[b]unbiased[/b] mic reviews

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
HappyFunBall
audio school

[b]unbiased[/b] mic reviews

Post by HappyFunBall » Sat Aug 02, 2003 7:52 am

Does anyone know of an objective and thorough mic review website? I need a quick resource for general persormance reviews of vocals mics. Thank.

uqbar
steve albini likes it

Re: [b]unbiased[/b] mic reviews

Post by uqbar » Sat Aug 02, 2003 9:02 am

Reviews are never unbiased. Maybe you should check out the 3D mic pre CDs? They are a bit church-y for my tastes, but it would give you a small view of how different mics sound with a certain kind of singing.

Each mic has it's place, and reviewers always have their idea of what works for their own sensibilties - these probably aren't like yours.

Hope that helps,
mark

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Sat Aug 02, 2003 9:39 am

Every mic is useful in some situation, and every mic sucks in some situations. I don't even read reviews anymore. The endless discriptions of "airy top end", "meaty", "dark lower mids", etc.. WTF?? Fucking means absolutely nothing to me anymore. Just buy what you can afford and use it alot. To the point where you can hear it on a bunch of different sources. When you toss your choice of preamp into the equation, you're even more confused. Sorry I'm of no help!

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sat Aug 02, 2003 11:10 am

Mark's right. There really aren't any totally unbiased reviews, unless you're just looking at spec sheets. I think there's a Mic CD as well as the Mic Pre CDs. I've got the Mic Pre CDs and they're fairly useful.

I'm not so sure I agree with Joey. At least I don't have enough money to agree with Joey.

Ask questions here, if this isn't just a hypothetical post. You probably already know this, but most people on here are EXTREMEMLY helpful and patient. If you get alot of similar answers, then there's probably some legitimacy to people's claims. When it comes around to something like the infamous SM57 discussion, you'll just have to bite it and make your own decisions, which you'll have to do in any case eventually. But if you get similar opinions regarding a specific mic, you'll be able to make an informed decision before you spend your money. That's still no guarantee that you'll be happy with your purchase, but you'll have a bigger chance of getting what you expect than if you just went in blind.

I'm also a BIG advocate of developing a relationship with a specific retailer, rather than just shopping for the best price on something. If you do this, over time it will certainly pay off. Certain sales clerks or managers will be far more likely to let you return gear you don't like without a hassle or bend rules for you. One local retailer used to let me borrow gear to check out, even take out on a gig or a session before buying. (They'd make jokes like, "Hey, this cymbal smells like it's been in a bar!") They knew that if I liked it, I'd but it from them and if I didn't I'd buy what I did eventually like from them. This store closed about a year and a half ago, primarily due to the internet market. When the store had their going out of business sale, it was amazing to me the number of people I heard come through the door and say to the sales guys, "Man, what a shame that you're closing." The sales guys would invariably reply, "Well, maybe if I'd seen you in here sometime in the last few years, we wouldn't be."

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Bear
deaf.

Post by Bear » Sat Aug 02, 2003 11:47 am

I have a similar problem. No money. So I do read about mics and strive for a general idea of what use I'll get out of them. But as for finding unbiased reviews, this topic is pretty subjective. I really like mics that other people call poo. I really don't like mics that give other people hard-ons. But since I rarely have much money to spend, I try to feel it out with reviews and whatnot, then hope for the best. But every mic I've ever bought has come in handy in some way, so I never really regret my purchases, even if they aren't exactly what I was looking for.

But I think there's a better solution to this problem. If you can manage it, befriend some rich kid and talk him into buying all kinds of mics, then you can come over and try them out. Then, if you like what he got, you can knock him over the head with a tire-iron and make off with the goods. Much cheaper.
I am wangtacular.

HappyFunBall
audio school

Post by HappyFunBall » Sat Aug 02, 2003 2:29 pm

Thanks for information...I was a bit naive to expect there was such a thing as an unbiased review. I've got very little cash (how unusual) so I'm looking for a nice stage mic for vocals for under $100. There are some obvious choices, but one that I've just heard for the first time (sounded good) was the Samsun Q7, which appears to be another attempt to knock off the 57. Anyone have any experience with this?

Dingo
pushin' record

Post by Dingo » Sat Aug 02, 2003 2:31 pm

In the past two years I have never read a bad review of ANYTHING. I now look at all of the magazines (with the exception of tapeop) as product announcements rather than a source of unbiased information. Buy, return, buy would be my suggestion.

HappyFunBall
audio school

Post by HappyFunBall » Sat Aug 02, 2003 2:38 pm

Oops, that was supposed to be 'Samson'.

brakeshop
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by brakeshop » Sat Aug 02, 2003 3:14 pm

When is the last time tapeop mag gave something a bad review?

axial
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by axial » Sat Aug 02, 2003 3:54 pm

I've had success with tape op reviews, i dunno...
don't worry we don't need to track, we'll fix it later!

Meriphew
deaf.

Post by Meriphew » Sat Aug 02, 2003 4:54 pm

Dingo wrote:In the past two years I have never read a bad review of ANYTHING. I now look at all of the magazines (with the exception of tapeop) as product announcements rather than a source of unbiased information. Buy, return, buy would be my suggestion.
I think most mags would rather review a good product in their pages rather than wasting everyones time reviewing something crappy.

uqbar
steve albini likes it

Post by uqbar » Sat Aug 02, 2003 5:48 pm

cgarges wrote:I think there's a Mic CD as well as the Mic Pre CDs. I've got the Mic Pre CDs and they're fairly useful.
Ooops. I meant the mic pre CD - which BTW isn't totally cheap. As far as stage mic under $100, that still sounds like an SM57 or 58 to me. Your bands will be most comfortable with this old standard anyhow. It's pretty hard to destroy too.

If you're looking for stuff to mic drums or bass on stage maybe there are some other mics to consider, but...

mark

thunderboy
buyin' a studio

Post by thunderboy » Sat Aug 02, 2003 6:01 pm

Stage vocal mic for under $100?

Shure SM58.
If you are so inclined, SM 57. Saves a few $$$, too.

Every single sound guy or gal you run into knows what to expect with one, and you haven't thrown away precious income on something made by Samson.

TRUST ME.

jt
"most toreadors worth a damn are circumcized."
- Discs of Tron

kato
audio school

Post by kato » Sun Aug 03, 2003 9:17 am

HappyFunBall wrote:Does anyone know of an objective and thorough mic review website? I need a quick resource for general persormance reviews of vocals mics. Thank.
Here's some unbiased mic reviews that should keep you busy for a while:

ftp://ftp.jagunet.com/pub/users/tford/A ... c_Reviews/

honkyjonk
dead but not forgotten

Post by honkyjonk » Sun Aug 03, 2003 9:22 am

This guy, Ty Ford, hangs around at the rec.audio.com forums. He's by no means unbiased, but it's something. He doesn't really seem to all out praise anything. He's always able to find something that makes ______not the perfect ______ .
ftp://ftp.jagunet.com/pub/users/tford/Articles