RNC settings

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
axial
suffering 'studio suck'

RNC settings

Post by axial » Thu Jul 31, 2003 5:33 pm

now this thing has been really fun to use, you can hear it working so its easy to kinda get dialed in.

But what are some settings and what do you use it for the most?

thanx in advance

i have two
don't worry we don't need to track, we'll fix it later!

axial
suffering 'studio suck'

Re: RNC settings

Post by axial » Fri Aug 01, 2003 12:59 pm

anyone?

j.hall
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by j.hall » Fri Aug 01, 2003 1:56 pm

i use mine for dust collectors and track sheet paper weights

anyone wnat to buy em from me?

PatrickBrown
pushin' record

Post by PatrickBrown » Fri Aug 01, 2003 2:03 pm

Uh, let's see. I have two of them I'm using in the channel inserts. Since I don't have more, and they're stereo, I have one compressing the bass, and the lead guitar, and the other compressing both the kick track and the snare track. 4 inserts being used.
On the one I'm using for the guitars, threshold is -3.5db, and ratio is 1.8:1 or so. Attack is .6 ms and release .5 sec. makeup is +10 or thereabouts. On the one for the kick and snare threshold is -1db, ratio is 2.2:1, attack is all the way to the left, full on, release is .7 sec, and makeup gain is +10. Both in Super Nice mode, which to me, is about is subtle as a sledgehammer, the way I use it. Subject to change, but that's where they are now. Alot depends on where the preamp gain and faders on the board are.
I like that ART Levelar for lead vocal. I need 6 or 7 more. (comps in general, not levelars, I'd rather not use one RNC for two like that,,but,,,,,) I don't claim to be a master of compressor use,,they're set like this cuz my ears said it was ok.

Rodgre
carpal tunnel

Post by Rodgre » Fri Aug 01, 2003 2:05 pm

J., you're kidding right?

I never liked them at first, and then somehow I figured out what it sounded good on, and then I started working with it more and more and now I can pretty much wrangle anything out of that box. Vocals....drum buss...2-buss.... I'm a fan.

Roger

Randy
tinnitus

Post by Randy » Fri Aug 01, 2003 4:22 pm

I'm not being flippant in saying this, but I start with the compressor at fastest attack and fastest release and then just start turning things until it sounds good. I consider the threshold knob the "how much" control. I used to keep notes on what worked and in what situation, but I was never able to find a rhyme or reason. It's all situation-specific to my ears.

When it doubt, twiddle. (and that works on so many levels...)

<br>

j.hall
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by j.hall » Fri Aug 01, 2003 5:03 pm

Rodgre wrote:J., you're kidding right?
i'm not kidding in the least....

call me a snob
but when you use 1176's
dbx 160
neve
api
amek 9098
focusrite blue
gates

blah blah blah

i seldomly reach for the RNC

i didn't really get that into them that much, and yes i agree that they are decent clean compressors when used in the really nice mode

i have a new rule with all my gear.....

if i haven't used it or turned it on in more then three projects, it's outta here

i haven't patched the RNC's in, in about 10 sessions

then have got to go to a better home

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Fri Aug 01, 2003 5:16 pm

call me a snob
SNOB!!

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sat Aug 02, 2003 11:41 am

[/quote]

call me a snob
but when you use 1176's
dbx 160
neve
api
amek 9098
focusrite blue
gates

blah blah blah

i seldomly reach for the RNC

if i haven't used it or turned it on in more then three projects, it's outta here

[/quote]

Funny, with the exception of the 9098, Focusrite Blue, and Gates, I use these same units and (add to that Urei LA3, LA4s, LA-22s, dbx 161, 160X, 165A, Distressors, Altec 436C, Manley Variable MU, Drawmer 1960, ADLs, and a host of other, more esoteric boxes, blah blah blah) and still find lots of uses for my RNCs. I've been called a gear snob on lots of occassions. Am I or am I not? I'm confused. I ask because you said "when you use" and I do.

I have access to too much stuff to use all the same gear on every project. Plus, I'm not so sure that I'd want to. That's what I like about what I do. But everbody's got their own thing. If I needed more units, I'd make you an offer. Ironically, I suppose if I had to use the same gear all the time, I can't think of too many more flexible units than the RNC.

When I need a good, quiet flexible stereo VCA compressor, it's killin.' I use mine on subgroups alot. It's great for background vocals and if you need to compress guitars, it can be cool for that. It's really nice on rock snare drum with a fast release and medium fast attack. This works well at higher ratios or at 1.5:1. I also occassionally like it on a stereo mix buss, when I need something that's not going to drastically color the sound. Generaly, low ratios, Super Nice mode, medium attack, program dependent release, and just a couple dB reduction on peaks. When I first got mine, I even cut vocals on a Grammy-winning songwriter with it and it sounded good.

Hope this helps!

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

EasyGo
buyin' a studio

Post by EasyGo » Sat Aug 02, 2003 1:14 pm

Just got my RNC, using it on a stereo pair of C3000s (set up in XY in front of the drum kit) going through both channels of the RNP. The RNP puts a nice shine on the normally bright C3000s, and the RNC just gives it a little bit of glue and reins it in a bit. Just a couple dbs of gain reduction, short attack, medium release.

With the phones on, I was surprised how much I could hear the difference between different threshold settings, given that it's thought of as being pretty transparent. I liked the more subtle settings as well as the more aggressive ones, but I've not worked with any 1176s or anything. Certainly better than the GC and MF type stuff (anyone need an ART?)

axial
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by axial » Sat Aug 02, 2003 3:51 pm

THANX YOU GUYS

yeah as far budget is concerned I had a hole and they fit right in, I have not yet had the chance to work with better compressors. and this what I have now this and some mini meek thing, so anyways thanx a bunch.

Deja V.U.
pluggin' in mics

Post by Deja V.U. » Mon Aug 04, 2003 2:46 pm

I rarely do not use the SUPERNICE setting. Be careful with the release times. On bass, I usually go 8:1 ratio, and reduce about 8 db depending on the bass sound and song. Everything else I usually use a different compressor. On vocals, try the attack at about 9 O clock, and the release at about 2 O clock.