Fourier analysis of Hard Day's Night chord, Jimi In A Box

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Bwanasonic
pluggin' in mics

Fourier analysis of Hard Day's Night chord, Jimi In A Box

Post by Bwanasonic » Fri Dec 17, 2004 1:26 am

Anyone happen to see the Jan. 05 issue of Guitar Player? A Fourier analysis of the Hard Day's Night chord, and an article about Digitech's upcoming Jimi In A Box DSP pedal. The Fourier article on it's own is interesting, but in combination with the Jimi In A Box article gave me a case of the wim wams...

Kerry M

leigh
carpal tunnel

Re: Fourier analysis of Hard Day's Night chord, Jimi In A Bo

Post by leigh » Fri Dec 17, 2004 4:03 am

thethingwiththestuff
george martin

Post by thethingwiththestuff » Fri Dec 17, 2004 10:39 am

Obviously, this level of signal-chain modeling?which is designed to bestow players with the sonic signatures of master guitarists?is so heavy and so cool that it boggles the imagination.
no. no. no no no no. nonononnnooononononononon....this IS NOT OBVIOUSLY SO COOL!!!!

AAAAHHHHHH.....morons.

heylow
george martin

Post by heylow » Fri Dec 17, 2004 10:47 am

"This pedal furthers Jimi?s historical legacy by letting players learn firsthand how he achieved his sound.?

TOTALLY how he achieved his sound....it's that simple....really. :shock: :roll: :x

Mr. Dipity
carpal tunnel

Post by Mr. Dipity » Fri Dec 17, 2004 10:53 am

We were basically pulling out the best parts of Jimi, and, because of this, the pedal is a marvelous tribute to him. The next generation of guitarists will be able to hear exactly how Jimi played??Oh, that?s how he got that sound.
Oh course - a plastic digi-crap pedal from guitar center.

lonesome_tone
takin' a dinner break

Post by lonesome_tone » Fri Dec 17, 2004 11:24 am

this pedal already exists in analog form, it's called the foxrox captain coconut. strat, marshall and talent not included.

everything i've ever tried from digitech is a major piece of garbage. there's no way this thing even sounds passable. kinda funny how condescending they are in the article, too- 'saturday night heroes and baby boomers'- are they implying that working musicians and pros actually use digitech??

coniferouspine
re-cappin' neve

Post by coniferouspine » Fri Dec 17, 2004 12:10 pm

The important point is that the piano is there because the math says it is.
Wait a second, I'm not sure I buy this! He's basically saying that because his digital program can't suss out the notes being played, it *has* to be a piano in there. The presence of a piano is his "magic bullet" that explains why his computer program can't explain the chord as guitars, that's bogus! I may be a Luddite, but I still think that it's very plausible that a 12-string, a 6-string and a bass double-tracked and run thru Vox amps could easily stack up to create a sound that could very well stump a computer, just like Beatles records have consistently proven they can stump the human ear. I'll have to listen to the chord again (haven't listened in years, actually) but I don't like this guy's "it's a piano because the computer says it is" attitude. I've heard guitars that sounded like basses, and voices that sounded like cellos, pianos that sound like bells, blah blah blah. Frequencies can be mussed with. Who knows, he may be right, but this guy sounds to me too much like he's messing with the Beatles sonic and historical data to get it to match what the computer tells him to say. Under certain audio circumstances, you can get all kinds of frequencies and seemingly-impossible low and high notes out of electric guitars, especially if you have a bunch of AC30s and Rickenbacker 12-strings laying around in Abbey Road!

Harumph!
"Every song needs a cranked marshall for mojo, even if decorum requires muting the track."

Knights Who Say Neve
buyin' a studio

Post by Knights Who Say Neve » Fri Dec 17, 2004 12:19 pm

BULLSHIT!

Good, I got that off my chest. The estate of Jimi Hendrix stops at nothing to milk his name for a few bucks, don't they?

coniferouspine
re-cappin' neve

Post by coniferouspine » Fri Dec 17, 2004 1:00 pm

salad49 wrote:Good, I got that off my chest. The estate of Jimi Hendrix stops at nothing to milk his name for a few bucks, don't they?
Yea, it's really messed up and sad. He died with no will, and his father inherited it all with no knowledge of Jimi's business arrangements or contracts and no idea what to do with the estate, it was a big mess, Hendrix's affairs were dubiously handled by Alan Douglas for many years before Al Hendrix managed to wrestle the estate back from Douglas in the early '90s; then the real blatant cash-in stuff started when his father got ill in the late '90s and died in 2002, and Hendrix's stepsister Janie and her cousin wound up getting control of the whole thing, allegedly by cutting Hendrix's real brother Leon out of the will. I don't know what's up with it now, but there was a pretty big court battle going on about it up in Seattle earlier this year. Really awful.

EDIT: I didn't mean to imply in my post that Alan Douglas did a good job, far from it, that was just an accident of the wording the way I wrote it.
Last edited by coniferouspine on Fri Dec 17, 2004 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Every song needs a cranked marshall for mojo, even if decorum requires muting the track."

SpockPicasso
gettin' sounds

Post by SpockPicasso » Fri Dec 17, 2004 1:17 pm

I put my jimi in your mom's box last ni...

Oh. Sorry. Wrong board.

-sp
Down in the basement we hear the sound of machines...

choke3d
alignin' 24-trk

Post by choke3d » Fri Dec 17, 2004 1:28 pm

i disagree regarding the handling of the Hendrix legacy. Do you not remember the string of shitty releases of the late seventies/early eighties (cry of love, crash landing, voodoo soup, etc.) The family established Dagger Records, a GREAT official bootleg resource, put out the box set (which is like the holy grail for hendrix collectors) and have released fantastic dvd's. They re-sequenced his last release to reflect his original intentions, put out audiophile-grade vinyl re-releases of the albums, and on and on. If they want to put out a shitty stomp-box to grow a new generation of young fans, so be it.

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Fri Dec 17, 2004 1:39 pm

Sadly, Jimi is in a box, and he's probably spinning in it.

"But as far as I know, they may be trying to wrap me in cellophane and
sell me; brothers help me, and don't worry about looking at the score."

I have to disagree with some here regarding digitech-- I have a bnx3 and like it a lot.

Knights Who Say Neve
buyin' a studio

Post by Knights Who Say Neve » Fri Dec 17, 2004 3:47 pm

choke3d wrote: If they want to put out a shitty stomp-box to grow a new generation of young fans, so be it.
"You're inspired by Hendrix, kid? Buy this shitty digital box. Sell it in two years at 1/4 what you paid for it when you wise up. Sucker".

tiger vomitt
dead but not forgotten

Post by tiger vomitt » Fri Dec 17, 2004 4:27 pm

i just heard the hard day's night chord for the first time (id heard the song before but never took notice of the opening chord)

of course there's a piano in it. i dont understand, not everyone is hearing that?

0xeneye
pushin' record

Post by 0xeneye » Sun Dec 19, 2004 10:50 am

of course there's a piano in it. i dont understand, not everyone is hearing that?
I've always thought that too.... Yea, they had 12 string Ricks and AC-30's, but also a piano at Abbey Road...why is this so unbelievable?
0x