Lubricated goat -rules! am I wrong?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Electro-Voice 664
re-cappin' neve

Lubricated goat -rules! am I wrong?

Post by Electro-Voice 664 » Wed Dec 08, 2004 7:30 am

I just wanted to open a thread on Lubricated goat. The old red eye records albums are some of my favorite ever. The production and sound quality is so raw and gritty, it fits in perfect with their fucked-up songs and styles. 'Paddock of Love' is very distinctive. Anyone else love the 1st 3 Goat albums 'Paddock of Love' 'Plays Devils Music' 'Psychedelicatessen' (put out in the late 80s through AMREP)? I just wanna know there are some of you out there that are hip to the sweet sounds of Stu and the gang. If you haven't heard these records, you really need to. More important listening than any Led Zepplin Album, and listen to them too! I'd love to hear how much you like the records!
"Play ethnicky jazz to parade your snazz. On your five grand stereo."

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Re: Lubricated goat -rules! am I wrong?

Post by joel hamilton » Wed Dec 08, 2004 7:36 am

I recorded that "great old ones" with those guys. You should check that out. Aside froom a really bright mastering job, it is really good. Stu is playing with Natz from Cop shoot cop and Ant from the spitters on that record.

We had fun.

linus
re-cappin' neve

Post by linus » Wed Dec 08, 2004 7:50 am

I saw Lubricated Goat live in ~ 1987 in Madison WI at O'Kays Corral. I hadn't heard them before, just went purely on the name and the fact that they were on Amphetamine Reptile records. There were only about a dozen people at the show (they kicked ass!) and four of the twelve members of the audiance were Soundgarden (who were in town to play O'Kays Corral the next night.

The stage was really small and low. Some drunk guy picked up the bands pitcher of beer from the front of the stage and started drinking directly from it. The lead singer saw this and mid-song kicked the drunk guy square in the face. That put an end to that...

Fierce live band. Absolutely fierce.

xonlocust
tinnitus

Post by xonlocust » Wed Dec 08, 2004 8:25 am

that "plays the devils music" record is awesome - and probably my all time favorite song of thiers is the "in the wrong hands" 7" where the entire song is just repeating that phrase over and over in time with the music.

i gotta go home tonight and put them on.

linus - o'cayz was awesome! i saw my first real, underground/indie whatever show there - killdozer - it was life changing.

joel - i didnt know natz was on that record. do you have any idea what phil puleo is doing these days? i loved his drumming.

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:00 am

I remember listening to and liking "play the devil's music" but i haven't heard it in a while..
beware bee wear

voxphantom_12
audio school

Post by voxphantom_12 » Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:18 am

I used to go see those guys at Gilman years ago. Always a seriously kick ass show. My buddies and I totally used to made fun of them because of their name, but once we all saw them, it was nothing but mad respect. gotta love the Goat.

awolski
buyin' gear

Post by awolski » Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:50 am

Hell yeah. Let's see if I can nail this couplet from "Paddock of Love" correctly:

Walkin' down the street, I got my feet in my pockets
My money and my keys in my left eye socket

And so on. I love the surreal lyrics, the devil stuff and the sludgey expressive rocking. And the early stuff with horns reminds me a little of the Stooges, in a great way. I'll have to check out that "great old ones". Are the Goat a living playing entity again these days or is Stu doing something else?

OneZero
takin' a dinner break

Post by OneZero » Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:36 am

AWE Fuck Yea - I've actually never met anyone who's actually hear d of these guys, but I remeber back in 88-89 my friend who was a dj at KKDVS ( UC Davis radio) he played a song and I hope someone here can tell me where I can find it. Now that I'm thinking about it I think it was a b-side for some Sub-pop 7".

Anyways the song is a recording of all the crazy sounds you can get from a guitar and looped and what not. Like pick scratches and funny string tapping. Does anyone know the name of this song and where I can find it?

as for the production I remember it being pretty rough, but sounded totally mind-blowing.

thanks
I have some really horrible gear!!!

wayne kerr
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by wayne kerr » Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:46 am

They don't sound like Metallica.

SMH
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
-Hunter S. Thompson

flames
audio school

Post by flames » Wed Dec 08, 2004 2:25 pm

my first live gig ever, my band played with them at the old pyramid club in nyc. they scared the hell outta me.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:31 pm

OneZero wrote:AWE Fuck Yea - I've actually never met anyone who's actually hear d of these guys, but I remeber back in 88-89 my friend who was a dj at KKDVS ( UC Davis radio) he played a song and I hope someone here can tell me where I can find it. Now that I'm thinking about it I think it was a b-side for some Sub-pop 7".

Anyways the song is a recording of all the crazy sounds you can get from a guitar and looped and what not. Like pick scratches and funny string tapping. Does anyone know the name of this song and where I can find it?

as for the production I remember it being pretty rough, but sounded totally mind-blowing.

thanks

I believe you are talking about "frotting with ennio" and there is a version of it on the record I recorded/mixed.

On the one that I recorded the drummer played a BMX bike as well....

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:38 am

Joel Hamilton wrote: On the one that I recorded the drummer played a BMX bike as well....
Off topic, but that reminds me of Zappa playing the bicycle on the Steve Allen show (not that i was born then), a recording of that's out there somewhere, i downloaded it a couple of years ago. What did this guy do with the bike?
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com

BrianK
takin' a dinner break

Post by BrianK » Thu Dec 09, 2004 8:07 am

I saw this thread and thought "What YEAR is this?" Seriously - they've been around a LONG time! I saw them at a record store in '92 or so...
Relax and float downstream...

Electro-Voice 664
re-cappin' neve

Post by Electro-Voice 664 » Thu Dec 09, 2004 9:32 am

Joel Hamilton, I thought the new Goat was a best of, now that I know its old songs redone, I'll have to pick it up. Can I rant a little? When 'Forces you don't understand' came out, I was somewhat let down. Why? Forget about the actual songs, but one of the reasons I love those old goat records was the production, the nasty tones, the recording seemed to fit the music, as-in, these guys are fucked up, this sound is fucked, and the relationship between the crazy songs and the raw recording sound are what makes it a unique listen, that has made me smile since '88.
"Play ethnicky jazz to parade your snazz. On your five grand stereo."