the dreaded preamp/comp q...

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
tony moore
pushin' record

the dreaded preamp/comp q...

Post by tony moore » Sat Dec 11, 2004 8:41 am

i hate to post this, but i've pretty much stopped reading gear, er music, rags and since my tapeop subscription mysteriously stopped i've become really out of touch with gear. which has done wonders for the music i'm actually making, but that's not for here...

anyway, i have about a grand to devote to a pre and comp for vocals. most of the stuff i do falls within the tom waits, neil young, van morrison, wilco world. i've been using a rode nt2, art pro mpa and an art pro vla for something like 5-6 years now. i'm now recording with an mbox or old motu 828 and logic.

i'm just looking for something a bit "better" sounding. not that i really dislike the rode and art combo. it's defintely got a low fi yin yang thing going on... but especially on vox and acoustic instruments, i could use more clarity but not sterility.

i did the vintage thing years ago and frankly don't have the patience for upkeep and repairs. i just want the stuff to work when i want to use it...

i hope all this makes sense...

any suggestions?

thanks!

tony

i am monster face
buyin' gear

Re: the dreaded preamp/comp q...

Post by i am monster face » Sat Dec 11, 2004 10:21 am

Mod a Bellari MP503. A so-so mic pre to begin with (better than most of the lower end ART stuff in that price range, I feel) throwing in a 12AU7 and some new opamps and holy crap. Sounds awesome. I like this piece a lot more now. It's cheaper. I mean, it's not a grand, but if you have some extra and some time. Give it a try.

ian

tony moore
pushin' record

Post by tony moore » Sat Dec 11, 2004 7:57 pm

thanks ian! so what tube and opamps did you use?

tony

lancebug
re-cappin' neve

Post by lancebug » Sun Dec 12, 2004 9:32 pm

Theres a whole thread on the MP105 mod in here somewhere. I have one sitting around that is also on my to do list. Anybody remember the total cost for the upgrade?

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Sun Dec 12, 2004 10:16 pm

i am monster face wrote:Mod a Bellari MP503.
Here's the link for the RP503 mod from Black Lion Audio. I got Black Lion mods for two old 3630s and they sound incredible now. Matt's mod work is highly recommended.

Stephen B.
gettin' sounds

Post by Stephen B. » Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:52 am

How about the FMR Audio RNP and RNC? I've never heard the RNP, but I really like the RNC, and you can get both of them mounted in a rack tray for $685 at mercenary. I've read really good things. Anybody used this combination?
"Badness is only spoiled goodness."

C.S. Lewis

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Mon Dec 13, 2004 6:12 am

did you ever think of spending the whole budget on the micamp only?

I feel a great mic amp and the waves plugin comp equates to better results than an ok mic amp and and ok compressor..just my opinion..you could always ride the gain instead of compressing vocals anyway..

bigtoe
deaf.

Post by bigtoe » Mon Dec 13, 2004 6:27 am

"i've become really out of touch with gear. which has done wonders for the music i'm actually making."

i love doing the no mag fast! helps with a lot sometimes if you rely on it too much.

i'd think a nice preamp alone would go further than both. try some out. i think the hardy m-1 is life changing.

MIke

Tim Farrant
audio school graduate

Post by Tim Farrant » Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:31 pm

Perhaps you should look at getting a channel strip, ie, micpre, compressor and EQ, this keeps it all tidy and easy to use, plus there are some units around that allow you to access the various elements seperately - could be handy.

Cheers
Tim.

superg
audio school graduate

Post by superg » Mon Dec 13, 2004 11:25 pm

hey tony-my absolute favorite,affordable, class "a" mic preamp is without a doubt the vintech 1272. its a very sturdy re-creation of a neve 1272. Very colorful-two channels...great box,and can be had for about $1000. PeaceG

jtienhaara
steve albini likes it

Post by jtienhaara » Tue Dec 14, 2004 12:18 am

I just started playing with a Sebatron pre. I haven't tried dirtying up the signal yet, but apparently it is doable. But clean is bee-yoo-tee-ful. (At least compared to my Smackie -- which is quite clean until you crank the gain.)

If you want clean compression, combine it with an RNC as Stephen B. suggested. The RNC is very clean, but I find it a bit boring. For dirty compression (and just a tad over-budget if combined with the Seb), a used dbx 160 would be great for that style of voice, IMHO. I do tend to like a little bit of colour though.

Also keep in mind this is based on a somewhat limited exposure to the wide wide world of gear. $0.02! 8)

Johann