What Did You Work On Today? 12-16-04

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
jaythemilky
pluggin' in mics

Re: What Did You Work On Today? 12-16-04

Post by jaythemilky » Thu Dec 16, 2004 9:52 am

loading data, then mixing a great rock group "bubingah"
life is good

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Thu Dec 16, 2004 9:54 am

Rigsby wrote:What you been up to Chris?
Well, in reality, I was up early because I had two gigs this morning. About once a month, I play drums for children's plays at a local elementary school. It usually involves three shows over to days, the first of which is usually at 12:50 and the second and third shows are at 8:20 and 9:50AM. The fact that the second day is so early is just about the oinly bummin' thing about the gig. The kids are amazing. I love doing these.

Afterwards, I went out and did some holiday shopping---joyous.

UPS just showed up with the new Tube Tech MMC-1A for me to borrow for review. Mmmmm. Looks nice. I'm sure you'll be able to read all about it in TapeOp some time around April.

I also just got a second Alesis Masterlink yesterday, so I'll probably fire that up and make sure everything works okay with it.

More holiday ahopping this afternoon and a jazz trio gig tonight.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

midiot
pushin' record

Post by midiot » Thu Dec 16, 2004 9:58 am

Joel Hamilton wrote:Vocals for the new unsane record I have been working on for a week. all the basics sound completely sick. This is going to be the best recording of a heavy band I have ever done, period. we start mixing tomorrow, and I am looking forward to it. There is no EQ on anything and it sounds H-U-G-E. Should be pummeling.

I really like my job this month.....
sweet! unsane rocks.
boom-ptch-boom

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Thu Dec 16, 2004 10:03 am

First off, good luck, djimbe! Hope all goes well!

Today I packaged up the first batch of "re: Alice" soundtrack CDs (it's a high school play day here on TapeOp, I guess). The rest of the CD covers should be back from the printers today. This weekend I have to wrap up editing the DVD.

Right now I'm listening to "Revolver."

Tonight is my company Christmas party, but what I really need to do is go home and put fresh strings on my Martin for tomorrow night's gig.

I'm about to dive into triple-checking that all the files from Sunday's tracking session with djimbe got to my hard drive without incident so he can clear his drives off.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Thu Dec 16, 2004 10:15 am

Rearranged my basement studio (storage cabinets now on one end, regular stereo along the long side, monitoring station still on far end). Much better- it was feeling like a subway tunnel before.

Laugh all you want, but HGTV is not bad for learning how to arrange furniture. There's a new show in January that deals with nothing but rearranging existing furniture, and Decorating Cents has a section on this. Also, the HGTV show Mission Organization always seem to be reorganizing basements, garages and work rooms.

If you're interested in reading about it, here's a book that's helpful: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... ce&s=books

Dave Nutz
pushin' record

Post by Dave Nutz » Thu Dec 16, 2004 11:26 am

contract and credit negotiation.

oh yippee.
01010100 01100001 01101011 01100101 00100000 01001101 01100101 00100000 01110100 01101111 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 01110010 00100000 01101100 01100101 01100001 01100100 01100101 01110010 00100001

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Thu Dec 16, 2004 11:35 am

I figured out who had my website registration and re-newed it. It'll be back up in a couple days...

xonlocust
tinnitus

Post by xonlocust » Thu Dec 16, 2004 12:00 pm

midiot wrote:
Joel Hamilton wrote:Vocals for the new unsane record I have been working on for a week. all the basics sound completely sick. This is going to be the best recording of a heavy band I have ever done, period. we start mixing tomorrow, and I am looking forward to it. There is no EQ on anything and it sounds H-U-G-E. Should be pummeling.

I really like my job this month.....
sweet! unsane rocks.
i cant wait to hear this too. joel - you get to work on all the great amrep bands. you should get boss hog to go back to thier glory days and make another record like cold hands with you.

today i gotta pick up a reference disk made from a 1/4" mix dump - check it out to make sure it's cool before it goes to mastering. go and see a rock show tonight.

dealing with idiotic clients at the day job that redefine the term imbicile. i also still hate flash.

nacho459
re-cappin' neve

Post by nacho459 » Thu Dec 16, 2004 12:17 pm

Put a Herbie Hancock record on the turn table, Headhunters to be exact. When It's done with Side A I'm gonna go get some lunch, and get some pictures I took of a RCA44 to get developed.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Thu Dec 16, 2004 12:22 pm

Yeah I am stoked to be doing this record. We were sitting around this morning writing lyrics with Frank Black sitting on the couch. He is here doing shows at hammerstein with the pixies. Pretty surreal to have chris spencer screaming in the live roowith Dave (the bass player) with headphones on the couch and Frank Black sitting there smiling.....

Like I said,
I like my job.

Milkmansound
george martin

Post by Milkmansound » Thu Dec 16, 2004 12:57 pm

The usual repairing Televisions and Stereos for the man. Then tonight I get to mix one of my favorite bands ever at the club: Moon Boot Lover

In between I am meeting a tapeopper off the board here to buy his 896. Then I will be posting some gear in the for sale/trade forum and refresh 6,000 times until I get a bite.

I also have 3-4 tech 1200's to work on sometime today (I'll have to enter a time rift to get that done)

I will be bringing my new Aqua Teen Hunger Force season 3 DVD's to the club, and playing them after sound check because its the funniest thing ever - and I'll be pigging out on fried food and sode while I watch it.
(((((((((((((((((((((((((())))))))))))))))))))))))))))
www.pedalsteelamp.com
www.milkmansound.com
Follow me on Facebook!

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Thu Dec 16, 2004 9:43 pm

nacho459 wrote:Put a Herbie Hancock record on the turn table, Headhunters to be exact. When It's done with Side A I'm gonna go get some lunch, and get some pictures I took of a RCA44 to get developed.
That's a good record. My dad had that on LP. I bet it's around here somewhere.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

jerrymac
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by jerrymac » Thu Dec 16, 2004 10:18 pm

Today I woke up with a terrible headache, but as the day went on, it faded away, so I got a lot done. I transferred some 78s for a client of her mother singing in the 1940's. Made me apprciate single mics and cutting to disc on the fly.

Dealt with phone and paperwork that has been building up. Working for yourself sucks sometimes.

After that I got ready to do a run of thirty CD-Rs for a classical string quartet that I recorded. This is the second time I ran off the thirty CDs because I bought the wrong "White top CDs" by mistake, and didn't realize it. they were not compatible with the inkjet printer. I didn't realize this until I went to print on them. So the client gets 60 cds for the price of 30. Or I keep the 30 and use them for skeet shooting. Pull!

Quick band practice, always fun. Burned the 30 cds mentioned above. Wrote two noisy holiday songs for a party later in the month. Took a quick listen to the classical concert that I have to edit. Decided that I'd rather do it tomorrow. Made a list of things that need to get finished up. Working for yourself is fun sometimes.
jerry

aurelialuz
dead but not forgotten

Post by aurelialuz » Thu Dec 16, 2004 10:31 pm

Joel Hamilton wrote:Yeah I am stoked to be doing this record. We were sitting around this morning writing lyrics with Frank Black sitting on the couch. He is here doing shows at hammerstein with the pixies. Pretty surreal to have chris spencer screaming in the live roowith Dave (the bass player) with headphones on the couch and Frank Black sitting there smiling.....
fucking TITS.

we killed the guitar part for this song we've been struggling with forever. it was supposed to be a gimme; the song was strong, we knew it well...easy. but we tried every amp in the place with several mics and FINALLY got it with a small silvertone and the sank'ed bm5 about a foot off, with the back shooting out into the room. sank (no pun intended) right into the mix.

alex
"While every effort has been made to ensure optimum sound quality, priority has been given to historic content and importance."

xonlocust
tinnitus

Post by xonlocust » Thu Dec 16, 2004 11:33 pm

just got back from seeing aformentioned rock show - can i say this - jason kourkounis is a fucking badass drummer. he's at a whole differnt level - which someday i hope to be at.

wow. i feel so lucky to have witnessed someone that talented in person. so, what i worked on today was studying a better musician and figuring out what i can learn. he plays with such soul and conviction, but still totally nuanced. quite nice too even though i geeked out on him. he was driving back to philly after the show.