Reel to Reel recommendations?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
swillhite
audio school graduate

Reel to Reel recommendations?

Post by swillhite » Sun May 11, 2003 7:57 pm

I'm sure this question pops up a lot and I apologize if many of you have been through this before but I am looking to buy a reel to reel to supplement my digital system. Mainly I would like something to record tracks to (sometimes in stereo) and then dump them into Cubase SX for mixing, etc. I don't need a lot of tracks (2 or 4 is acceptable) but I am looking for a recorder with a good frequency range, available parts, reliability, and a generally nice warm sound (aren't we all...). I am willing to spend up to about $500. Any good recommendations and/or bad experiences would be greatly appreciated. Or if you know of any other links to this kind of discussion that would be great, too.

Thanks!

Willy

markpar
george martin

Re: Reel to Reel recommendations?

Post by markpar » Sun May 11, 2003 8:36 pm

The Teac 3340 (1/4" 4-track) is well within that price range. I see them on eBay quite frequently for under 500. Lots and lots of people have used 3340s. Having never owned one, I can't speak directly about their reliability, but I've never heard any horror stories about owning one, either.

Good Luck!
-mark

foley
pushin' record

Re: Reel to Reel recommendations?

Post by foley » Mon May 12, 2003 8:55 am

Otari makes two and four track machines. They are going pretty cheap these days as well (heck, you might even be able to get the 1/2" 8 track for around 500!).

You need to think about track width. 1/4" two track is fine, 1/4" four track is pushing it (imo). I have not had very many problems with service on otaris. The parts are reasonable, and techs usually have some experience with them since they were radio station staples.

Good luck!

mf