Pink Floyd studio stuff

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
DavidATX
takin' a dinner break

Pink Floyd studio stuff

Post by DavidATX » Wed Dec 15, 2004 12:40 pm

Does anyone around here know of any on line resources such as interviews with Pink Floyd or engineers talking about the Meddle, Dark Side of the Moon, and Wish You Were Here sessions? Or does anyone have or know of a website that has photos of them in those sessions? Not necessarily technical photos, candid ones of the band recording or fucking off inthe studio would be cool too.

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Re: Pink Floyd studio stuff

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Wed Dec 15, 2004 12:46 pm

the DSOTM DVD is kinda awesome.

john
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

fuckface
steve albini likes it

Post by fuckface » Wed Dec 15, 2004 12:56 pm

ya i just bought the "classic albums - dark side of the moon" and its fuckin cool.... check out the tape loop on Money... wild

jmligt
alignin' 24-trk

Post by jmligt » Wed Dec 15, 2004 12:59 pm

I'll add to the "go buy the DSOTM classic album DVD" list here. I think I've watched it 20 times. I never tire of it. I wish they would put out a DVD of nothing but Parsons at the console going through the whole album like he does with a few of the songs on the DVD. That and the scenes where Gilmour is going through his solos or showing how he programs that synth are worth the price of the DVD and then some.

aishabag23
gettin' sounds

Post by aishabag23 » Wed Dec 15, 2004 1:03 pm

"Live At Pompeii" rocks my world.....

bunny
gettin' sounds

Post by bunny » Wed Dec 15, 2004 1:16 pm

pompeii is the best music video EVER. period. better than imagine, let it be, all that stuff. especially the original laserdisc, or the "original cut" that's on the new dvd... all the hokey digital animation crap that was added to the director's cut is weak. and to add it, they removed shots of pink floyd playing...

i think the book behind the glass has some notes about different pink floyd recordings. nothing too detailed (like "we used the wankalizer on this setting for this song"), but general process stuff from the producer of DTSOTM, etc.

Fieryjack
steve albini likes it

Post by Fieryjack » Wed Dec 15, 2004 1:20 pm

There was a recent interview in Tape Op with John Leckie (my all time favorite Tape Op article....) who was engineer on Meddle and Tape Op on Dark Side. I believe he speaks a bit about some techniques in that.

Check it out....issue 42 I think.

I second those votes for buying Dark Side DVD and Pompeii....incredible stuff.

DavidATX
takin' a dinner break

Post by DavidATX » Wed Dec 15, 2004 1:27 pm

Thanks yall. Yeah, have been listening to Pink Floyd since I was a teenager...but to me, those three albums are PERFECT. I know there are a lot of "purists" ou there that like the syd barrett stuff more though. I just recorded a band doing a KILLER cover of Breathe...so I have been listening to all three of those albums back to back in the dark for like 2 weeks haha.

Simply beautiful albums...well written, well played and well recorded...and when I use the word "well" I am meaning "un-fucking-believeable."

Fieryjack
steve albini likes it

Post by Fieryjack » Wed Dec 15, 2004 1:30 pm

Mike Hedges (Cure, Siouxsie, Beautiful South, etc.etc.) owns that original EMI console that DSOTM was done on. In fact, there is a pic of it in Dec.'s Sound On Sound. Its a beast

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Wed Dec 15, 2004 8:21 pm

Howard Massey's "Behind The Glass" has some really great interviews in it with Alan Parsons, John Leckie, and Mike Hedges.

There's also a book by Cliff Jones called "Another Brick In The Wall: The Story Behind Every Pink Floyd Song" that is just fucking awesome. Great pictures, especially of sessions in Abbey Road #2 during the Atom Heart Mother sessions.

There are also a couple of cool photos in the Abbey Road history book by Brian Southall, Peter Vince, and Allan Rouse.

TapeOp recently had great interviews with Alan Parsons and John Leckie and about a year or two ago, they had a great one with Bob Ezrin.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

b3groover
deaf.

Post by b3groover » Wed Dec 15, 2004 8:25 pm

Kind of off topic, but I first started to listen to Floyd in middle school, rummaging through my pop's vinyl. Not being very observant, I always thought that DSOTM was recorded much later than it was. Like 1977 or so. Only recently (a few years ago) did I discover that it was recorded in 1972.

That fact still blows my mind.

sonikbliss
buyin' a studio

Post by sonikbliss » Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:08 pm

aishabag23 wrote:"Live At Pompeii" rocks my world.....
Yeah that's one of my favorites too. There's some good footage of PF recording DSOTM in it too which is a nice little bonus. Not to hijack but is the new Pompeii DVD the same as the VHS release? I've got it on VHS but would like to get the DVD so I'm just curious.

Fieryjack
steve albini likes it

Post by Fieryjack » Thu Dec 16, 2004 7:36 am

I can't understand why PF hasn't released some of its old live stuff. I know of several tapes "from the board" circa '70 to '74 that were ridiculously good.

It's ashame these can't be properly mastered/packaged. Floyd had an entirely different persona/sound/feel live that hasn't ever been captured except somewhat on Live at Pompeii (except there's no audience there!!....would have killed to have been a soundman on THAT video).

In the Leckie Tape Op article, Leckie mentioned the Household Objects sessions....anyone know what ever happened to these or other stories behind them?

moschops
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by moschops » Thu Dec 16, 2004 8:20 am

Fieryjack wrote:I can't understand why PF hasn't released some of its old live stuff. I know of several tapes "from the board" circa '70 to '74 that were ridiculously good.

It's ashame these can't be properly mastered/packaged. Floyd had an entirely different persona/sound/feel live that hasn't ever been captured except somewhat on Live at Pompeii (except there's no audience there!!....would have killed to have been a soundman on THAT video).

Yes! The 70-71 Peel shows are outrageous in both sound and performance. Would love to know how that was recorded. Also, the San Fran PBS broadcast. They were so good at laying down that somber mood. Can't believe they haven't been released legit.

1chroma7
alignin' 24-trk

Post by 1chroma7 » Thu Dec 16, 2004 9:05 am

fairly off topic...
i just noticed on meddle, john leckie's name is misspelled as "john lackie"...at least on the vinyl. i wonder if this was an intentional joke on their part?