Nice use of dynamics

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Fieryjack
steve albini likes it

Nice use of dynamics

Post by Fieryjack » Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:09 am

Just heard Autolux's "Here Comes Everybody".....chorus is a real attention grabber as the levels just seem to soar much louder than on the verse. NICE work on the drums and bass too....would love to learn more about that.

Other personal favorite examples of this technique include: Forgotten Favorite by Velocity Girl and Pink Floyd's Final Cut..."what'd he say? BOOM!!"

I wonder why this loud/soft technique doesn't seem to be used that much? Any other classic examples folks can think of where its used?

moschops
gimme a little kick & snare

Re: Nice use of dynamics

Post by moschops » Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:26 am

I've read countless articles and interviews about Jimmy Page's concept for Zeppelin to have alot of dynamics, "light & shade", etc, like the segue between
'Black Mountain Side' and 'Communication Breakdown'. I believe that light/heaviness is implicit in their name. I'm not sure if the same is true for Iron Butterfly.

FNM
takin' a dinner break

Post by FNM » Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:39 am

I believe it is (the iron butterfly thing).

I was just listening to some of Kyuss's last album, they seem to have a knack for what I consider to be album dynamics. Making the whole album flow wonderfully from somg to song.

waitingroom
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by waitingroom » Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:33 pm

Are you talking about And the Circus Leaves Town? I haven't really heard that, but Welcome To Sky Valley is a monster album. The bass sound and playing is right up with my favorites of all time, and the drum sound too...it's so organic sounding. And of course the guitars are fantastic. Very underrated band.

jajjguy
re-cappin' neve

Post by jajjguy » Wed Dec 08, 2004 3:41 pm

my top-of-the-head loud/soft list:
Polvo
Gastr Del Sol
Talk Talk "Spirit of Eden", "Laughing Stock"
Nick Cave
PJ Harvey & John Parrish "Dance Hall at Louse Point"
Thalia Zedek

Slider
george martin

Post by Slider » Wed Dec 08, 2004 8:36 pm

I'm with jajjguy. Spirit of Eden is a great dynamic record.

FNM
takin' a dinner break

Post by FNM » Wed Dec 08, 2004 8:36 pm

waitingroom wrote:Are you talking about And the Circus Leaves Town? I haven't really heard that, but Welcome To Sky Valley is a monster album. The bass sound and playing is right up with my favorites of all time, and the drum sound too...it's so organic sounding. And of course the guitars are fantastic. Very underrated band.
Yeah, you definately owe it to yourself to check it out. This and Sky Valley are my favorites followed by BFTRS. The sound is still there from Sky Valley, just a different drummer.

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Wed Dec 08, 2004 8:43 pm

The album "Rain Tree Crow" always moves me, in part because of its beautiful use of dynamics...
he took a duck in the face at two and hundred fifty knots.

http://www.radio-valkyrie.com/ao/aoindex.htm - download the new record (free is an option!) or get it on CD.

Cappy*tan
gettin' sounds

Post by Cappy*tan » Wed Dec 08, 2004 8:45 pm

June of '44 is pretty good at the loud/soft thing. Different way from say...I don't know...some grunge band from the early '90s or something. Godspeed You Black Emperor is good at it as well, although they tend to build to loud from soft more than just abrupt changes...Mogwai..