weird mike distortion for live gigs

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
wenley
takin' a dinner break

weird mike distortion for live gigs

Post by wenley » Thu Jul 31, 2003 8:40 am

Is there a good (or lousy) mike that one can depend on to distort and sound crazy (i.e. Waits, Ministry, etc.). I want to steal an idea from Ed Harcourt. He had two mikes mounted on the same stand, a 58 and something else (I couldn't tell what it was, maybe a Green Bullet?) and in certain points in a song he would sing into the non-58 and his voice sounded like Waits through the megaphone. It struck me as a great way to mask a crappy singer, but also it was just an extremely cool way to break up a song, create nutty hooks in a tune, etc. And I think it would be really fun on a live gig.

Does anyone know where I can get a double mike mount? Can anyone recommend a crazy sounding mike, or should I just a regular 57 or 58 through a fuzz box then into the PA? Thanks for any and all insight.

mbc0920
audio school graduate

Re: weird mike distortion for live gigs

Post by mbc0920 » Thu Jul 31, 2003 9:24 am

speaking of the double mic on stage thing... I saw The Polyphonic Spree a few months ago at the Metro in Chicago and for his "weird" mic Tim DeLaughter was using a strange looking mic that was a horizontal brass cylinder... anyone know what kind of mic that is?

mark

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Thu Jul 31, 2003 10:04 am

Search this message board for Scott Minor's posts--he explained once how he and Mark Linkous do the distored vocals for live Sparklehorse shows--I really like the sounds those guys make.

thunderboy
buyin' a studio

Post by thunderboy » Thu Jul 31, 2003 2:13 pm

Polyphonic Spree uses THIS.
Just get a stereo bar if you want to do the dual mic thing. Howe Gelb does this with a Shure 55 (for slap echo vox) and a Beta 57 for regular vox. The guy in Skeleton Key uses a Green Bullet for his F'd up vox (though the new ones don't sound so f'd up - needs a little tweaking!). I took an old dead Astatic chassis and slapped in a dynamic element I bought from Mouser - epoxied it in place, sounds horrible in that useful way we are looking for here. I've even used off-spec 57's and 58's for this kind of thing (coil was damaged or the diaphragm was punctured - neat!)

jt
"most toreadors worth a damn are circumcized."
- Discs of Tron

the velour fog
buyin' a studio

Post by the velour fog » Thu Jul 31, 2003 2:45 pm

inverseroom wrote:Search this message board for Scott Minor's posts--he explained once how he and Mark Linkous do the distored vocals for live Sparklehorse shows--I really like the sounds those guys make.
AMEN TO THAT!
"Set Phasers to Extra Slow."

pharaoh0
audio school graduate

Post by pharaoh0 » Fri Aug 01, 2003 9:34 am

thunderboy wrote:Polyphonic Spree uses THIS.
wow 250$ for a piece of copper tubing with some low grade telephone-like sounding inards.

lofi for the upper class

pharaoh0
audio school graduate

Post by pharaoh0 » Fri Aug 01, 2003 9:35 am

thunderboy wrote:Polyphonic Spree uses THIS.
wow 250$ for a piece of copper tubing with some low grade telephone-like sounding inards.

lofi for the upper class