Thelonius Monk was crazy

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Re: Thelonius Monk was crazy

Post by Rigsby » Thu Dec 30, 2004 12:11 am

JaredEll wrote:
Zeppelin4Life wrote:yah but Idid see kenny G circular breathe a note for 42 minutes. impressive to say the least.
No.

Personaly I agree with Ron Carter and hope he chokes.
Ron Carter hoped Kenny G would choke?
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com

gog
alignin' 24-trk

Post by gog » Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:46 am

Zeppelin4Life wrote:yah but Idid see kenny G circular breathe a note for 42 minutes. impressive to say the least.
... maybe an impressive trick, but it has nothing to do with music.

... back to monk, epistrophy changed my life as a kid. it was like he was trying to play the spaces between the keys. just sounded so beautiful to me.

jeddypoo
re-cappin' neve

Post by jeddypoo » Thu Dec 30, 2004 7:18 am

I wouldn't put Miles Davis in the same category as Monk and Mingus.

The first two tunes I was able to pull off in the jazz realm when I first got serious about teaching myself piano were "Monk's Dream" and "Goodbye Porkpie Hat". Now that I'm mainly into pop, those two are among the short list of jazz musicians I'm actually still interested in. 'Specially Mingus, but it's hard to choose between them. As far as composers in the modern era, they're both hard to beat.

Have you all ever heard one of Mingus's piano albums? He was a pretty goddamn sharp piano picker, too. He even sings a little. Scary man.
I find adherence to fantasy troubling and unreasonable.

JaredEll
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by JaredEll » Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:29 pm

Rigsby wrote:
JaredEll wrote:
No.

Personaly I agree with Ron Carter and hope he chokes.
Ron Carter hoped Kenny G would choke?
Yeah, I saw a lecture/master class with Ron Carter at Berklee this summer. He played solo bass for about 20 minutes and then prophesized/answered questions until eventually the topic of circular breathing came up. He got really excited and started talking about how much he hates playing with younger horn players who do circular breathing and said that his favorite thing in the world was to play just the right note when walking that the lameo circular breather coughs mid solo. He laughed a bit and said he had done it a few times over the past two years and that nothing makes him happier. Later he said he hoped some circular breathers (namely Kenny) would just choke. It was a great talk, really amazing to hear all Ron had to say, he provided a number of insightful revelations on hip hop and contemporary jazz and his playing was incredible.

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:33 pm

I wouldn't put Miles Davis in the same category as Monk and Mingus.
um..... huh? :?
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/