Recording Rock Bands Without a Bass Player

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
lukeduplex
audio school graduate

Recording Rock Bands Without a Bass Player

Post by lukeduplex » Sat Dec 18, 2004 6:32 pm

The rock band i am in right now has no bass player, just 2 guitars and drums. Therefore I have a question: What would be some cool/creative techniques to make up for this in the recording process? I am a budding recording engineer and have some ideas, but i'd like to hear what others have done. I'd also like to hear an argument or two against the "making up for it" approach. So what if there is no bass in the recording, right?

Thanks
Lucas

leigh
carpal tunnel

Re: Recording Rock Bands Without a Bass Player

Post by leigh » Sat Dec 18, 2004 7:33 pm

I would just look at it as, more room in the mix for kick and the low end of guitars. So in that way, it's not "making up for anything," by adding anything, there's just fewer things competing for that frequency range. Mixing (which is an art of compromise to begin with) becomes simpler.

The Jon Spencer Blues Explosion album "Orange" is a well-produced example of this. There's bass on some tracks, but on much of it, it's just Jon playing low chords/bass lines on his guitar. The other guitar player, Judah, typically takes a higher register for his parts, so the low end stays uncluttered. And then there's plenty of room for that kick!

Track 4 on Orange, an instrumental titled "very rare", illustrates this mix approach. There's a few overdubs of extra guitars, organ, and claps, but just in parts, to add a bit of flavor here and there. The basic "frequency structure" of the mix has the low end coming from one bassy guitar line and the kick.

Leigh

Moon Unit
gettin' sounds

Post by Moon Unit » Sat Dec 18, 2004 7:54 pm

I had a band come in once that had a guy sing the bass parts in to an octave pedal. Afterwards we'd fuzz it up a little and jack up the low end. And it sounded really cool.

nlmd311
tinnitus

Post by nlmd311 » Sat Dec 18, 2004 8:43 pm

lukecdog wrote:...I'd also like to hear an argument or two against the "making up for it" approach. So what if there is no bass in the recording, right?

Thanks
Lucas
Go see the Oxes!, well um atleast listen to them. I could be wrong, but I don't believe there is to be a single bass to be found on their recordings. Regardless, a great bass-less band!

I like what leigh said about having that extra room there. Really when it comes down to it, you will have one less source to muck up things. It really depends on what you are playing though and how it is being tracked I suppose.
Are you feeling that the songs you are to record could use the help of a bassline or two, or just hypothetically wondering? Sometimes when I don't want a really "bassy" bass part (read not a bass part, but a bass part... :roll: ) I will turn the tone knob down a little on one of my guitars, drop the pick and pluck the string. That has helped me out of a jam many a time and gives you a cool other sound without having to have another instrument plugged in, or tuned, etc.

-Darrill
slowly panning across something kind of crappy...

darjama
tinnitus

Post by darjama » Sat Dec 18, 2004 9:59 pm

if you don't want a bass "substitute," make sure that you've got a well-tuned kick and you're happy with the sound. Probably a tighter sound is better.

You'd be surprised how much bass you can get out of a closed miced guitar amp without any low cut too.

assfortress
steve albini likes it

Post by assfortress » Sat Dec 18, 2004 10:32 pm

yeah make the kick drum the hugest thing ever,
"It?s the consequence you?ll pay, as long as you got the sound of it blowing up on tape."

8th_note
buyin' gear

Post by 8th_note » Sun Dec 19, 2004 12:13 am

One trick I've used is to copy a guitar track and use a plugin to make the track an octave lower. You can play with the EQ of the track before the plugin to help get the proper effect.

jc
takin' a dinner break

Post by jc » Sun Dec 19, 2004 12:43 am

turn the guitar amps all the way up.

use more amps than there are guitars.

i realize that this may sound like a joke.
satisfactoryatburntsienna dt com

0xeneye
pushin' record

Post by 0xeneye » Sun Dec 19, 2004 1:16 am

Listen how Sleater Kenny do it...
0x

marcusb
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by marcusb » Sun Dec 19, 2004 2:15 am

I've recorded a few local guitar + drums only bands and came to the conclusion that they don't have bass so why try and "substitute" at all. I know it can initially feel a little weird mixing without bass but like many have mentioned it really does open up a world of interesting options at mix-time.

You can really really go to town on the guitars which is nice. I do find however that the band can't afford to be sloppy cos the engineroom can't pickup the slack so much.

CHeers,
Marcus

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Sun Dec 19, 2004 5:32 am

I have this boss pitchshifter that has two outputs and we used to have one clean signal going to the guitar amp and the pitchshifted output to a bass amp. Often we wouldn't use the pitchshifter at all, just the pedal to duplicate the signal and we'd take out all the treble from the bass amp, just allowing the low end to shine through. Helps to have a compressor in the chain too.
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com

AGCurry
steve albini likes it

Post by AGCurry » Sun Dec 19, 2004 7:53 am

Well... bass playing is more than the instrument you use; it's really a state of mind, or better, a way of thinking. If you have no one who can "think like a bass player", it's better to arrange your music so it needs no bass. I'm not familiar with the contemporary bands stated above, but I'm thinking of most of Little Walter's work on Chess, which has no bass. Contrary to what others say, I would NOT make the kick drum huge, as that will only emphasize the basslessness.

E-money
pushin' record

Post by E-money » Sun Dec 19, 2004 8:32 am

Can anybody in the band play tuba?

jp76
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by jp76 » Sun Dec 19, 2004 8:54 am

I assume you wrote the tunes without a bass player? Seems like if that worked, you should be able to make the recording work, too.

azsmith
audio school

Post by azsmith » Sun Dec 19, 2004 9:29 am

the last us maple record (purple on time) has that huge kick thing going on, and i think it sounds pretty cool. it definitely jumps out at you, especially when you compare it to their older recordings. that one of the guitarist has a bass string or two on his guitar (i think) changes things, too.