What are people using for Track Sheets For DAW Recording?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
blabgoo
audio school graduate

What are people using for Track Sheets For DAW Recording?

Post by blabgoo » Sat Dec 18, 2004 9:34 pm

Hi
I decided I wanted to make myself up a Track Sheet for keeping track of recordings. However since I am using a DAW / Computer, the concept of "tracks" are etherial and can expand and disapear, I found it difficult to lay one out. What are people using/doing for their track sheets?

Any suggestions or examples appreciatted!

Thanks

Nicole

cgarges
zen recordist

Re: What are people using for Track Sheets For DAW Recording

Post by cgarges » Sat Dec 18, 2004 9:35 pm

Ummm...I'm using track sheets. Call me old-fashioned.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Sat Dec 18, 2004 9:40 pm

However ethereal it all gets, you probably still think in terms of "track one, kick, track two snare," and so on. Even though there are virtual tracks and you can delete and juggle about at will.

I don't know how to improve on the old-fashioned track sheet, unless it would be an "e-sheet" that you could erase and stuff?
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

nlmd311
tinnitus

Post by nlmd311 » Sat Dec 18, 2004 9:51 pm

I use a combination of short hand notes taken in a composition notebook, and for some projects I will also use "standard" track sheets.
Some good discussion here,as well as a link to some freeware.

all the best

-Darrill
slowly panning across something kind of crappy...

KingOlaf
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by KingOlaf » Sat Dec 18, 2004 11:06 pm

I use DP3 and I just name the tracks in the computer and that's it. Sometimes I'll feel the need to make a comment about a specific soundbite but that's rare.
You're just what I needed

Mr. Dipity
carpal tunnel

Post by Mr. Dipity » Sat Dec 18, 2004 11:17 pm

I use a laptop computer, sitting on a music stand. So far, I just create a word document and access it in outline form. At some point I'm going to through together something in access.

It sits with each track all the way through the project, and though it's only partially a track list, it's pretty invaluable in remembering what I want to fix, when I'm listening to it during mixing.

Track lists are IMHO, less important in the world of instant recall and non-linear editing. Still crucial for recording the part of the signal and routing that doesn't get saved with the computer.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun Dec 19, 2004 12:57 am

I'm in CEP, and I note the individual files in their properties dialog - when I remember.

I also use naming conventions like, "VocLd1_Opto4-_FFT_HrdLmt+4."

This way, when I revisit to re-mix, I am more conveniently confuzzed.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

marcusb
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by marcusb » Sun Dec 19, 2004 2:20 am

specially when you hit that 32 char limit in PT :)

my technique is still evolving, but I tend to keep a big A4 notebook for each project and keep spurious notes in that. I've also taken to just keeping a blank text editor up and type notes as they occur, also use the comment field in PT a bit for reminding myself of dumb shit, region and playlist names also come in handy ..

I do miss track sheets so badly with some of the dogs breakfast sessions i've been handed to mix. "Can you mix the single .. sure, here's two 160gb firewire drives .. full OF CRAP!!!!" ..

Marcus

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Sun Dec 19, 2004 10:27 am

I name the tracks in the computer and have a book that anything musical goes in for any extra notes. I find that i make notes far far less with computer based recording and automation than i did before. I rarely feel the need for tracksheets anymore so i don't keep them around, just occasionally write a short list. Then again, i don't have a vast collection of mics and pres and i've got a pretty good memory for what was used and how etc, if i do anything really unusual i'll occasionally jot it down but that's probably stuff i'll remember anyway.
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Sun Dec 19, 2004 11:28 am

I use track sheets, because I usually start on tape. I name everything in protools, but I may occasionally notate something.

I just use a track sheet as a "channel sheet" if I am doing a really complicated, million channel mix. usually I just put tape above AND below the faders to show the signal path, like on the main vocal I will have "VOC*" above the fader, and "1176/33609" below. I will also mark the compressor/s with artist tape so I dont make some crazy move on the bass comp when I really wanted to adjust the snare or whatever..

Aside from that, track sheets work fine. If i need a recall, we can just chart everything with recall sheets (for the mix, no need for mic pre settings).

blabgoo
audio school graduate

Post by blabgoo » Sun Dec 19, 2004 3:55 pm

nlmd311 wrote:I use a combination of short hand notes taken in a composition notebook, and for some projects I will also use "standard" track sheets.
Some good discussion here,as well as a link to some freeware.

all the best

-Darrill
Thanks.. :) I have used some analogX software and never noticed that little program. Indeed paper is always nicer sometimes, but still a great thing to have a notepad for each track like that!