Pink Floyd studio stuff

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
cgarges
zen recordist

Re: Pink Floyd studio stuff

Post by cgarges » Thu Dec 16, 2004 10:13 am

Fieryjack wrote:In the Leckie Tape Op article, Leckie mentioned the Household Objects sessions....anyone know what ever happened to these or other stories behind them?
I think they got part-way through it and realized that it was only going to be entertaining to a small group of people. Namely, the band themselves. Also, from a conceptual standpoint, they decided that it would really work best as a full album and most people weren't likely to get it. I'd love to hear it, though. I think there are two songs done somewhere in the EMI vaults.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Fieryjack
steve albini likes it

Post by Fieryjack » Thu Dec 16, 2004 10:58 am

Incidentally, Alan Parsons name is misspelled on Atom Heart Mother, I believe.

I don't know if there are any PF boots out there of Household Objects.

Fieryjack
steve albini likes it

Post by Fieryjack » Fri Jan 07, 2005 8:00 am

Regarding the making of Live at Pompeii, I recently read that Adrian Maben had a lot of B-rolls and other footage that got cut out of the original "Live At Pompeii".....Lots of "Documentary-style" and casual interviews with the group. He said that about 5% of this appears in the new "Directors Cut" (towards the end, before Set The Controls, I think).

Shamefully, the rest of it (many rolls of film) were DESTROYED by a warehouse in France because they "ran out of space"..... :shock:

Maybe someone should have told Mr. Maben that's what "safety rolls" are for!!

uk03878
ass engineer

Post by uk03878 » Fri Jan 07, 2005 8:39 am

Mark Cunninghams book - Good Vibrations the history of Record Production - has some good interviews with Alan Parsons about the making of the DSOTM

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Fri Jan 07, 2005 9:19 am

aishabag23 wrote:"Live At Pompeii" rocks my world.....
Yes, it's awesome, really well made film, the ampitheatre and the shots of them in the studio are both awesome. Do i recall correctly that there are some bits of them buying breakfast too, i'm not convinced we needed that. Still great though.
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com

Seej
takin' a dinner break

Post by Seej » Sat Jan 08, 2005 12:20 am

Yeah that's one of my favorites too. There's some good footage of PF recording DSOTM in it too which is a nice little bonus. Not to hijack but is the new Pompeii DVD the same as the VHS release? I've got it on VHS but would like to get the DVD so I'm just curious.
The dvd is a bit better visually speaking. Audio wise, good, except the drums have a crappy tinny delay on it. I wish I knew why they didnt remix from the multitracks into 5.1. And the speed still hasnt been corrected. Watching the b&w footage, its so obvious that the colour footage is 1/4 note higher. Playing guitar along to it, it's *really* obvious.
"You can have a crappy drum set and still be a good drummer. And then you can have a $15,000 drum set with all these drums and the drummer's crap."-Mike Gibbins (1949-2005)

http://www.soundcloud.com/Seej1982

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sat Jan 08, 2005 10:42 am

Rigsby wrote:Do i recall correctly that there are some bits of them buying breakfast too, i'm not convinced we needed that. Still great though.
C'mon man, you should know where that was filmed!

Chris

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sat Jan 08, 2005 10:43 am

Seej wrote:I wish I knew why they didnt remix from the multitracks into 5.1.
Because the multitrack masters don't exist. Is the DVD in stereo? I can't remember.

Chris

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Sun Jan 09, 2005 12:06 am

cgarges wrote:
Rigsby wrote:Do i recall correctly that there are some bits of them buying breakfast too, i'm not convinced we needed that. Still great though.
C'mon man, you should know where that was filmed!

Chris
Was it really? I remember them going through a front door from the street into the cafe, which the AR cafe doesn't have (well it has a garden square outside, but that's not what i remember), maybe i'm getting it confused with the 'spam' Monty Python sketch, in fact i'm sure i am. Haven't seen either for a while.
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sun Jan 09, 2005 9:51 am

Yeah, there weren't any scenes of them entering the cafe. Those scenes were indeed filmed downstairs at Abbey Road.

Chris