Local Studio vs. The Local rapper

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
midiot
pushin' record

Local Studio vs. The Local rapper

Post by midiot » Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:53 am

So you get a call from a person who wants to come in and record some songs, rap songs to be specific.

What approach do some of you use?

Let's assume they write their own music, bring it in on their MPC OR bring in data tracks and merge into the studio DAW, this would be the prefered approach I would think. Then all you have to do is record vocals, maybe some other things here and there and ta-dah.

Now, say all they do is rap. They have no clue where to get any sequences from, let alone sequence themselves. "Sequence, what do you mean?" Nor do they have a backing band. They just want to come in and lay down their vocals.

BUT! You can help them in their quest for music, be it as live musicians, or sequencing. What in the world do you charge the local rapper trying to make an EP, or LP for music production? Blend the time spent in producing the music into the hourly tracking rate? Or write some music, have them pick which they like, sell it for a flat fee, and basically sign over all rights of it TO them? Again, local rapper.
boom-ptch-boom

brado32
studio intern

Re: Local Studio vs. The Local rapper

Post by brado32 » Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:18 am

Send the rapper to a good producer first.. have the producer creats "beats" then have them come back to record vocals and what not.. Unless you are into the beat creation yourself, its better to throw it over to someone that does that kinda thing..

-Brad

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:25 am

brado32 wrote:Send the rapper to a good producer first.. have the producer creats "beats" then have them come back to record vocals and what not.. Unless you are into the beat creation yourself, its better to throw it over to someone that does that kinda thing..

-Brad
And if your are an engineer that does that kind of thing, of course you'll charge your hourly while making their beats.
The one studio i've worked in that also had some rap artists come in, they were all very prepared and all the engineer had to do was patch devices in gear and offer his perspective on a producing angle. Whenever the place would get a call like the one above, we'd make sure that everyone understood that if you wanted the studio to make your beats, it was going to add up cost wise.

goldenechos
gettin' sounds

Post by goldenechos » Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:25 am

midiot wrote:
BUT! You can help them in their quest for music, be it as live musicians, or sequencing. What in the world do you charge the local rapper trying to make an EP, or LP for music production? Blend the time spent in producing the music into the hourly tracking rate? Or write some music, have them pick which they like, sell it for a flat fee, and basically sign over all rights of it TO them? Again, local rapper.
Here in Brooklyn I hear a good deal rap cuts on the radio that feature locals rhyming over the flavor o' the month. For example the instrumental mix/ B-side from the newest NASsingle. Sometimes the backing track is spiced up with DJ wizardry (scrathing, filtering, echoes). Keep in mind this is Brooklyn radio I am talking about.

tony echos

josh hates you
studio intern

Post by josh hates you » Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:33 am

i have a good friend who records hip hop and is also a producer and and mc himself.

primarily he produces all his own beats from samples and live production(he plays keyboard, guitar, drums, bass etc.) but he also has a lot of friends in the hip hop community, some who produce beats for him to ryme over and vice versa. some of his friends make beats to sell to these kinds of artists. they range from $25 to $300 for the exclusive rights to use the original material.

unless he is collaborating with the artist he is recording they usually have their shit prepared and all he has to do is make the vocals sound nice. (creative use of backing vocals (done well) is harder than most think in hip hop)
how do you know if wont sound cool underwater

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:34 am

Each time I recording Hip Hop projects it has been different. I have had a guy come in with beats already made on a CD and just imported it into Pro Tools and layed vocals down over it. Pretty easy. I charge by the song and I just charged him half of my usual cost because we just did vocals.

I have also recorded a hip hop project with instruments and we put the whole think together in the studio. Drum machine, then keyboard parts, then vocals and that took as long as recording a rock band or something like that. That was free though because I was involved in the band..

EasyGo
buyin' a studio

Post by EasyGo » Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:41 am

brado32 wrote:Send the rapper to a good producer first.. have the producer creats "beats" then have them come back to record vocals and what not.. Unless you are into the beat creation yourself, its better to throw it over to someone that does that kinda thing..

-Brad
Good advice. There are so many sub genres of rap/hip hop, that you need tracks that appeal to the style the MC is trying to put across. Is it pop rap? Crunk/dirty south? 'Backpacker' stuff? Fans of rap/hip hop are fickle and like what they like.

fuckface
steve albini likes it

Post by fuckface » Tue Dec 14, 2004 12:08 pm

trodden,

your avatar makes want to throw up

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Tue Dec 14, 2004 12:31 pm

fuckface wrote:trodden,

excellent.

midiot
pushin' record

Post by midiot » Tue Dec 14, 2004 12:56 pm

EasyGo wrote:

-Brad
Good advice. There are so many sub genres of rap/hip hop, that you need tracks that appeal to the style the MC is trying to put across. Is it pop rap? Crunk/dirty south? 'Backpacker' stuff? Fans of rap/hip hop are fickle and like what they like.
I agree this is probably a good way to go as well. Inquire if they have a producer of the beats in mind if they don't produce them.

I guess it would be wise for me to get better acquainted with beat producers in the Detroit area. I know one, but he is busy with his debut national release now, so I can cross him off the list.
boom-ptch-boom

midiot
pushin' record

Post by midiot » Tue Dec 14, 2004 12:57 pm

agreed
boom-ptch-boom

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Post by dynomike » Tue Dec 14, 2004 1:14 pm

midiot wrote:

agreed
At first I found it enthralling and couldn't stop watching it. Then I realized I really couldn't stop watching it, and couldn't read text while it was on the screen! So I had to quickly scroll down. Damn those animated gifs.
Making Efforts and Forging Ahead Courageously! Keeping Honest and Making Innovations Perpetually!

wedge
tinnitus

Post by wedge » Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:24 pm

trodden... for the love of god, please change your avatar!

fuckface
steve albini likes it

Post by fuckface » Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:25 pm

dynomike wrote:
midiot wrote:

agreed
At first I found it enthralling and couldn't stop watching it. Then I realized I really couldn't stop watching it, and couldn't read text while it was on the screen! So I had to quickly scroll down. Damn those animated gifs.
i know everytime im looking at a thread as soon as i see it i scroll down so i dont have to look at it...

yukky

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Tue Dec 14, 2004 3:34 pm

wedge wrote:trodden... for the love of god, please change your avatar!
which god? goddess?
You're just jealous.