basement studio/low ceiling

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Locked
Rolff
audio school
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2003 10:03 pm
Location: Nashville

basement studio/low ceiling

Post by Rolff » Wed Jul 30, 2003 10:13 pm

I am putting in a studio/music room in a low ceiling basement (literally 6'6"). Nothing extremely serious but I want it to sound good. Any suggestions for acoustics? Area is 12' deep and 10' wide. Ceiling is sheetrock; back and one side wall is limestone rock; front is still open to 10x10 area for instruments seperated by wooden structural support posts; left is open ~10' to mechanical/utility area. :roll:
Rolff

The Gibbon
gettin' sounds
Posts: 105
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2003 8:06 pm

Re: basement studio/low ceiling

Post by The Gibbon » Wed Jul 30, 2003 10:42 pm

Really need all the dimensions width, length, height to calculate what might be your problematic frequencies. You have any corners or angles......need more info.

User avatar
inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer
Posts: 5031
Joined: Wed May 07, 2003 8:37 am
Location: Ithaca, NY
Contact:

Re: basement studio/low ceiling

Post by inverseroom » Thu Jul 31, 2003 4:44 am

Sounds like my setup, and I basically threw in the towel right quick. I put up a bunch of foam to deaden the room and now I use rack reverbs. Or sometimes stick a mic and my head into the dryer.

Rolff
audio school
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2003 10:03 pm
Location: Nashville

Re: basement studio/low ceiling

Post by Rolff » Thu Jul 31, 2003 5:28 am

inverseroom wrote:Sounds like my setup, and I basically threw in the towel right quick. I put up a bunch of foam to deaden the room and now I use rack reverbs. Or sometimes stick a mic and my head into the dryer.
I can send a scanned diagram if you are set to receive and view it.
Rolff
Rolff

Kyle
steve albini likes it
Posts: 368
Joined: Wed May 07, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Portland OR
Contact:

Re: basement studio/low ceiling

Post by Kyle » Thu Jul 31, 2003 7:48 am

Build Ethan's basetraps. This will help a lot. I have a larger set up of your studio. The traps make a world of difference. Put some on the ceiling as well.

http://www.ethanwiner.com/
Kyle

distorTED
alignin' 24-trk
Posts: 63
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:10 pm

Re: basement studio/low ceiling

Post by distorTED » Thu Jul 31, 2003 7:59 am


Rolff
audio school
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2003 10:03 pm
Location: Nashville

Re: basement studio/low ceiling

Post by Rolff » Thu Jul 31, 2003 8:02 am

Kyle wrote:Build Ethan's basetraps. This will help a lot. I have a larger set up of your studio. The traps make a world of difference. Put some on the ceiling as well.

http://www.ethanwiner.com/
Thanks for the info link. :lol:

After speaking with an engineer friend, I am seriously considering cutting ~12"x12" openings into the ceiling, in the back of the room, between the floor joists, and framing in some loose weave fabric to create several small bass traps. I have seen this done before with great results.

I must remind you, the ceiling is only 6'6" high. Not much headroom for hanging traps, let alone headroom.

Otherwise, your suggestion of the "panel" traps, (in a smaller version), might be an option.

Rolff
Rolff

User avatar
Ethan Winer
suffering 'studio suck'
Posts: 436
Joined: Tue May 13, 2003 7:38 am
Location: New Milford, CT, USA
Contact:

Re: basement studio/low ceiling

Post by Ethan Winer » Thu Jul 31, 2003 8:09 am

Rolff,

> I am seriously considering cutting ~12"x12" openings into the ceiling <

Empty holes that expose the floor above will do nothing to control bass. You need serious amounts of fiberglass up there to do any good. If you have a budget you should look into my company's MiniTraps. Otherwise, you can do a decent job by installing rigid fiberglass in all of the room corners. Not just the regular corners, but also the corners at the top of the walls where they meet the ceiling. The great thing about ceiling corners is they extend all the way around the room, and they're up high enough to be out of the way.

--Ethan

Kyle
steve albini likes it
Posts: 368
Joined: Wed May 07, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Portland OR
Contact:

Re: basement studio/low ceiling

Post by Kyle » Thu Jul 31, 2003 8:12 am

Cutting between the joist is a great idea. If you are going to do that I would recommend building Ethans traps into those cut outs, or at least using the corning 703 in the joint space. It's well worth the money.

Do you have room to float a cloud above the console to absorb reflections from the speakers and desk?
Kyle

Rolff
audio school
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2003 10:03 pm
Location: Nashville

Re: basement studio/low ceiling

Post by Rolff » Thu Jul 31, 2003 8:13 am

Ethan Winer wrote:Rolff,

> I am seriously considering cutting ~12"x12" openings into the ceiling <

Empty holes that expose the floor above will do nothing to control bass. You need serious amounts of fiberglass up there to do any good. If you have a budget you should look into my company's MiniTraps. Otherwise, you can do a decent job by installing rigid fiberglass in all of the room corners. Not just the regular corners, but also the corners at the top of the walls where they meet the ceiling. The great thing about ceiling corners is they extend all the way around the room, and they're up high enough to be out of the way.

--Ethan
Makes total sense. I have been studying bass trap design recently and am a moonlight woodworker as well. I am confident I can build some if I go that route.

By the way, your recording of the piece you wrote is fabulous!

I'll keep you posted on the rooms progreess....and thanks so much. Anything else?
Rolff

honkyjonk
dead but not forgotten
Posts: 2182
Joined: Wed May 07, 2003 10:50 pm
Location: Portland

Re: basement studio/low ceiling

Post by honkyjonk » Thu Jul 31, 2003 8:52 am

Inverse,
I've done that same exact thing with your head and a mic in the dryer. Depending on the dryer, but I think the result was awesome when I did it. 'Bout the only good thing I ever recorded on a Boss BR-8 multitrack.

davidp158
alignin' 24-trk
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu May 22, 2003 10:45 am
Location: Bellevue, WA
Contact:

Re: basement studio/low ceiling

Post by davidp158 » Thu Jul 31, 2003 12:50 pm

I also have a small basement studio, (7' 6" ceilings, 24'6" depth, and width that varies as room extends backwards - 11' wide to 16'6"). I can email a PDF of this layout if anyone cares to see it. My control room and tracking room are one in the same. I have a real issue with low frequencies and would love some advice on how to work them out.

When mixing with my nearfields (KRK VS8s), the low end is lacking unless I move back about 5 to 6 feet from the speakers. At that distance, the stereo image collapses, and I can't really pan with any accuracy. Consistently, I have problems getting an accurate mix of low end in this room. I don't feel that its a fault of the monitors, but wonder if there is a better placement for them.

Any clue on how to go about resolving this? If additional info is needed, please ask.

thanks in advance,
Dave

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 28 guests