The meaning behind your band/name

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
MichaelAlan
tinnitus

Re: The meaning behind your band/name

Post by MichaelAlan » Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:15 am

trodden wrote:
Hey, I'll check it out! Our keyboardist is a book nut and i'm pretty positive i've seen that in her shelves.

Yeah you site is under renovations... checking out the myspace songs...

A name know one... rockin.

www.wormwood.armrecords.com
Thanks. Sorry about the CEEEERAPPY mp3's but that's what Myspace does to your stuff. We are pretty big Lewis readers in my band. He was a genius, even if you don't believe what he wrote.

You guys have a pretty gnarly sound. Is there even a genre for you? That's pretty cool. I listened to screwtape..It was pretty awesome.

pedrohead
steve albini likes it

Post by pedrohead » Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:21 am

all the bands i've been in have had sucky names: "buck enterprises", "R4", "nester's bad habit", "out of time", "the tourist" (big radiohead fan, sorry... :lol: )

my current band is called "the paper sound".
i didn't name it, the singer did, i think it's a little close to "the jealous sound" (ex-knapsack) for me.

but anyway, the name comes from a line in a Red House Painters song from "Songs for a blue guitar" (one of my all time favs) about the sound leaves make in fall.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:22 am

FoamyCloset wrote:
trodden wrote:
Hey, I'll check it out! Our keyboardist is a book nut and i'm pretty positive i've seen that in her shelves.

Yeah you site is under renovations... checking out the myspace songs...

A name know one... rockin.

www.wormwood.armrecords.com
Thanks. Sorry about the CEEEERAPPY mp3's but that's what Myspace does to your stuff. We are pretty big Lewis readers in my band. He was a genius, even if you don't believe what he wrote.

You guys have a pretty gnarly sound. Is there even a genre for you? That's pretty cool. I listened to screwtape..It was pretty awesome.
thanks!
yeah, were teeter on the genres and get lumped into "general metal." our crowds come from all walks from indie to punk to metal to goth. Its funny, each member of the band tends to represent some part of the music scene. But most of us pulling influences from the DIY hardcore/punk walks of life, at least the way we present ourselves, ideas and ways of life.

I just refer to it as doom.

MichaelAlan
tinnitus

Post by MichaelAlan » Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:26 am

Awesome.

Mike

awolski
buyin' gear

Post by awolski » Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:56 am

Slugbunnies for the rock band I'm in because there are a lot of different styles and opinions going on, so the name implies fuzzy/smooth, warm/cold, cuddly/slimy, etc.

Microcastles for my own solo stuff because I feel like I am building tiny little meticulous structures, like a castle in a bottle or something.

Horsemonkeys for my noise/improv duet started based on this joke that "all the good jazz musicians were on heroin". We're not, but I wanted to use that concept, so I wanted Junkmonkeys. But there was a Junkmonkey at the time, so I just changed it to Horsemonkeys, basically the same thing.

Devlars
re-cappin' neve

Post by Devlars » Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:07 pm

Ooh ooh I almost forgot my joke band that comprises of the two founding members of Speakerphone. We call it Galactic Milkforce Rangers I think the name adequately implies how absurd the music is. We would eventually like to open for ourselves once we come up with a few more songs.
Currently we have one that can vary in time depending on how far we take it. It consists of drums and the cheesiest keyboard sound you can possibly imagine doing these really stupid songs with stream of consciousness lyrics. I figure we'll need to wear obvious disguises (like big hats and moustaches) since as soon as we finished then the other band members would come on and we would do a proper set.
"Yes, you're very smart. Now shut up."
-Peter Falk
Speakerphone
Rexrode Records

wedge
tinnitus

Post by wedge » Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:31 pm

As my avatar implies, the band is called wedge. As was previously stated in the thread, it's the result of me getting sick and tired of the process of coming up with a name, when no one can agree, and if two people do, then the third guy fecking hates it, and it's back to square one. Over and over again. Geezus H. Keerist!

So, in the studio one day, when the engineer queried the guitar player about our name, he spied a wedge reverb unit and said, jokingly, "We're called wedge." I took the joke to heart, then steamrolled all opposition, in order to get the bloody ball rolling, you know?

I teeter between hating and liking it, which in itself is a bad sign I guess. Kinda like wondering if you're going to marry someone: If you have to wonder too much, then that's your answer. Anyway, Billy Joe has said that he hates the name Green Day, so what does it matter what I think of wedge? And I think that The Beatles is a great name, but maybe that's because I really dig the Beatles. It's all about the association, once the project takes flight...

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:48 pm

wedge wrote:As my avatar implies, the band is called wedge. As was previously stated in the thread, it's the result of me getting sick and tired of the process of coming up with a name, when no one can agree, and if two people do, then the third guy fecking hates it, and it's back to square one. Over and over again. Geezus H. Keerist!

So, in the studio one day, when the engineer queried the guitar player about our name, he spied a wedge reverb unit and said, jokingly, "We're called wedge." I took the joke to heart, then steamrolled all opposition, in order to get the bloody ball rolling, you know?

I teeter between hating and liking it, which in itself is a bad sign I guess. Kinda like wondering if you're going to marry someone: If you have to wonder too much, then that's your answer. Anyway, Billy Joe has said that he hates the name Green Day, so what does it matter what I think of wedge? And I think that The Beatles is a great name, but maybe that's because I really dig the Beatles. It's all about the association, once the project takes flight...
Wedge is definitly better than Hoobastank.

trashy
dead but not forgotten

Post by trashy » Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:38 pm

"We need a name that seems really clever at first, but gets less funny everytime you hear it." - Homer Simpson

Devlars
re-cappin' neve

Post by Devlars » Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:53 pm

trashy wrote:"We need a name that seems really clever at first, but gets less funny everytime you hear it." - Homer Simpson
I've never heard that before that's funny stuff. I agree with Wedge and I was getting at the same thing earlier in the thread that the band name begins to seem cool or perfect after a while depending on the band it's claiming. Some bands of course just find good names off the get green or eventually get a good one.

Radiohead (used to be On A Friday)

The Verve

...are two examples of the latter statement.
"Yes, you're very smart. Now shut up."
-Peter Falk
Speakerphone
Rexrode Records

Dr. Sausage
gettin' sounds

Post by Dr. Sausage » Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:57 pm

Radiohead was a Talking Heads song.

prince turbo lung
pushin' record

Post by prince turbo lung » Thu Dec 02, 2004 2:16 pm

The Mighty Rime

The word "rime" is from the poem Rime of the Ancient Mariner. The word "mighty" is my lame ass pretending i live in Kingston, Jamacia in 1975 and i am a reggae superstar!

hey mon!
its on like donkey kong!!!!

Stephen Horsley
pluggin' in mics

Post by Stephen Horsley » Thu Dec 02, 2004 2:28 pm

My band is called The Body Corporate. We chose it cos we all agreed on it, and that had never happened before. I dont really like it anymore, but we are gigging fairly regulary now, and changing our name would just mean we lose momentum, and no one has told us it sucks ass. I liked Kowalski better (off the primal scream song)

We have joke band side project called The Wookies where we all put chewbacca masks on and scream the wookie likes the cookie over grinding noise. This band has only had one practice, and will probably never have a gig. there are too many awful dress up/ joke bands in this town already

matt
pluggin' in mics

Post by matt » Thu Dec 02, 2004 6:08 pm

In another life-time I started a little band in Ohio called Karmalade. It (the name) was nothing more than a mix of karma & marmalade, with a dash of psychedelic swirly-ness. Still kind of like that name...

In addition to Karmalade, I have come up with a gajillion more ridiculous-sounding band names such as, "Manson Family Robinson", "Pork Vader", and one of my personal all-time favorites...MOBY DICKHEAD.

Everybody's X
re-cappin' neve

Post by Everybody's X » Thu Dec 02, 2004 6:43 pm

my band is named Everybody's X (imagine that)

it was named after the fact that I fell in love with a skeezer who screwed all my friends and the local jr. varsity basketball team and probably my dad too.

so I turned into that annoying chick on "say anything" who wrote 40,000 songs about her ex boyfriend like such timeless classics as "joe lies when he cries"

yep thats me