Split console questions

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
CyberSpy
pluggin' in mics

Split console questions

Post by CyberSpy » Fri Dec 10, 2004 4:21 pm

Alright, i've always thought of split consoles as being the ones with the channel section the left and the monitoring section on the right.

But a friend of mine says that consoles like the Mackie 1604 are split consoles. So i looked up split consoles and saw someone else saying that the 1604 is one.

Is there some other term for these types of consoles where you can only listen to one or the other? Or are they just also refered to as split consoles?

object88
takin' a dinner break

Re: Split console questions

Post by object88 » Fri Dec 10, 2004 4:38 pm

Edit: Oh, wait, I completely misunderstood what you were talking about. Nevermind.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Fri Dec 10, 2004 8:00 pm

Usually "split console" means there is an input section and a return sectionthat is sitting next to each other physically SPLIT usually by the master section, like an API with the rotary fader section for tape returns, or a neve 80 series with the "jukebox" section with no EQ, just faders and panning. The Trident 80B has a fader section with a limited EQ on each channel for returns, that is also split.

A true "inline" console has the monitor section IN LINE (physically) with the nput section, so if you are putting something to tape (or daw, whatever) you can monitor still using a monitor section, but the monitor section just lives on the channel with everything else, RIGHT IN LINE with the fader and pre. That doesnt mean it is not a separate section, it just means it is inline with the other console functions. none of this really matters much IMO. that is the way it is.

CyberSpy
pluggin' in mics

Post by CyberSpy » Fri Dec 10, 2004 9:32 pm

So what would you call a console like the Mackie 1604, that doesn't have separate controls for the channel and the monitor? There's not a reverse button, or a channel knob or anything like that.

It's not a split console OR an inline console.

Family Hoof
buyin' a studio

Post by Family Hoof » Fri Dec 10, 2004 10:17 pm

I always thought it was a live sound console.

andyg666
re-cappin' neve

Post by andyg666 » Fri Dec 10, 2004 10:39 pm

my understanding is that an inline console has more than one signal path in each channel. you can use one channel for both tape sends and tape returns. the simplest example i can think of is the mackie 8 bus with the "mix b" knob and flip switches. something like a neve or ssl has more flexible routing between which signal is going to show up in which part of the channel strip and then be routed to the EQ, compression, inserts, auves, busses, vca groups, etc.

a split console does not have any of this functionality. one channel--one signal path. your tape sends and returns are "split."

sounds right to me that the term emintated from consoles that had the master section in the middle, tape sends on the left and returns on the right...

the 1604 has direct outs on channels 1-8 and channels 9-16 say "track 1-8" on them (if my memory serves--i sold my 1604 many months ago). so mackie designed the board to be used for 8 track recording in addition to live sound applications. the first 8 channels are sends, the last 8 are returns. making this a split console.

CyberSpy
pluggin' in mics

Post by CyberSpy » Fri Dec 10, 2004 10:45 pm

aaah, gotcha, thanks

rich
alignin' 24-trk

Post by rich » Sat Dec 11, 2004 2:18 am

wow that a wierd routing option on that mackie.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Sat Dec 11, 2004 3:21 am

rich wrote:wow that a wierd routing option on that mackie.
They put a lot of thought into how you'd use one for home recording, and how to put in all the necessary features without spending a lot of money. Hence the "3/4" assign button. It's really more useful as a channel mute, but they put in a very simple buss and output so you could eke out a second stereo mix if needed it.