like... my own promotion... :jazzman:

Mr. Leisure
audio school

Post by Mr. Leisure » Fri Dec 03, 2004 6:30 pm

Me and SqueeGees are in a "band" of 2.. me and him more or less, He does guitar/bass/drums, myself is on the guitars/bass. It's not an official name but this has stuck with us for around 4 years, now, we'd just get high, and record some really funky off the wall shit, producing a rather fiasco-like clump of songs.. and dubbed us..

Fantabulouspleefiasco

If it's hard to read, it's just "fantabulous spleef fiasco" using the previous words last letter etc. We're lame and thought it was clever. And I'm pretty sure it's gonna stick.
fantabulouspleefiasco...

d-bolan
gettin' sounds

Post by d-bolan » Fri Dec 03, 2004 10:47 pm

Tanks

named after a T-Rex album that i love.

Danny
call me rabbit fighter

workshed
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by workshed » Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:14 pm

Karlos the Jackal wrote:I used to be in a band called WeeHuggum. Yes!
Anyway, there was a day care center called "Wee Huggum" on the way out to our practice house out in the county. --K
That's hilarious, only because I grew up in Bellingham and totally remember that day care place. I think I remember your band being around, but it might have been after I moved to Portland. Who all was in your band? During which era were you together? I was in the Bellingham punk/hardcore scene from the mid-'80s up until about '91.

My bands in chronological order:

Filthy McNasty:
Bad skate rock, circa 1986 or so. There used to be a convenience store in Bellingham called Rawls, and they were well known amongst the high school kids for looking the other way when we sent in homeless people to bootleg for us. One night we had a local homeless guy buy us some booze and on the way there he was bragging about his skills with the ladies, "I'll do anything with the ladies. I'm a wild man! I'm Filthy Fucking McNasty!" We quickly changed our name without much thought.

First Step:
Bad straight edge hardcore band, circa 1988. Name came from the whole 12-step program thing. Enough said.

Second Nature:
Bad melodic punk band. No idea where the name came from.

Extremity:
Bad hardcore/moshcore band. I think the name was all about being "hard" and "tough." For the record, I don't think any of us were "hard" or "tough" in the sense we intended.

Failure:
Sort of a post-hardcore band... a lot of fun. Not *the* failure. We broke up around the time the famous version started to get some recognition.

Cloudbreak:
Moshcore band. My first band after I moved to Portland. We played a couple garage shows, one if Bellingham. Name was ripped off from a fanzine of the same name.

Red Letter Day:
Melancholy noise pop band. No particular reason for the name, other than none of us detested it too much.

Hutch:
Hookish punk in the spirit of Jawbreaker. Again, no real reason for the name other than it was better than our old name, Rake.

Failtaker:
Dark, mathy punk. No idea where the name came from, although our singer (the singer of my current band), has tremendously bad luck. I joined this band after it had been around for awhile.

Zero State:
Rockin' hardcore stuff. The name sounded cool and fit our sound.

Reduction Method:
We were obsessed with being a technical math rock band. A scientific name seemed in order. And it wasn't taken.

Current band has been called Run Like Thieves... we're not liking it. We've tossed around various ideas but nothing has stuck as of yet. The best of the lot so far has been Bearfighter and I'll Kill You, which has comedic potential:

"hey what's your band name?"

"i'll kill you."

"hey, take it easy!"

...but I don't think I can explain a name like that to my three-year-old son. Music is dischordant, chaotic, pissed off, screamy, sometimes mathy, but almost always pretty fast. We're looking for a name that conveys that.

And look, I've now blathered on for entirely too long about my entirely obscure musical endeavors.

-Bret

Karlos the Jackal
ass engineer

Post by Karlos the Jackal » Sat Dec 04, 2004 2:56 am

workshed wrote:
Karlos the Jackal wrote:I used to be in a band called WeeHuggum. Yes!
Anyway, there was a day care center called "Wee Huggum" on the way out to our practice house out in the county. --K
That's hilarious, only because I grew up in Bellingham and totally remember that day care place. I think I remember your band being around, but it might have been after I moved to Portland. Who all was in your band? During which era were you together? I was in the Bellingham punk/hardcore scene from the mid-'80s up until about '91.
Ha! Fuck yeah. We were playing from '89 to '92 or so. We tended to play a lot of shows at the Up & Up with Wicker Biscuit. The band was me, Beau Fredericks, Eric Ostrowski, and Michael Griffen -- Eric and Michael went on to form noise duo Noggin, if anyone knows them (they're mentioned in the TapeOp book!), and Michael also does noise violin stuff with a number of NW bands (including Behead the Prophet). I was the one with the big mohawk! You remember, the cute one!

Filthy McNasty...damn, that sounds SO familiar (so does First Step). Did you ever read the B'ham skate zine Death McSkate? Maybe that's the name I'm thinking of. No, I'm pretty sure I remember that band. Were you ever called "DIRTY Filthy Mc Nasty"?

So you probably hung out with, like, Bill Baker and Dave Larson and those guys, eh? AH MEMORIES. I bet you a hundred bucks I'd recognize you. Well, less.

--K

(should this have all just been a PM? I'm not "clear" on the "protocol" with that.)

workshed
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by workshed » Sat Dec 04, 2004 9:51 am

Karlos the Jackal wrote: (should this have all just been a PM? I'm not "clear" on the "protocol" with that.)
Yeah, we are probably drifting off into PM territory -- I'll PM you a more detailed reply, because Bill and Dave are two of my oldest friends, and I totally remember seeing Wicker Biscuit play many a party back in the day. Many a connection here.

Cheers,

-Bret

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun Dec 05, 2004 11:13 am

djgout wrote:
vvv wrote: I liked the names at the time, except "Grind" which came from the skaterboi bassist.
damnit, grind engineering is what i've set my DBA up for freelancing as......but i've not been on a skateboard since the late 80's nor would i ever be described as a boi because that spellling is gay as fuck.
Yep, that was a Rorsarch (sp.?) test I failed. I'm still pissed at the guy 12 years later for breaking up what was a pretty decent little power-funk trio. At one point we had Billy Corgan's old bassist singing (Hey, Dale, you around?) and later were the "house" band at Exit in Chicago. (Well, we played their private parties for cheap.)

Demo'd a couple of times with Phil Bonnet (RIP) at Solid Sound; lots of memories.

The bassist kicked me out and got a new guitarist and signed to SubPop for a single, then the band died and went to obscurity.

Heroin sucks.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

NewAndImprov
re-cappin' neve

Post by NewAndImprov » Fri Dec 10, 2004 9:55 am

My band is called Eleven Eyes. It's a 6-piece band, you do the math...