I'm a fullsail student, bare with me

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
snuffinthepunk
pushin' record

I'm a fullsail student, bare with me

Post by snuffinthepunk » Mon Dec 13, 2004 6:23 pm

I don't know what to ask as of yet but ah, i guess, i can ask a general question for the moment. what is the most important tip/trick you've learned through your experience with recording?

oh also, what console did the neve(s) 1073 mic pre come with? and what makes it so awesome? (in as dumbed down an explanation as you can give me...i haven't reached RMC yet)

Thanks kids
"no dream is worth being underachieved"
I love signal flow.

Imagine the possibilities!

www.primalgear.com

cgarges
zen recordist

Re: I'm a fullsail student, bare with me

Post by cgarges » Mon Dec 13, 2004 6:36 pm

snuffinthepunk wrote:what is the most important tip/trick you've learned through your experience with recording?
Don't tell people you went to Full Sail.

Just kidding...

But, no really...

Just kidding...

But no, REALLY...

ha ha!
snuffinthepunk wrote:oh also, what console did the neve(s) 1073 mic pre come with? and what makes it so awesome? (in as dumbed down an explanation as you can give me...i haven't reached RMC yet)
I believe the 1073 was avaiable in a number of the 80 Series consoles. What makes it "so awesome" is that it has decent headroom, but still distorts nicely when driven. This makes it sound "rock and roll," although that's probably got almost as much to do with the fact that we're all so used to hearing them by now. The EQ points are nice and musical and make sense. They also translate low-frequency material in a flattering manner to a certain extent, which makes them useful for drums and bass, and their midrange characteristics make them suitable for guitars and vocals as well.

It's a sound, just like any other.

The dbx 1066 is an RMC (Really Mediocre Compressor).

By the way, welcome to the board!

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Mon Dec 13, 2004 6:38 pm

the most important thing to know is there is always something to learn..

i believe 1073 modules are eq's not preamps the pres in those modules are called 1290..they were used in i think the bcm and some of the 80xx consoles..according to Dan Alexander's writings..

snuffinthepunk
pushin' record

Post by snuffinthepunk » Mon Dec 13, 2004 6:43 pm

oh yeah, actually one of my best friends is in the b.s. program now, he's been donw with a/s for a while...but he told me that sometimes it's not a good idea to tell people I went to fullsail. apparently some students in the past have made a bad rep for intelligent talented dedicated and professional dudes like me. that sucks. on the other hand, there are tons of fullsail students that have gotten sweet gigs, REALLY sweet gigs. like, 50% of the billboard top 300 on the music charts has fullsail students workin on the projects. so that's not so bad.

I asked about the 1073 cuz that same friend has a friend...well, actually, he's the rmc instructor here...who has a board with that preamp that they don't make anymore, and he's restoring it and is opening a studio in austin in the next 6 months. thought it'd be a good idea to start gettin the insides on everything i can if i want to be the best one day =)

Johnny Bennett
Destin, FL
I love signal flow.

www.primalgear.com

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Mon Dec 13, 2004 6:45 pm

BEARD_OF_BEES wrote:i believe 1073 modules are eq's not preamps the pres in those modules are called 1290..they were used in i think the bcm and some of the 80xx consoles..according to Dan Alexander's writings..
The 1073s are preamp and EQ modules. There was an EQ-only version, but I don't remember the model number right now. There were some 1073 preamp-only modules made for the BBC called the B002s, if I remember correctly.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

snuffinthepunk
pushin' record

Post by snuffinthepunk » Mon Dec 13, 2004 6:46 pm

ah crap that's right about it bein eq - i read an article in this months EQ mag about the 1073 and i mixed up two different pieces of info. but it's good to know nonetheless =P
I love signal flow.

www.primalgear.com

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Mon Dec 13, 2004 6:50 pm

Pre/EQ. Here's control specs, if you're interested:

http://www.danalexanderaudio.com/neveinfo/1066.jpg

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:01 pm

I think "1073" is a term describing the pre/eq(1290/1073) module and then also just the eq module (1073)..is that incorrect?

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:07 pm

here it is from Geoff Tanner's mouth on his forum :

http://www.auroraaudio.net/dcforum/DCForumID1/36.html

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:18 pm

The EQ module alone had a different number.

Geoff Tanner:
"Yes indeedy, with the exception of console talkback amps, 1272's were never used by Neve as mic pres... it was either a 10** series channel amplifier or a 1290."

So the 10XX would be the 1073 in this case. It could also be the 1066, the 1084, the 1081, etc. In the context of this discussion, Geoff meant that contrary to popular misnomer, the 1272s were not really the mic amps used in the 1073 pre/EQ modules. There was an extra gain stage in the 1290s not found in the 1272s.

Every 1073 I've ever used has been the same, functionally.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

snuffinthepunk
pushin' record

Post by snuffinthepunk » Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:21 pm

sweet thanks guys. don't forget to give me whatever tips you feel like sharing for now =P
I love signal flow.

www.primalgear.com

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:27 pm

snuffinthepunk wrote:oh yeah, actually one of my best friends is in the b.s. program now, he's been donw with a/s for a while...but he told me that sometimes it's not a good idea to tell people I went to fullsail....like, 50% of the billboard top 300 on the music charts has fullsail students workin on the projects. so that's not so bad.
Well, if you want to talk percentages, 80% of the Full Sail grads I've been around have had no business anywhere near a professional audio environment. They've caused embarrasing situations for almost everyone they've been around and haven't had a fucking clue what they're doing, but they've all got "SSL experience" on their resume. The one guy I know who went there in the late eighties is good. VERY GOOD. In any case, most of the studios in this area (and I'm not being harsh, I'm just being honest) typically put Full Sail resumes at the bottom of their stack, if they don't throw them directly in the trash. I've seen it happen. I've seen it happen at several studios. I'm just trying to prepare you. Not only do you have to be good, you have to be good and overcome the stigma that is now associated with Full Sail grads thanks to the loving faculty and staff who will graduate anyone with enough money to finish the program.

Knowing the model numbers of certain Neve modules should be WAY down on your priority list.

Sorry if this seems dark--I've just had SO MANY bad experiences with Full Sail grads--especially the ones who wave around the fact that they went to Full Sail.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:31 pm

that makes sense..so your saying that all the modules you used were the 10xx line amp variety of 1073 right?

so the preamp in a "1073" can be either a 1073 channel amplifier or a 1290 amplifier?

im confused..

snuffinthepunk
pushin' record

Post by snuffinthepunk » Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:47 pm

cgarges wrote:
snuffinthepunk wrote:oh yeah, actually one of my best friends is in the b.s. program now, he's been donw with a/s for a while...but he told me that sometimes it's not a good idea to tell people I went to fullsail....like, 50% of the billboard top 300 on the music charts has fullsail students workin on the projects. so that's not so bad.
Well, if you want to talk percentages, 80% of the Full Sail grads I've been around have had no business anywhere near a professional audio environment. They've caused embarrasing situations for almost everyone they've been around and haven't had a fucking clue what they're doing, but they've all got "SSL experience" on their resume. The one guy I know who went there in the late eighties is good. VERY GOOD. In any case, most of the studios in this area (and I'm not being harsh, I'm just being honest) typically put Full Sail resumes at the bottom of their stack, if they don't throw them directly in the trash. I've seen it happen. I've seen it happen at several studios. I'm just trying to prepare you. Not only do you have to be good, you have to be good and overcome the stigma that is now associated with Full Sail grads thanks to the loving faculty and staff who will graduate anyone with enough money to finish the program.

Knowing the model numbers of certain Neve modules should be WAY down on your priority list.

Sorry if this seems dark--I've just had SO MANY bad experiences with Full Sail grads--especially the ones who wave around the fact that they went to Full Sail.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
yeah like i thought, some students have made a bad rep for the good ones. it's alright though...I know I'm not in that bunch though. i also know that concepts are better to be solid on....that's why i asked for tips n shizz. tech specs are just good to know and what not. that's not #1 on my list though, by far, believe me I know that. I'm curious about the "letting people that have the money graduate" though. yeah, you can fail out for grades and retake the class once. fail out for attendance and you have to pay way more. if someone has the money to waste, sure, go for it. when they eventually graduate, they might get a job, but, they'll soon be weeded out cuz they're obviously not meant for it or not nearly dedicated enough to make a career of it. here is a tangent:

the last job interview i had (this was ah 7 months before school) i was tired of stupid people giving interviews so i made sure to make the interview go how I wanted it to so that the interviewer would know ME more rather than asking predetermined questions. I made sure that they could focus more on my mindset RATHER than my experience because in my opinion it's more important.

i know it's not exactly easy to get a great job in this industry, but I'm gonna give it a shot anyway cuz it's the only thing I wanna do.

*edit* see my sig
I love signal flow.

www.primalgear.com

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:56 pm

right on man..school is what you make of it..though what Chris said about feelings toward FS students is true..I've heard of it before as well..Hanging around all the forums is a good way to learn things..pages and pages of info and the ability to post questions and make friends..

other than that just start recording as much as possible to get the hands and ears on..